The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One A Series

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Compact Mirrorless Medium Format

Oh my!

A tethered iphone viewer?

The A-Series - From Phase One
Even better than a tethered iPhone viewer... a wireless iPhone viewer.

This is already available with any IQ250 using the latest firmware and the latest version of Capture Pilot*. Refresh rate is around 30fps in normal light, latency is maybe 0.1 seconds (essentially real time) and includes 100% tap-to-zoom. It also includes wireless review of all images on the CF card including optional GPS tagging, ratings, 100% view, and histogram. With the next release of Capture Pilot we will also have automatic LCC correction by selecting the lens attached to the A-Series.

Alpa has made a nice angled iPhone holder for the A Series so that it can be held and used like a Waist Level Viewfinder if desired.

Digital Transitions is a Phase One A-Series dealer and will be hosting the swanky US launch party in NYC, and will be holding a VIP hands on preview of the Phase One A Series as soon as it ships to the US. You can sign up at the link above to be emailed when the schedule is finalized.

Phase One is really pushing the envelope on tech camera compatibility. Best in class LCC algorithm (including upcoming in-back LCC autocorrection), live view on the LCD for all IQ2 backs, internal battery, retina touch screen for focus evaluation, wireless review on iOS devices, Focus Mask (especially useful for Scheimpflug analysis), custom-adjustable exposure warning, and bullet-proof industrial design.

*Importantly we've found on two of our iOS devices at the office the new Live View feature is crazy fast and very high in quality, but crashes sporadically. Not a shock - the idea that they can manage 30fps onto a retina display wirelessly is pretty amazing - I'll forgive them if the first release is a bit buggy as long as they jump right on an update which makes it rock solid. It's also possible the issue is specific to our devices, though since it's happening on two that seems less likely.

Paul2660

Unless Phase has worked on the Capture Pilot viewing algorithm, the view at 100% will not be too useful. It's better than 100% on an iPad which is terrible but still not as sharp as the LCD on the back.

Curious if this is the same 35mm Rodenstock with the 70mm IC or a new lens. In the picture it's showing the older pink band.

No mention of movements. Not that familiar with Alpa but the camera looks like the TC.

Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Unless Phase has worked on the Capture Pilot viewing algorithm, the view at 100% will not be too useful. It's better than 100% on an iPad which is terrible but still not as sharp as the LCD on the back.

Curious if this is the same 35mm Rodenstock with the 70mm IC or a new lens. In the picture it's showing the older pink band.

No mention of movements. Not that familiar with Alpa but the camera looks like the TC.

Paul
I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the new Capture Pilot Paul! Download it and share. Make sure to turn on "respect retina resolution".

23HR, 35HR, 70HR are the supported lenses.

Correct - no movements.

Paul2660

I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the new Capture Pilot Paul! Download it and share. Make sure to turn on "respect retina resolution".

23HR, 35HR, 70HR

Body is TC - no movements.
I have version 1.7 installed which I assume is the most current. I will take a look later tonight. I always had "respect retina" turned on with the older versions.

Paul

Steve Hendrix

I have version 1.7 installed which I assume is the most current. I will take a look later tonight. I always had "respect retina" turned on with the older versions.

Paul

Paul - below is the post from Josh Booth regarding the 1.7 update for Capture Pilot:

https://captureintegration.com/capture-pilot-1-7-released-2/

And the 35mm lens is the 35mm HR, as Doug noted, which has the (somewhat) restrictive 70mm image circle, the 35mm APO Sironar has a larger (105mm) image circle, but does not equal the optical performance of the 35 HR.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

gerald.d

Steve - any news on when the iPhone holder will be available as a separate unit, and will it take the 6+?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

torger

Forgive my ignorance, but what purpose does the iPhone serve, except for making the camera look a bit funny? There's an excellent display on the unit already, right?

Is it just like having a tiltable screen like some DSLRs have (which indeed can be nice), or is there more?

tjv

Can someone please explain what "upcoming in-back LCC autocorrection" actually entails? Is it automatic LCC correction based on the back knowing what lens, focus point and aperture you are using (and lens movements if camera allows), sensed and applied automatically? Or is it essentially that you take the LCC shot as normal and can assign it to the relevant image on back? The former would be amazing, but I assume would require some kind of electronic communication between lens and back to be useful. The latter would be useful in some situations, if a little cumbersome in practice (at least in the way I imagine it being implemented.)

As for the iPhone holder, it all seems a bit superfluous to me. I get sick of needing to charge my iPhone battery everyday as it is. Plus it looks rather, well, silly? Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the TC itself is pretty hot.

gerald.d

Can someone please explain what "upcoming in-back LCC autocorrection" actually entails? Is it automatic LCC correction based on the back knowing what lens, focus point and aperture you are using (and lens movements if camera allows), sensed and applied automatically? Or is it essentially that you take the LCC shot as normal and can assign it to the relevant image on back? The former would be amazing, but I assume would require some kind of electronic communication between lens and back to be useful. The latter would be useful in some situations, if a little cumbersome in practice (at least in the way I imagine it being implemented.)

As for the iPhone holder, it all seems a bit superfluous to me. I get sick of needing to charge my iPhone battery everyday as it is. Plus it looks rather, well, silly? Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the TC itself is pretty hot.
I think the holder makes a huge amount of sense - especially for those who like shooting at waist level.

With regards the automatic LCC correction, I believe that the back will hold a library of LCC shots based on lens and aperture (I find it very difficult to believe it will also be by focus point). You'd have to manually identify both the lens and aperture shot at, although I don't believe this package is really targeted towards people who will be frequently changing the lens on the camera.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

anGy

The iPhone can be used as an EVF (as the live view of the Phase back is not very, let’s say, user friendly).
In absolute terms using the screen for framing is less than ideal I think (direct contact with the scene thru an OVF is a lot more involving).
But in the MF DB world it’s a nice trade off from the expensive and deforming OVF that – unlike in the 35mm world – are only used for framing without displaying any other useful information.

Anyway I’m questioning the usefulness of this new A system.
The camera and back are very compact, but the iPhone and Holder on top of them are not.
This is most certainly the best IQ wide angle performer (top of the class Phase One DB, vibration free Alpa body, cristal clear Rodenstock HR lens).
But there is no possible movement. So software correction of the perspective should be applied when necessary. Even if the keystone correction and such tool are well implemented in C1, they have an impact on the sharpness of the files. The right proportions on the subject could also easily be unintentionally modified.
Both compromises look unacceptable to me for such super high level system.

So in my view this A system will only be profitable for some kind of wide angle shooter that wants perfect quality in a rather compact system and doesn’t care about perspective corrections. Very, very sexy tool for such 'on the go' street/ landscape use, but very specific too.

This concept could be so nice with an Alpa STC body (less compact but the iPhone and holder aren’t neither on this A system).
Just a few mm of rise/fall movement of the back (say 6 or 8mm max) could prevent any later IQ alteration due to software correction.
An iPhone 6 or 6 Plus holder could also help make a real difference for reviewing the files, compared to the DB screen.

Yeah, some customers are never satisfied ;-)

Last edited:

miska

I hope us IQ1x0 users will see at least parts of the LCC firmware update too. It would be really useful to be able to tag each image with lens used, focal length and so on while on shoot.
If then this data could be ingested into C1 (which could automatically select the right LCC to use for each pic) would be extremely valuable...

Paul2660

Even with CMOS, I don't think Phase is transmitting Live View over WiFi and Capture Pilot. It might be possible with vr 1.7. What you get with capture pilot and WiFi is the ability to view images once they are taken ( a JPEG rendering) and camera controls for the df+.

I am also interested in the auto LCC as I can't see the back processing and applying a LCC in the field. Doing this in post on a computer takes quite a bit of processing headroom.

Paul

gerald.d

Even with CMOS, I don't think Phase is transmitting Live View over WiFi and Capture Pilot. It might be possible with vr 1.7. What you get with capture pilot and WiFi is the ability to view images once they are taken ( a JPEG rendering) and camera controls for the df+.

I am also interested in the auto LCC as I can't see the back processing and applying a LCC in the field. Doing this in post on a computer takes quite a bit of processing headroom.

Paul
I've been playing with this today. Live view is transmitted to Capture Pilot. It's really rather cool.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

anGy

i don't see why the I-phone holder would't fit on the STC or Cambo for that matter
Just making the assumption that there is something specific in the new A serie of Phase One as they do not show an option to customize it with the other Alpa camera bodies.
Maybe we will see a 'B' system tomorrow with the STC, then a 'C' system...

Paul2660

I've been playing with this today. Live view is transmitted to Capture Pilot. It's really rather cool.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
My error.

Only seems to work with the 50mp backs however per the notes on the Apple Store. Very cool indeed.

How is the image review at 100%?

Better than VR 1.5?

Paul