The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses for Alpa

Tinus

Hello, i'm Tinus and are living in the origin land of alpas..
as a alpa newbe its 'll a bit confusing with the different types of lenses and which ones to choose for a start. I had so far the Mamiya 645 DF with the 40+ Back, mainly using the 75-150 zoom - and will probably now go for the Alpa STC and using the same Back of course. I will do mainly landscape with this camera, using the shifting (left/right). i use very rare great wide angle lens, so i considered to start maybe with a 43/XL 5.6/48 Helvetar or a 47/XL and a 90 Schneider would be fine. And of course I d'ont want to limit myself to the 40+, maybe in a few years I will go for the IQ 160.
So my question is this: Would you recommend me both lenses for the 40+ and IQ 160 ? is it fine to shift them ? Or would your recommend me the Rodies or other lenses ?
Thanks and :salute:
Tinus

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Tinus

If you live in the ALPA Land , why not travelling to ZÜRICH and visit the ALPA Team .
They are very friendly people and have all cameras and most lenses onsite , so can try and discuss with them what is best for your needs .

MILESF

There's a huge amount of wisdom in threads on this site which I found very useful when making my own decision to enter Dante's Inferno a year or so ago.

There are many knowledgeable and generous people here to whom I am very grateful. So scrolling back a page or two will bring its own reward.

Moving to a technical camera is not without its challenges but is has also helped me to make what I think are better images than I ever did before. As much as my choice of lenses, bodies and backs I think it is about slowing down and thinking more about what we are trying to do. Perhaps that is where the real return is to be found on the not insignificant investment (and pain) that you are about to take.

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
A visit to ALPA , ARCA , CAMBO or LINHOF (any maker of tech cameras )
does not exclude a discussion about your interest and needs in a forum .
The impression you gain (by a personal visit) about a desired product makes a discussion much easier because you then know much more what you are talking about .

I have been to ALPA , ARCA and LINHOF in the past years and always found it exciting to have their products in my hands .

Tinus

Since june 2014 they have a dealer (profot) in Switzerland, and they d'ont like you (as a swiss) to welcome directly, you have to deal with the dealer, and it seems to me that he lacks a bit of experience with the alpa products..

Tinus

Thank you Miles, thats what I'm looking for: slowing down, taking a lot less pictures but very much the pictures that have a intensity and personal language i'm looking for.
Tinus

alpenblick

Tinus, don't be shy. If you call them and explain that you are not happy with this or that dealer or seek for information from the horses mouth in the very first place... I bet you can make an appointment any time. Hassi and Leaf users in Switzerland are in the same situation. Be prepared to be there for 1 hour plus when they do consulting ;)