The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Deciding between Alpa TC, STC or Cambo 1250

Jamgolf

Drum roll ... It will be 32mm + Cambo 1200 (possibly RC400)
Thank you for letting me pick your brains and indulging in my rigmarole.

So I pondered over this a lot and lost sleep analyzing so many variables:
HPF rings and their advantages, center filters and their consequences, lens field of view, weight + size and their effect on usability, camera tactile feedback, lens image circles, possible camera movements, image quality and finally what I can afford.

I looked at tech camera images thread many times with critical eye. I tried to look past artistic vision and cut through to image quality alone i.e. Does an image look good because of composition, technique, post processing skills etc. or is it optically superior.

I also looked at hundreds of my own images to determine which focal length I most used, enjoyed most and missed not having in certain situations.

I also contacted members who own 32mm HR and did not post directly in this thread and asked how they felt. Its a resounding and unanimous thumbs up, and some of them own quite a few other lenses too.

Choice of Cambo is simply a compromise, for me. In an ideal world I would get Alpa STC. I really want it, but the cost difference is ~$6K and unfortunately despite my father's persistent advice to become a doctor, I became an engineer, so too late now - I just can't afford everything :) [kidding]

So I'm simply spending more money on glass than on a camera body. Something I have always done.

Thanks again everyone. You've been great.
Now on to ordering this equipment.

Sincerely
-Jawad

Last edited:

Don Libby

Spending more (much more) money on glass than the camera is just a way of life in Dante's neighborhood.

Speaking solely from a Cambo experience I'd say there was no compromise. In the end all of them are good, it's what you do with them what's will make them great.

Congratulations and now we'll be looking forward to the images being shared.

don

Jamgolf

Spending more (much more) money on glass than the camera is just a way of life in Dante's neighborhood.

Speaking solely from a Cambo experience I'd say there was no compromise. In the end all of them are good, it's what you do with them what's will make them great.

Congratulations and now we'll be looking forward to the images being shared.

don
Thanks Don.
Yes, you are right about Cambo not being a compromise. It actually has more functionality: simultaeous tilt + swing + rise/fall + shift.
I meant a compromise (to me) in terms of the way it felt to me for tactile feedback and feeling.

vjbelle

You will never regret your choice of Cambo..... if I had it to do all over again that would more than likely be my choice.

Happy shooting.....

Victor

vjbelle

Even if you are straight shooting, with no movements, take an hour to make some LCC frames for your LCC preset library at major apertures/distances. You'll regret it later if you don't: once that back is gone or traded up, you'll never be able to make an LCC again. (LCCs are unique to each specific individual back, not the model type)
Couldn't agree more..... its not necessary to make an LCC for each situation but rather a Library makes the most sense and is how I have approached this issue.

Victor

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
One thing that seems "loose" about the Cambos is the tilt/swing adjustment. It has a dead zone around zero that feels odd, but is deliberate and guarantees by feel that the setting is really zeroed. I had mixed feelings about the build quality until that was explained to me, as it was so different from every other adjustment.

--Matt

I should add that I *do* own a Cambo WRS AE and it is one of the (few) pieces of equipment about which I have no reservations.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I've mentioned it before, I've had the WRS since the fall of 2008, used it with a 28, 35, 40, 72, and a 120mm lens along with 4-different backs (P45, P65, IQ160 and now a IQ180). In hot desert to cold mountains, blowing sand storms, sleet, snow, rain - okay you get the point. Six-years later it is still just as good as the day it arrived. The only thing I've done to it in all the time I've had it was install wooden handles. In the meantime I can't (actually don't want to) think of the other cameras I've had thinking they were just as good. There're might be better bodies, they might look better/more sexy and they might offer a little more however I've been very happy and don't see any reason in the future not to be.

You can call me a fanboy but please do it to my face. :D

I'm equally certain there's others with other gear that feel just as I do; what works for you is the best there is.

Jamgolf

I should add that I *do* own a Cambo WRS AE and it is one of the (few) pieces of equipment about which I have no reservations.
Actually I held the WRS AE when I visited CI. It felt really good. I think it felt much better than the 1250.
I am thinking whether its worth while to spend extra there and get WRS AE instead of WRS 1200. Not sure though.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

will you get the center filter for the 32mm? i think it is over 1200 bucks!
Yes - I am planning to get the CF. It costs $940 (my all time favorite lens, Leica Summicron-R 50mm cost me ~$500) - wow ...

On that note, Paul Caldwell said: "Where as on the 32mm on center, you should easily be able to shoot with no CF."

Does 32mm not really need a CF in unshifted/centered position.
Not losing 2.5 stop when centered would actually be great.

Last edited:

Paul2660

I would try it without the CF. in good light I shoot the 28 with no CF but with low light shots it can help.

The 32 I shot had no CF and I shifted it to 15mm. At 15mm of shift I felt the CF would have helped as light fall off was fairly harsh. I was at F8 and F11.

Looking back, I shoukd have bought that lens. :cry:

Paul

PeterL

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Cambo, the only potential problem I see, is the 32HR is heavy and quite delicate, so be very careful when packing your bag. Good luck with it!

Cheers, -Peter

f8orbust

I was a bit off - a quick search of GetDPI and here's a sale from last year: TC + S/K 35mm + adapter plate ... all for $4200 (TC @ 1200, SK 35 @ 2400 and plate @ 600). :thumbup:
35XL with CF just sold on eBay for $1900 - so a T/C + 35 + adapter plate should probably come in ~$3700 used. New that would all cost close to $10k; if anyone is on a budget and looking to get into the Alpa system, it's clearly possible - and this setup would be a nice place to start - but you'll need a bit of patience and wait until the right deal(s) come along.

Jamgolf

35XL with CF just sold on eBay for $1900 - so a T/C + 35 + adapter plate should probably come in ~$3700 used. New that would all cost close to $10k; if anyone is on a budget and looking to get into the Alpa system, it's clearly possible - and this setup would be a nice place to start - but you'll need a bit of patience and wait until the right deal(s) come along.
~$3700 for a pre-owned TC with adapter plate would be pretty sweet. I think patience would be the 'key word' as these don't pop up everyday and timing too.

Currently there is a TC + 35mm/f4 (Rodenstock) on ebay listed for over $8K. At that price, buying new is probably worth it.

darr

... I think patience would be the 'key word' as these don't pop up everyday and timing too.

Currently there is a TC + 35mm/f4 (Rodenstock) on ebay listed for over $8K. At that price, buying new is probably worth it.
Indeed patience is required. ;)
I have been waiting for a black SW/SWA used for a decent price for a long time.

f8orbust

That listing is a perfect example of the difference between what one person wants for something and what another is prepared to pay.

stephengilbert

I love these threads: people who don't like a brand make fun of people who pay high prices for it. It's like the MF deniers who say that as soon as Phase starts selling backs for $3000 they'll be in the market for one.

I don't know what a used Rodenstock 35 is worth, but they sell for about $5600 new. Add the body, VF, and back adapter, and $3700 might be a tad low. :)

(The SK 35 is a different story, as it's been so heavily criticized by people who need the best possible lens, and it's probably worth only about $2000.)

Jamgolf

I love these threads: people who don't like a brand make fun of people who pay high prices for it.
Not sure which thread you are referring to. Perhaps you made a mistake and posted in the wrong thread, or may be you simply misunderstood ...

This thread has nothing to do with making fun of anybody. It has been about assisting a guy who asked for help and was offered most helpful, candid and sincere advice and guidance, which is leading to actual an purchase.

No sinister motives here :)

Cheers!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not sure which thread you are referring to. Perhaps you made a mistake and posted in the wrong thread, or may be you simply misunderstood ...

This thread has nothing to do with making fun of anybody. It has been about assisting a guy who asked for help and was offered most helpful, candid and sincere advice and guidance, which is leading to actual an purchase.

No sinister motives here :)

Cheers!
Jawad

I know Steve and that comment definitely wasn't pointed at you.