The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are there still pros shooting MF FILM?

GregMO

YES! me.

I went back to film for personal work, and also for client work where there is time and when I actually care:)
That's a great point that I don't think most are willing to publicly admit. Digital is usually the fastest way to getting the job done & getting the check from the client. But when you care you are willing to put in the effort to get it the way you want.

robertwright

Yes.
I choose my film and digital cameras the same way. :)

G
I see the choice in digital to be reduced- in terms of what is affordable, the there is only 2x3 aspect in full frame and if you want 4x3 aspect then its some mirrorless thing i have no interest in.

In medium format same thing, 2x3, 4x3, and not affordable....

So, 1x1, 4x5/6x7, 6x17 etc...all of that lovely stuff is consigned to the waste bin of history. Except if you like film, so I'm happy.

please no one say crop or I'll have your head:p

gmfotografie

i love to use film because it has this slow down effect which i like. i had my landscape exhibition on monday. funny, but all of the visitors like mf 6x6 400tx pictures best.

100% says: analog looks better....
(one lady also saw angles in my pictures ����... okay, forget it ��)

maybe this is true or not..... i don't know which looks better , which has more spirit...

finally i like the prozess of photographing more than the final result. maybe thats why i like analog.

but in most commercial buisiness you are not competitive with analog. maybe in architecture and wedding....

there is a brand new video with michael kenna on youtube. he speaks also a little bit of his early commercial works with film

( sorry for my bad english)

richardman

No degeneration in to film vs. digital please :) If I have $60,000 to throw around, I would buy an S 007 with 3 lens immediately. Barring that, as long as I can haul 20lbs of 4x5 gear AND a SWC/M :) Life is good.

// richard "the Leica M9? That's for my snapshots" man

Stuart Richardson

Well, I just got back from Paris Photo, and I assure you that at least for the gallery and art book market, film is very much alive. What is different, however, is that digital is also wholly accepted. Digital prints are being sold for thousands, and projects shot on digital are not viewed skeptically.
It's a great time now, as you can photograph with whatever medium you want, and generally no one will bother you about it. The digital vs film debate is now very much an aesthetic one, not a technical one.

Godfrey

I see the choice in digital to be reduced- in terms of what is affordable, the there is only 2x3 aspect in full frame and if you want 4x3 aspect then its some mirrorless thing i have no interest in.

In medium format same thing, 2x3, 4x3, and not affordable....

So, 1x1, 4x5/6x7, 6x17 etc...all of that lovely stuff is consigned to the waste bin of history. Except if you like film, so I'm happy.

please no one say crop or I'll have your head:p
Well, I most often have my E-M1 set to capture in 1:1 format... It's not cropping if it's the format I see through the viewfinder and I'm framing for it. Same for 16:9. ;-)

No, you're not going to get the larger format sensors without spending a bunch of money. And you're not going to get 6x6 or 6x7, etc, even then. But that wasn't what I meant.

The format choices in digital cameras are just as broad but the format sizes are all smaller. Where the differences lie beyond that are in the strength of AA filters, the pixel density, sensitivity, and noise characteristics of the sensors, and the lenses available to use.

My digital cameras at present are iPhone 4S, Olympus E-1, E-M1, E-PL1; Leica M9, X2, X; Ricoh GXR+M, A12-28, A12-50; and Sony A7. My lens kits are FT SLR, mFT, Leica M-mount, Leica R-Mount, Skink pinholes, Holga toy, and Nikon SLR. That's a pretty broad range of different formats, sensors, and lenses to work with. Each combination produces different results. I even have true oddities like the Hasselnuts back for the 500CM, which nets Hasselblad imaging into the iPhone 4S camera. I don't see too much reduction there.

And when I want to go even further, I take some film out of the fridge and shoot Polaroid, 35mm, Minox, and 6x6. I don't really need much more, it's all good. :)

G

jmosier01

I use film quite a bit. I prefer it to digital for outdoor portraits, but a lot of the time digital is simply faster. One isn't better then the other, more of a taste thing =)