The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H5D-50c Live view firmware is available !!

modator

After some weeks from Photokina as promised the new firmware are arrived !!

Firmware version 3.5.8R for H5D-50c and CFV-50c

• Live View on rear camera display
• Longer exposure times. Now up to 34 minutes (no black exposure required)
• Faster capture rate. Now up to 50 frames per minute (H5D-50c only)
• ISO and White Balance setting visible in Viewfinder (H5D-50c only)
• Spirit Level (H5D-50c only) and selectable display modes in tethered mode
• Korean language added
• Bug fixes

Firmware version 3.3.2/1.1.4 for H5D-50c camera body

• Support for ISO/WB setting in viewfinder
• Film magazine compatibility
• Minor bug fixes

Some one have done jet the upgrade ?
I will do as soon as possible, maybe this weekend !!

modator

I can't wait....

I made the update immediately !!

the upgrade run silk... the camera now support all the above functions... for now I've tested the live view... finally on a tripod I can confirm that the frame rate and color is better than the one I've see in Photokina ... the frame rate is now very high I think more than 20 fps (maybe 30) so focusing in live view at 100% is very easy.

Well Done Hasselblad !

Last edited:

jagsiva

Great stuff. Hopefully we get some momentum and competition going in the MF world again. Would be great to see someone like Sony get into this space to really shake things up.

f8orbust

Didn't realize, but HB even has the CMOS sensor available in a 200MP multi-shot back. Allied with their great camera and lens line up, you can only hope for good things going forward for this venerable brand.

Last edited:

tjv

I'm sure someone will chime in soon and change the subject to Phase / Leaf, Capture One 8 and USB3. In the meantime, I'm enjoying reading positive news and improvements to what were already excellent products.

vjbelle

Ok...... I'll just change the subject to the chip itself. For anyone who hasn't experienced the fascinating live view and files from this chip I encourage you to get 'ANY' of the available backs. I own the Leaf (there, I did it) but all of them will give you an experience that is a monster/fascinating/delightful step forward. If I didn't own the Leaf and thought there was one of the HB's available in Japan I would hop on a plane and get it. It's that good.....

Victor

tjv

One thing I've never asked about any iteration that uses this sensor is how it handles tilts, as opposed to, or in addition to, shifts. I've been trying to get my head around how it would perform with positive tilts to maximise depth of field in landscapes when I also want to employ rise or fall on the back.

tjv

PS: I'm still very much torn between the 50c and 50 backs. The live view would make my life a ton easier and the workflow quicker. 12mm of shift on the 50c would be more than adequate for the vast majority of my work, but I worry that I would be pushing up against its limits too often and therefore sacrificing colour depth, etc. The CCD version seems very, very attractive in this regard, all be it without live view and high ISO capability.

modator

Hi TJV,

Well, 50c vs 50 also to me was a very hard dispute, both camera have good points and feature, at the end I choose to go trough 50c because i think is a leap forward in image quality at high iso and more feature rich for landscape etc..
the sensor is little smaller just few mm than the CCD version, but now it's possible to use also film backs so if I need a larger view I can put a film back with a color diapositive or negative or bw ....

today I have tried it and the camera recognize the back and is operative too.
with film back I'm sure I can make my photo with a real film look !!!! :ROTFL:

Buying the 50, to me is very difficult to realize now, especially because the price of the ccd is starting to drop, and maybe in the near future is possible to find more of them used at very low prices.... the cmos to me is really a revolution in this field and photos that before were impossible now are reality...

Regards, Domenico.

tjv

Yes, I think the introduction of CMOS is a massive step forward in most regards. I guess I'm in the minority of users who want to attach it to a tech camera though. At the moment I shoot film with my Techno and scan using an Imacon 949, so I'm not used to thinking about sensor limitations with movements, just image circle limitations.

modator

Well, the CMOS has also the micro lenses that someone says can cause color fringe if used with large shift or some wide angle lens...
If Your work is 90% on tech cam with extreme shift or WA, I think the a 50 / 60 CCD or the 39 II are good choices (the 39 very cheap in comparison to the rest...) ,but if the work is almost center without extreme shifts etc, the live view and performance at high iso are winning.
If You live in Europe there are some body used in Photokina sell as DEMO unit that are around 9000€ less the new price and very "attractive"...

vjbelle

One thing I've never asked about any iteration that uses this sensor is how it handles tilts, as opposed to, or in addition to, shifts. I've been trying to get my head around how it would perform with positive tilts to maximise depth of field in landscapes when I also want to employ rise or fall on the back.
I have used tilt/swing on three of my lenses without issues (60mm, 100mm, 150mm). This is the most exciting aspect of this chip. Try using one of the IQ series backs when tilting..... a real PITA! With this chip I can tilt in real time with perfect results in about 30 seconds. For that reason alone its worth owning one of these backs.

Victor

tjv

I have used tilt/swing on three of my lenses without issues (60mm, 100mm, 150mm). This is the most exciting aspect of this chip. Try using one of the IQ series backs when tilting..... a real PITA! With this chip I can tilt in real time with perfect results in about 30 seconds. For that reason alone its worth owning one of these backs.

Victor
Thanks. I'm looking forward to someone doing some tests to see the limits of tilts with shift movements and if using them in combination magnifies the colour cast or if it's much the same as without using tilt and just shifts.
As I'm used to using a GG for focusing, tilts have never been too problematic for me but good quality Live View would make it even easier. Most of all, I want to do away with the need for that massive Linhof sliding back. The new short stitch slider would be just the ticket for me and with it the Techno really does come into its own, I think.

modator

Well, I've the HTS 1,5 when i have some spare time (maybe next week) I can make some shots with shifted lens, 28mm and 50mm that are my favorite with the HTS....

ondebanks

• Live View on rear camera display
• Longer exposure times. Now up to 34 minutes (no black exposure required)
Two great breakthroughs. Well done Hasselblad!

Now all we need is a CF50c version of the back, enabling the use of iAdapters to other marques of camera body. :thumbup:

My feeling is that the previous CF22 and CF39 backs suffered in comparison to the Phase P25+ and P45+ equivalents by not permitting exposures beyond 32 seconds, but that dissuading factor won't arise anymore.

Ray