The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any other recent Phase One camera buyers bothered by the recent promotion?

ddanois

Why the huge give away on lenses? Has MF gone the way of consumer point and shoot? I was an early adopter of the Phase One system and am very disappointed that these flooding promotions have all but destroyed our investment. Don't get me wrong, the P45+ is a great DB and is worth a major investment but the "give away" that's going on with these vendors is sad. I actually has someone tell me that they wouldn't consider buying my Mamiya 150 2.8 because these "give away deals" will have some new glass on the market very soon, very cheap. Can't believe I spent north of $12k on lenses in the fall. Why weren't existing Phase customers offered a coupon of some sort to keep them in the family. The result of these sorts of promotions is that the entire system is devalued and it makes it easier to switch to a different platform if you become even slightly unhappy with your vendor. That is, IMHO...

Curious what others think?

D

ddk

Well, there's always something new, or a better deal to be had, happens with most things, cars, watches, electronics, computers, etc., etc., etc., nothing new here with MFDBs.

arashm

actually I'm really surprised that there was not even a mention of the new phase promotion on this board.
I can't believe they are giving away 5 "D" series lenses away with the P45+
If I'm doing my math right, that's just shy of $15K, and pretty much all the lenses one would need for many styles of shooting.
Frankly I think they should lower the price of the P21+ kit down to below $10K, get all the guys going to D3x and 1Ds3 to enter the phase family, where the only place they would go is up...
to get 5 free lenses one still has to shell out a fair bit of cash.
I'm also interested to hear other folks thoughts on this.
and naturally IMHO only.
am

KeithL

Like it or not, the perceived value and advantages of lower end MFD are in decline.

Hasselblad and Phamiya have recognised this and the fact that the market is going to be extremely tough for the foreseeable future and have reacted by making their product more affordable. Why the other major players are heading in exactly the opposite direction is beyond me. It doesn't take a genius to predict the eventual winners and losers here.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I tend to look at the brighter side of this promotion. First off personally if I could pull it off I would jump all over the P45 Plus, one I have most of the lenses though but this is really not aimed at me but folks that want to jump in and also for Phase to keep revenue up and get folks in the door. From that standpoint why not. Another reason and this is not any hint or anything but new product maybe around the corner and this get's some stock sold. Although the P45 plus is in high demand as well as the P30 plus. I do expect in my little crystal ball that my back P25 plus may get discontinued for maybe something new. But that would not stop me from buying one at a good price either new or used. I tested every back they have even the P65 and seriously I would buy any of them given that one back fits my needs. All of them in my mind stand very high out in the real world of shooting. I don't really feel that my investment has lost it's value though. At some point this paid for itself in terms of revenue and after that it's a freebie. Everything depreciates to some degree. Buy a computer and that percentage is way lower in depreciation value than any camera out there. My Mac Pro cost me a small fortune at the time . Lucky to even get 20 cents on the dollar for it today and PC's are worse since the market is so flooded with new product.

Now someone tell me how I can get the P45 plus package and sell my whole setup to do that for very little cost difference and I am all ears. I would need a LOT of love here. LOL But on the same token i am really happy with what I have too. And happy with camera gear does not come out of my mouth very often.

jklotz

Guy, I agree with you. I've got a P25 (on a Cambo WDS), and while I'd love to get a P65+, or even just a "+" back, this thing keeps chugging along shoot after shoot. And all my clients love the files it produces. I just can't seem to find a way to justify spending that kind of $ to upgrade. I just licensed an image today that will be used on a billboard. The printer commented on how great the image was to work with because it blew up so well. This camera is going on 3 years now. The return on investment has been very good.

My canon gear, on the other hand.....