The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One A Series

rga

Paul - below is the post from Josh Booth regarding the 1.7 update for Capture Pilot:

https://captureintegration.com/capture-pilot-1-7-released-2/

And the 35mm lens is the 35mm HR, as Doug noted, which has the (somewhat) restrictive 70mm image circle, the 35mm APO Sironar has a larger (105mm) image circle, but does not equal the optical performance of the 35 HR.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Not sure with hand held that the difference in sharpness will matter... And with good retina like display, shooting more wide open at faster shutter speeds will be terrific: wider open now.

So when do you think they will develope a teathering option for the IQ1's and the iPhone? :ROTFL:

rga

With you guys the phone makes no sense when you have live view right on the LCD of the back. Wifi is something I would NEVER depend on as a working Pro. PERIOD

Sorry this is another gimmick that cost a **** load of money. I love the Credo 50 and equivelent CMOS backs now and what would stop me from just using a Alpa TC or Cambo compact with a lens and the backs live view. Nothing.

Look I have this thing against iPhones and the photography business as a whole. There ****ing up the Pro market and if you keep burying your head in the sand thinking it does not than ask me about the drop in revenue and jobs lost over it. Its killed the event side of the business because Joe smart *** can do it on his iPhone. Sorry for the attitude on it but its deserved. Ill become a chiropractor now and fix all those necks that never get to eye level any more. LOL
Don't hold back now, Guy!! :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea anyone that buys this I'm going to smack them upside the head.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Okay in all honesty it sounds nice but again its a gimmick so think first folks. We have so many very experienced MF shooters here that been around the block. Give them the respect of there experience before you give any marketing mumbo jumbo any credence. Wifi maybe a nice trick in certain situations but if i am 10 miles in the woods of Yellowstone do you really want to count on it. And after my testing of the Credo 50 CMOS sensor you really don't need squat than that live view LCD on the back itself. If you read that review i made it extremely clear you don't need ANY of those expensive viewers, focusing aids or any of that stuff. Save the money buy some glass. Buy a 80 dollar Hoodman loupe and thats all you need.

Guy Mancuso

There is another factor in here that no one has touched on but having bought 5 backs myself the question comes to mind. What about your upgrade path on your back. I know Dave always went by what i purchased my back for or that equivalent value at the time and that was dictated by Phase than you would figure the upgrade path on the back. Steve from memory I think this is how it works and with this purchase on your PO its NOT a separate item but a bundle. Now i maybe certainly wrong here and hope someone can give a exact answer but what about that upgrade path because it was always dependent on the purchase price you paid for your existing back or the value from Phase at the time of purchase. At least thats how I remember it.

Don Libby

I really don't see this as anything special. Again this is just my impression.

While I like the small footprint it tends to grow quickly when you begin adding the phone and other bits and pieces to it. When I see this I ask myself can I use it and will it make my life easier? The first past is yes, I could use it if I choose to but the second part is no. At least for me.

I need/require the ability to use movements. Shifting the back left - right - up and down. This doesn't do it. I also need to have the ability to shift the lens which this does. The biggest drawback for me is the lack of movements on the back thus a much more difficult time in stitching 2, 3 or 9 images into one freaking huge panorama.

Can it be used as a second camera body? Yes, however I'm very content using my DF and lens when I need quick work done. So as they say in the Shark Tank - I'm out.

rga

For my purposes, I see this as a handheld solution, or at least the start of one. Can't really see doing any kind of people images very easily with this as you need to have the shutter open to focus, then close it down and fire.

I think the FPS might be a better solution, though a bit large...

I need to get a 3D printer and make an RmFX. I think that is a very good solution, especially if it would easily swing away for double tapping the screen and then swing back. And a whole lot easier to see than the iPhone screen in bright light!!

I'll have to google to see if Hoodman or Schneider make a 90deg angle loupe that could be adopted...

vjbelle

Maybe your could elaborate as to why you are so enthusiastic..... I could care less what kind of results others get with slower speeds and the whole idea of trying to find the slowest usable shutter speed seems very counter productive. So.... you go the slow road and I'll go the fast road and lets compare results....

Victor

vjbelle

There is another factor in here that no one has touched on but having bought 5 backs myself the question comes to mind. What about your upgrade path on your back. I know Dave always went by what i purchased my back for or that equivalent value at the time and that was dictated by Phase than you would figure the upgrade path on the back. Steve from memory I think this is how it works and with this purchase on your PO its NOT a separate item but a bundle. Now i maybe certainly wrong here and hope someone can give a exact answer but what about that upgrade path because it was always dependent on the purchase price you paid for your existing back or the value from Phase at the time of purchase. At least thats how I remember it.
Guy..... you just gotta work with your dealer - in my case CI. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Phase works out the trade in value (in my case an IQ180) and Dave works with me on the Leaf. No matter what still looking at least 2 years down the road...

Victor

jagsiva

If the Phase announcement is not groundbreaking enough, there is always this new offering from our friends at Nikon...A gold DF!!

Everyone appears to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel to get new stuff out:)

Ulfric Douglas

I'm sure there's a gold Df, but that one's black...

DPR just announced the Phase A back thingy ... I really don't see what the fuss is about.
The new CMOS sensor give everything LiveView now, doesn't it? No matter what manufacturer.

Guy Mancuso

That's been my point all along with CMOS and it's really nice live view just a nice 80 dollar loupe is all you need.

Guy Mancuso

Guy..... you just gotta work with your dealer - in my case CI. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Phase works out the trade in value (in my case an IQ180) and Dave works with me on the Leaf. No matter what still looking at least 2 years down the road...

Victor
Yes of course but I do think there is a set value fixated by Phase. Dealers have little playing room around them. Not all dealers resell there trade ins as most go back to Phase so I think there is a hard number Phase goes by in those cases. But again I could be off on that.

jagsiva

Does anyone know if this is still a two step release or a single shot (built-in walkup) somehow built in to the body/lens/back combo?

rga

I think Alpa does have a single press cable that first wakes the back and then fires the copal shutter. Very elegant fit to their bodies and at price worthy of Alpa.
Unless I'm mistaken the process would be to lock the copal shutter open, focus with live view, close the shutter, and press this (or Kapture groups) double action cable.

stephengilbert

ALPA and Kapture Group both make cables that wake and fire a Phase back. Or the back could be set at zero latency, so no wake up signal would be required. But all ALPA's (other than the FPS?) require a sync cable to coordinate between the shutter and the back. The photos of the "new" camera are misleading in that they do not show such a cable.

It appears that the only thing new about this setup is the articulated iPhone holder. Prior versions did not allow the phone to be tilted, as would be expected since they rely on the phone's lens.

Guy Mancuso

I think Alpa does have a single press cable that first wakes the back and then fires the copal shutter. Very elegant fit to their bodies and at price worthy of Alpa.
Unless I'm mistaken the process would be to lock the copal shutter open, focus with live view, close the shutter, and press this (or Kapture groups) double action cable.
On the Alpa I used for the Credo test I did most lenses have a open and close switch. I just opened it than opened the aperture did my focusing in live view. Close shutter set aperture than cock the shutter and shoot. Sounds very wordy here but a simple operation.

jagsiva

On the Alpa I used for the Credo test I did most lenses have a open and close switch. I just opened it than opened the aperture did my focusing in live view. Close shutter set aperture than cock the shutter and shoot. Sounds very wordy here but a simple operation.
Guy, it's the "shoot" part I'm curious about. In the case of this new "A" series, would it be (a) zero latency - sync from lens to DB, fire cable release, (b) 2 step normal latency - push a button, have 3-5 seconds to fire cable release, or (c) have a wakeup/release in a single shot?

Guy Mancuso

To me it don't look any different than what we have today with zero and normal latency. But like to hear from a sales rep on it.

gerald.d

Guy, it's the "shoot" part I'm curious about. In the case of this new "A" series, would it be (a) zero latency - sync from lens to DB, fire cable release, (b) 2 step normal latency - push a button, have 3-5 seconds to fire cable release, or (c) have a wakeup/release in a single shot?
(c) exists - ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

The question is whether or not that's included with the A series.

It also begs the question - asked earlier but not responded to - as to whether Phase One dealers who are not ALPA dealers are also able to sell ALPA accessories.

Kind regards,

Gerald.