The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One A Series

jagsiva

(c) exists - ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

The question is whether or not that's included with the A series.

It also begs the question - asked earlier but not responded to - as to whether Phase One dealers who are not ALPA dealers are also able to sell ALPA accessories.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Gerald, from what I understand, only this product can be sold by Phase One dealers, other items/accessories/lenses would be through a "full" Alpa dealer. Best to let one of the non-Alpa, Phase dealers confirm.

cunim

I think the attraction to the Phase A series is that Phase and Alpa have made it easier by putting together all the parts, bits, and pieces together for you. That's not a bad thing.

And maybe this is the sign of things to come with a drop-down menu for an LCC library of sorts, based on some sort of magic algorithms that are pretty darn close to most lighting situations and movements----available in C1 Pro. And while still allowing you to do your normal LCC if desired. That would be cool.

;) ken
Ken, I think your finger is on the good and the bad. Making system configuration simple is good, and both P1 and Alpa make superb hardware so the matchup is natural.

The bad is that cobbling together a hardware system is only a small part of a solution. The real bear - and the expensive bit - is the software. There is a gulf between the announced features of the A camera, and what I would regard as a tool that solves existing problems without creating new ones. YMMV of course.

OK, that's good and bad. Actually, there is an ugly as well. The ugly is what has happened to me every time I tried to take P1's code (including Capture Pilot) beyond the most basic workflow. Please, Denmark, stop with the toys and give me a better DF camera and a slicker implementation of C1 (e.g. with the LCC library interface).

Pemihan

From dpreview: Phase One to introduce A-Series mirrorless medium format camera system: Digital Photography Review

Update: It appears that Digital Transitions made information about the new Phase One A-series public before an official announcement, and Phase One has responded with the following letter to clear up some confusion - our original news story appears below:

Letter from Phase One

While product teams have been hard at work preparing the new A-series camera systems for market, Phase One and ALPA are happy to see such interest based on the early news shared by some of our U.S. partners. We regret any confusion, including the fact that the photo was of an internal prototype and not the finished product, but official images and more details will soon be on the way.

These new products are the first step in a long-term strategic & cooperative alliance between Phase One and ALPA that was announced at Photokina. Developing premium products for the world’s most demanding fine art photographers is our focus, and the A-series by Phase One and ALPA is taking the first steps in a creative new direction to integrate some of the highest performing and proven products -- across lenses, bodies, digital backs and software -- to make them easier and even more fun to use.

Below are the key highlights:

1 -- As noted, the A-series will be available in three versions: A250, A260 and A280 with 50MP, 60MP and 80MP respectively.

2 -- Each system will be individually configured with pre-loaded lens calibrations for Rodenstock ALPA 23mm, 35mm and 70mm lenses, making it easy to shoot great looking images out of the box.

3 -- Factory shimmed system marked with A-series badges on both body and back.

4 -- All systems will come with the required accessories -- including some new elements made specifically for this system, e.g. flexible lens shades, iPhone holder and new release cable.

5 -- A 5-year warranty on the system.

6 -- A special note on wifi: Phase One IQ250 camera systems have recently started supporting liveview over wi-fi using Capture Pilot 1.7 (which is already available for download to all IQ250 users). Liveview over wi-fi will also be a cool new feature for the CMOS based A250 using an upcoming 1.8 release.

Thanks for the patience. In December we will share even more details on the new systems including the new factory lens calibration feature, accessories, detailed tech specs, product images, pricing and even better, they will begin shipping!

vjbelle

:loco: So far I can't think of a single compelling reason to consider this offering. Its just a mix of components that can be purchased separately (for the same price) with 'ZERO' value added. To top it off this whole combination is an extremely clumsy picture taking experience....... oh I forgot the iPhone thingy that makes it all worth while. I'm envisioning Mr. clumsy banging that appendage against a sidewalk bench and crying for the rest of the trip. This whole hyped attempt just makes no sense to me.

Victor

rga

Well here's my WAG:
1. This is just a way for P1 and Alpa to show something tangible for their collaboration agreement announced at Photokina.
2. I'm hoping that there will be a new version of the FPS that is more hand holdable. That way copal shutter lenses will not be needed and a variety of 3rd party lenses already fitting on the FPS can be used.
3. They will need to figure out a way to not got the Leica M route with live view. With the current I understand the FPS to work, the shutter would need to remain open for live view. Once the shutter release is pressed, the FPS shutter would have to close and then open again. Not real great, but doable. Certainly introduced shake (shown to happen on the M while even on a tripod). However handheld it would be fine as it doesn't produce as much shake as your heartbeat.
4. There will be an EVF that fits onto the FPS. Hopefully it will work something like the Fuji X series EVFs: focus mask, different magnifications, ability to move around and check different areas of the preview, etc.

So essentially a mirror less system using a P1 back.

Like I said, my WAG (or perhaps wish list...)
Bob

jlm

Workshop Member
in the end comparison, i would prefer a 500 blad with the real waist level viewfinder and fitted with a CFV50 back...maybe the SWC.

similar size, great ergonomics and style, no cables, ya gotta wind it though; still, two movements per shot...

tjv

in the end comparison, i would prefer a 500 blad with the real waist level viewfinder and fitted with a CFV50 back...maybe the SWC.

similar size, great ergonomics and style, no cables, ya gotta wind it though; still, two movements per shot...
Or this... A 500 series 'Blad with rotating back (as part of body), a WLF and new line of AF lenses down to 32mm. Ah, it's good to dream.

Steve Hendrix

(c) exists - ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Sync Release

The question is whether or not that's included with the A series.

It also begs the question - asked earlier but not responded to - as to whether Phase One dealers who are not ALPA dealers are also able to sell ALPA accessories.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

The indication I have is that the Alpa Sync Solution will be included in the contents of the A series Package. However, given that the official announcement from Phase One has not yet occurred, I will await that for final confirmation.

The A Series Packages do not change any dealer status with regard to selling Alpa products directly via Alpa. Other than the items included within the A series package itself, additional accessories or any other Alpa products would be purchased through an existing Alpa dealer. The A series announcement will not change anything with regard to who is an Alpa dealer and who is not.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

narikin

EVF needed, not iPhone via WiFi.

Hopefully on updated Phase back, with an EVF-out port. Some good 3rd party EVF's around at reasonable prices.

Pemihan

Now that P1 is venturing into tech camera land I just hope they will improve the tiling suppression in Capture One or even better in the DB firmware...

Paul2660

Now that P1 is venturing into tech camera land I just hope they will improve the tiling suppression in Capture One or even better in the DB firmware...
I fully agree and it's where I thin they could have better invested their time instead of an "A" series camera. As they offer no movements on the A it's easy to see how they can make auto LCC work on the A camera. Tiling is still a constant problem for me and I never know when it will show up enough to effect a shot but a solid ble sky is one to watch for.

Paul

jagsiva

I fully agree and it's where I thin they could have better invested their time instead of an "A" series camera. As they offer no movements on the A it's easy to see how they can make auto LCC work on the A camera. Tiling is still a constant problem for me and I never know when it will show up enough to effect a shot but a solid ble sky is one to watch for.

Paul
Paul, not sure if it is in my head, but going back and processing files in C18, there seems to be some improvement.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If the Phase announcement is not groundbreaking enough, there is always this new offering from our friends at Nikon...A gold DF!!

Everyone appears to be scrapping the bottom of the barrel to get new stuff out:)

Darn, I'd possibly actually have bought that if I didn't already have a Df! (I love that camera too btw)

Regarding the A series, I'm just happy if it means we now have added a boat load of Alpa dealers. Competition is great for the market.

Regarding the camera - it's a TC with some nice Rodie glass and wifi VF that really is focused on the IQ250 period. I assume also the Alpa cable release too btw. I'm sure that it'll work with an IQ2 CCD back too but let's face it, this is optimized as a solution around the IQ250.

Paul2660

What happened to the A series? Currently I can't find any mention of it on the main Phase One website, at least it's not listed as current product and no search came up with it. Did it get postponed?

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree - the silence is deafening. The press releases are out there but I don't see anything else at the moment.

I'd ask my own Phase One dealer but they're now an Alpa dealer anyway. Maybe they had collective second thoughts or Phase One decided that they need to have the same relationship with the other tech manufacturers too.

Pemihan

Again - here's to hoping that this will mean some significant improvement in tiling handling in the coming update of C1 :poke:

And if P1 in a IQ firmware update, could make it possible to manual enter which lens are being used as well as shift/rise/fall/tilt it would be great!

Paul2660

Yes, they now have the A series on the main page on Phase One's site.

Interesting delay. But glad to see if offical.

Paul