The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Deciding between Alpa TC, STC or Cambo 1250

Jamgolf

I am considering a technical camera and recently got a chance to look at Arca RM3di, Cambo RS 1250, Cambo RC 400, and Alpa STC while visiting Capture Integration offices in Atlanta (Thank you Steve Hendrix). Before getting a chance to actually hold each of these in my hands I was quite sure I would get the RM3di. After handling each I am least inclined to get the RM3di and most inclined to get the Alpa.

Cambo is in between. It offers more functionality (rise+fall+tilt+shift+swing) for a lot less money and seems like the logical/sensible/prudent choice. Although for lenses with tilt mount an HPF ring can't be used - which is a concern. It also does not feel as compact and comfortable as Alpa, but not too bad either.

Alpa STC felt really good in my hands. I did not get an opportunity to hold an Alpa TC. I really like Alpa's compact form factor. Yes, I am really conflicted about the cost - since its the highest price of the three brands and I am admittedly seeking quality+value.

Here is what I am seeking…
* I like a small/compact form factor
* I like to get things right in one shot and do not look for stitching unless a compelling vista presents itself
* Tilt ability is my main reason to consider a technical camera (shift+rise are certainly nice to have)
* Ability to have precise focus

I am thinking Alpa TC or STC with tilt adapter & HPF rings on lenses.

Would like to hear thoughts and opinions on the choice of STC, TC, Cambo or Arca.

Thanks for your time and help.

Jawad

Frederic

I'd rather compare the Alpa STC to the A/S Factum, not the Rm3di.
If you don't need movements then the TC is probably the logical choice ?

Not familiar with Cambo's offering, sorry...

Last edited:

tjv

* I like to get things right in one shot and do not look for stitching unless a compelling vista presents itself
I think this comment this suggests that the STC might be best, as it gives you the option of stitching when you need it. I don't know anything about the Cambo, sorry.

Jamgolf

I'd rather compare the Alpa STC to the A/S Factum, not the Rm3di.
If you don't need movements then the TC is probably the logical choice ?

Yes, you are right Factum is closer to STC in size/weight. So I should definitely give it some consideration. Factum does not have a grip, so holding/handling it might not be as pleasant as Cambo or Alpa.

Thanks for your input.

gerald.d

Here's my $0.02...

On the ALPA side of things...

If you're looking to use tilt, then you're going to be shooting from a tripod, and so to me the TC doesn't make an awful lot of sense. The weight saving over the STC is around 350 grams, but that will almost disappear (relatively speaking) once you add the back/lens/tilt-adapter/tripod head/tripod.

It then comes down to whether you think the additional cost of the STC is worth the additional functionality of movements that it gives you.

Only you can answer that question, but I very rarely shoot with my TC these days simply because 99% of my shots are from a tripod, and I nearly always want movements so I use my Max.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Jamgolf

I think this comment this suggests that the STC might be best, as it gives you the option of stitching when you need it. I don't know anything about the Cambo, sorry.
You are right, when (not if) the opportunity presents itself not having the ability to shift would be missed. STC does offer that ability over TC.

Thank you !

Frederic

Yes, you are right Factum is closer to STC in size/weight. So I should definitely give it some consideration. Factum does not have a grip, so holding/handling it might not be as pleasant as Cambo or Alpa.

Thanks for your input.
Like the STC the Factum has an optional handgrip. Also tilt is built-in.

Jamgolf

Here's my $0.02...

If you're looking to use tilt, then you're going to be shooting from a tripod, and so to me the TC doesn't make an awful lot of sense. The weight saving over the STC is around 350 grams, but that will almost disappear (relatively speaking) once you add the back/lens/tilt-adapter/tripod head/tripod.

Only you can answer that question, but I very rarely shoot with my TC these days simply because 99% of my shots are from a tripod, and I nearly always want movements so I use my Max.
Gerald: Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

You are right in pointing out that using tilt will mean shooting from a tripod. In that setting TC's slight weight advantage over STC is rather meaningless. My thinking was that at times I might use a TC handheld (without tilt off-course) and in that case it might possibly be better than STC. Not sure if that is the case, if its not much better than STC while handholding then clearly STC is the right/better choice of the two.

How do you find TC while handholding?
You mentioned you don't use it much these days, is there a reason or simply that you prefer using you MAX?

Thanks again.

narikin

Alpa is a system camera (as many of the others are) - and at some point you may decide that you add a Max to your system for architectural or 4 way stitching. Likewise maybe a TC for super small 'walkabout' camera. Or maybe an FPS when EVF out comes to digital backs, and therefore MF mirrorless has arrived.

For economy/value/simplicity, yes I'd go with the Cambo. If you see a whole system opening up for wide and varied types of photography, then possibly Alpa is well worth the extra investment. (Sorry I don't know much about Arca, but maybe likewise there.)

I too would favor the STC over TC for a 1 body setup, but remember any body with built in tilt saves you many $$ over Alpa's pricey tilt adapters.

gerald.d

Gerald: Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

You are right in pointing out that using tilt will mean shooting from a tripod. In that setting TC's slight weight advantage over STC is rather meaningless. My thinking was that at times I might use a TC handheld (without tilt off-course) and in that case it might possibly be better than STC. Not sure if that is the case, if its not much better than STC while handholding then clearly STC is the right/better choice of the two.

How do you find TC while handholding?
You mentioned you don't use it much these days, is there a reason or simply that you prefer using you MAX?

Thanks again.
Hand-holding the TC is OK, it's just that I rarely shot handheld. I don't have an STC so can't make an objective comparison, but if anything, I could actually imagine the STC would be better handheld simply because of the fact it's larger - there are times when everything just feels a little too cramped on the TC (particularly the space between the grip and the lens).

As said, I almost exclusively shoot off tripods. If I need/want movements, then the Max, or if I need the flexibility/capability of the FPS, then I use that.

The bottom line in your decision is that you can use the STC handheld, but you can't shift with the TC. Even if just 10% of your shots were going to use shift, then that would surely make the decision for you?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

vjbelle

I own the STC and consider it an outstanding machining achievement for Alpa. Its been mentioned that one of the benefits is stitching but, for me, lateral movements are just as easily achieved with conventional degree'd movement around the nodal point. However what I would never be without is rise or fall/tilt swing which this body and lens adapters do really well - as do others. You also must bear in mind that lenses are the most expensive in the Alpa mount. My experience has been that Alpa does not test lenses from its provided vendors but relies on them for quality control - a practice that I am very disappointed with considering the cost of their lenses. I can't speak for any of the other manufacturer's with regards to secondary quality control of lenses but its lenses first, then the body. A good dealer will be you life saver in this respect - good to see you are working with CI.

Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are looking for an Alpa with the best combination of size vs versatility then I'd definitely consider the STC over the TC because it isn't that much larger and you have the option to use rise/fall or shifts when needed.

I currently shoot with an STC and use the 17mm & 34mm tilt adapters with 40HR, 90HR & 150 APO-Digitar lenses. For 99% of my shooting situations this combination gives me all of the movements I need and is a relatively small outfit to carry. I also have a TC that I pretty much use exclusively with my 23HR since I don't use any movements with that lens and it's convenient to leave it mounted on it permanently.

I've occasionally used the TC handheld but only very rarely. If it's worth shooting with a MFDB and Rodie/Schneider lens then to be honest it's also worth the effort of setting up a tripod shot. If you want walkabout capabilities then I'd just use a different camera - that's not to say that you can't use it of course and a TC with a 23/32/40 is one heck of a point & shoot.

I've also owned and used the MAX too. I occasionally miss the extra option of using both rise/fall and shifting for an image stitch but I don't miss the bulky form factor that was the reason for changing to the STC. However, I do see myself getting another MAX at some point because when you need both sets of movements you really miss not having them.

My advice for choosing a technical camera system is to make sure that you consider where you'll be with a full system and base the economics on that. You'll find that once you have a couple of lenses with tilt capabilities then the costs between say the Cambo and the more expensive Arca/Alpa systems start to even out somewhat.

I love my Alpa system but I wouldn't hesitate to go with either the Cambo or Arca (or Sinar too) as ultimately you are buying a lens platform IMHO. I wouldn't get too worked up about the claims of superior accuracy, shimming, etc etc because all of the systems can be calibrated. I do like using the Alpa HPF rings though for accurate focus setting but Arca have their own alternative for that too.

vjbelle

Just a quick comment on hand holding...... I suggest that you try to walk around with any of the tech camera's and try to shoot hand held. If you think that its a walk in the park then we are from different universes! Its a clumsy process that is best utilized with only the widest lenses (35mm or less) and even then.... clumsy!! I tried it once I got my Leaf Credo 50 thinking that this back would streamline the experience..... forget it!! Try it for yourself......

Victor

Jamgolf

narikin, Gerald, Victor and Graham:

Thank you guys. I believe you have convinced me that between an STC and TC, STC is certainly the better choice. I think I am going to drop TC from consideration.

So now its down to STC, Factum or Cambo :)

Edit:

Infact since Cambo does not allow HPF rings with tilt mount lenses, I would have to rule it out as well - even though the price is most attractive.

So, its STC or Factum ...

Last edited:

Jamgolf

However what I would never be without is rise or fall/tilt swing which this body and lens adapters do really well - as do others.

My experience has been that Alpa does not test lenses from its provided vendors but relies on them for quality control - a practice that I am very disappointed with considering the cost of their lenses.
Victor

Do you permanently orient the STC body vertically and have the grip installed on the side where the bottom would normally be?

Your experience with the lens quality sounds concerning, especially given the price. Are there any particuar lenses that you've had problems with?

Thanks

Don Libby

I've been using a Cambo WRS for 6-years and only used it handheld once just to prove it could be done. To my way of thinking, a technical camera is meant to be used on a tripod; when I want to handhold I use a DF. Just my crazy way of thinking. Yes it can be handheld, but why?

don

Don Libby

You can add a HPF ring on a tilt/shift lens and use it on a Cambo. We have a source right here at Getdpi that offers the service...