The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

no live view with credo 40 and 645DF+ and 80mm lens?

gebseng

Hie everyone at GetDPI,

When I switch on Live View on my Credo 40 back (with 645DF+ body and the MAMIYA SEKOR AF 80 MM F2.8 D (non-LS) lens, the front of the body produces a strange and loud noise, which only disappears if I slightly move the "remove lens" lever.
The second issue: After I finish live view, the lens aperture is always f22, no matter what it used to be before live view (but during live view, it fully opens to f2.Cool
The Credo 40 was bough 1yr ago, the 645DF+ about 6 months.

I first contacted my dealer, who had no idea about the issue. Then I opened a support case with Phase One, their answer was
"This is a known issue in current DF+ firmware when working with focalplane shutter lenses. We are currently working on a firmware update to solve it. Final release date is not yet known."

Does that sound right to you? It basically means that Live View on the DF+ is broken with the standard 80mm lens attached. The camera and lens have been around for many years, so I doubt that this will be resolved anytime soon.
I'm also worried that this might damage the lens or body, since I don't know where that noise is coming from.

I would be thankful for your ideas, has anyone else also experienced this issue?

A video to show this behaviour can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kot7g816v1vo6zs/IMG_6870.MOV?dl=0

best,

geb

kdphotography

Well, an easy quick temporary fix is your dealer or Phase should swap out and loan you an 80mm LS until new DF+ firmware is issued or problem resolved. Should be under warranty as you state your DF+ was purchased only ~6 months ago....

That sound----*ouch* one step below fingernails on the chalkboard. Hope your dealer steps up to the plate.

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We haven't noticed this at DT, but 95%+ of our systems are sold with the 80LS not the 80D. Agree with Ken that your dealer should be able to find a good way forward for you.

Egor

Reported this to my dealer, DT, almost a month ago..
Got same thing here, geb, on both brand new IQ250 and Credo80 when using non-LS lens (such as 75-150-zoom). I guess the databack is irrelevant its a camera/lens firmware issue.
Told my dealer, DT, all about it, and was told there is a firmware fix in beta.
Allison in tech support there said there is a beta FW update she wants us to try. Cant update the camera, for some reason, even with the v-grip (no idea why) but am working on it. Sent demo rental lens back to DT to have them check. If we can't get FW updated on bodies today, we will get a loaner body and have them do it.
Problem seems to be the lens aperture motor has a conflict with the DF+ LV command. It is stuck at f22 trying to open up wide for LV. A quick toggle on the lens release switch gets the lens to open up and LV calms down gets clear and the sound goes away. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, and LV is way better after you open the poor lens....but is a pain in the butt and darn annoying. I have to keep walking over to the camera to turn it off between shots for the stylists.
Its a real "buzz-kill" isn't it?

Last edited:

Egor

"Databack" - definitely a former film user's Freudian slip! :)

Although one could argue that a digital back very much is a databack, in the literal sense. :lecture:

Ray
Guilty as charged, Ray!

I paid my photo dues in the 70's so what else should I call it?
Also, as an engineer I have a fondness for names that "literally" describe what one is talking about. :salute:

gebseng

My dealer has the beta firmware, so I will go there next week and update the DF+. I hope that using a beta firmware won't have any downsides.

best,

geb