The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-16 : is it still worth spending the money?

Thomas73

Hi all,

I am wondering if a CFV-16 is still worth spending the money nowadays... Is it still serviced by Hasselblad ? What about the delivered quality compared to today standards?

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

mmbma

Not really. People buy it for collection value. Hassey doesn't service it anymore. If you are looking to put your V system to work and want that fat pixel look, for less money you could buy an Aptus ii 22mp back. newer, cheaper, got that leaf look, and it's full 645 frame. (almost)

BANKER1

1. People buy it for collection value.

This "people" would buy one to use, but the price is still too high. It is worth a lot of money in comparison to other 16 Mega Pixel backs, probably due to its usefulness.

2. Hassey doesn't service it anymore.

That is a broad statement. They also said they'd not work on an H3D22, but they gladly worked on mine.

3. "buy an Aptus II 22mp back."

Why do Hasselblad threads always morph into sales pitches for other manufacturer's backs?

Greg

weinlamm

Hi,

I can't say very much about the CFV-16 - but I still have a P20, which nearly should be the same from sensor-side.

I use it very often for landscape-Panorama with my Cambo. Three pictures +-20 and 0 - and then stich together via software.
I think if you print this (I do very often in A2; I have some Halbe-picture frames for a fast change), you would nearly see no different to pictures are taken with a Credo 40 or P45+ or such in this kind.

But what to know is, that you don't have the same dynamic range. With the newer Capture One 8 (I don't know, if this would work with the Hasselblad backs...:confused:) you can retrieval more than in the past - but it's not the same as with newer backs.
But... I have some 0.6 +0.9 Grad filters - so don't worry. ;)

rmueller

We have a CFV-16 (my wife is using it primarily) and we won't give it away,
the image quality is really good (we print 80 x 80 cm from time to time) and
the handling on a 500 series HB is perfect.
I'm not sure its serviced by HB, our back is working since 2009 with no issues, the only "issue" is that it forgets date and time settings after some time.
The CFV-16 is rarely found on e..ay or elsewhere, people who own it enjoy it
and keep silent whatever ranting others do over HB.

PM me if you'd like some raw images.

Regards,
Ralf

Last edited:

ondebanks

Hi,

I can't say very much about the CFV-16 - but I still have a P20, which nearly should be the same from sensor-side.
Again speaking from the point of view that it is the same sensor as in the CFV-16, I wouldn't part with my Kodak DCS645M. Used it last weekend, in fact.

But the crop factor on my 645AFD is less than on a 6x6 camera, so a sensor of that size suits me perhaps better than it would suit a Hasselblad V user. As I've often said, the best camera for digital square-format shooting is a 645, not a 6x6, which seems counterintuitive. Something to consider.

Ray

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I just recently got hold of an cfv-16 (from getdpi.com). While I have not had the time to take it for an outing, for few test shots that I processed so far, I really like the IQs. The images are very easy to process and have this very smooth look that I have not seen from other digital captures. Other than 1.5 crop factor, it works perfectly with my 503CW, 555ELD and 903SWC bodies. I am going to keep using it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have a CFV-16 and other than it forgetting it's date/time (as per Ralf), it works wonderfully and on a Hassy 503 you also have the advantage of a square fat pixel back that isn't encumbered by sync cables etc. The batteries are easy to find and this thing is like the energizer bunny in that it just keeps on going.

The colour from the back is what I like and the resolution is somewhat moot to be honest. If I want resolution then I can just use pretty much any DSLR or one of my other MFDBs. However, when matted to a Hasselblad V mount body it's a seamless combination that works well.

The only challenge I have is with the crop viewfinder. I actually found that the drop in mylar mask is better than the dedicated Hasselblad etched VF glass - the original part has a split center focus assist that blacks up too easily.

ChrisLivsey

Is this date forgetting like the P20 I have? (sorry to morph off HB but it is on a 500cm)
If left without a battery for a "long" time the date does go. I think this is exaggerated as an issue though. It has been advised to remove the battery if sending by post/carrier but mine sits on the shelf when not in use :D
I keep a battery in that slowly goes down. If I remove the battery the date is held for at least 6 hours, gave up testing then!!
As to the worth spending, that they still bring a healthy price is its own answer, enough people believe that it is. Certainly my P20 (sorry) takes shots as well as it ever did and current C1 pulls more from it than previous versions, and at no upgrade cost for the software. I assume Phocus does the same?
The comparison becomes more difficult as CMOS enters the MFDB stage but the cost differential currently is large.
Personally, on the brink of adding a H3D39 with a CF converter I have for little money out comes the CMOS CFV back, for much money (but less than the H version!!
Sorry to veer OT but choice can be a bu**er.
On service my H1 went back to Sweden and came back like new with the latest software that will run that new battery I can't afford and don't need with film;)

carstenw

Chris, careful about versions. I believe that Hasselblad has stopped servicing some of the H3D cameras, if not all.

ChrisLivsey

Chris, careful about versions. I believe that Hasselblad has stopped servicing some of the H3D cameras, if not all.
Thanks for the hat tip. I was aware, the support is restricted rather than zero. It seems the body is fine, as you may expect, but some parts for the backs are not. I have seen new IR & cover glass fitted to H3DII standard on H3D back for eg. It's a balance between a lower cost back and taking a chance on a service requirement or more and less risk of a brick. I'm currently in the strange situation of shooting digital on a V system (P20) and film on a H (H1).

Thomas73

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts about the CFV-16.

I got confirmation from the representatives of Hasselblad tech support in France that service on this back is now restricted, depending on the component(s) that must be fixed.

archivue

3. "buy an Aptus II 22mp back."

Why do Hasselblad threads always morph into sales pitches for other manufacturer's backs?

compare files from Aptus 22 and Cfv-16, and you will understand !

My best friend used to have the Cfv-16, i have an altus 22 and a DM33… there's no comparison in my humble opinion !

arionelli

I just recently got hold of an cfv-16 (from getdpi.com). While I have not had the time to take it for an outing, for few test shots that I processed so far, I really like the IQs. The images are very easy to process and have this very smooth look that I have not seen from other digital captures. Other than 1.5 crop factor, it works perfectly with my 503CW, 555ELD and 903SWC bodies. I am going to keep using it.
I thought it was worth the money, though I ended up selling it (to "Ocean", hope you are happy with it) and got my money back because I ended up deciding in favour of the Contax 645 with a back of similar ilk, the P25+. I am very happy so far, with my still limited familiarity.

SHV

I'm a hobbyist who bought a CFV-16 shortly after it was introduced. I used it on various "V" bodies but it has been sitting unused for three years. I recently starting unpacking my old "V" gear and looked at some of my old CFV files; I still like the look and I don't think that I will sell it. (IIRC, the date/time problem was/is fixable, my back went in for a broken battery pin and came back with the date/time fixed. I just checked, the CFV has been sitting for a month while I have been traveling and the date/time are accurate)

"snap shot" 503CW+250mm and out hotel window SWC

Steve

Iktinos

Not Available
I think these days where price differences are greatly reduced, one would be much better off if he considers a back that has a larger version of the same sensor, meaning the 22mp 37x49mm Kodak sensor.

DougDolde

Ten years ago, people's heads would be exploding over that deal. That said, these days you can buy a Leica S2 on eBay for under 3000 dollars. Add the V adapater, and you have a much better camera for digital photos. That said, hard to beat the 203FE as a film camera, as long as you like the square!

Under $3K is questionable or at least rare. But I'd get the Contax 645 adapter for a Leica S not a V adapter