The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Question

Mgreer316

When you load a folder of images into C1, it creates a "Capture One" folder in that folder. In the "Capture One" folder are the "Setting80" and "Cache" folders. I don't want that Capture One folder created in the image folder. All only want the RAW files in that folder. Nothing else. Therefore, can I tell C1 to create the "Capture One" folder elsewhere? If so, how?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
When you load a folder of images into C1, it creates a "Capture One" folder in that folder. In the "Capture One" folder are the "Setting80" and "Cache" folders. I don't want that Capture One folder created in the image folder. All only want the RAW files in that folder. Nothing else. Therefore, can I tell C1 to create the "Capture One" folder elsewhere? If so, how?
Use a catalog instead of a session and it won't create anything next to the raws.

But if you took a Capture One class I suspect strongly that we'd convert you over to the dark side and you'd find the positives of having a sidecar folder a la a session is a much better solution if your workflow involves more than one computer and your work is more project based than stock-photography based.

Mgreer316

Honestly, I don't know whether I'm using a catalog or a session! Here's my deal. In my studio there's my office and my camera room. I shoot tethered from my Credo 60 to my laptop in my camera room. I do no processing on the laptop. It's only function is to capture the images tethered to my back and display them on a flat screen in the camera room. My laptop is hard wired to my local area network. I do all of my image processing in my office. After a shoot, I go to my office and "Ingest" the images from my laptop to my image processing machine using Photo Mechanic. In Photo Mechanic, the "Ingest" function not only scans and copies all image files in the target folder (the folder on my laptop with the RAW files), but also all folders nested in the tree. Therefore, depending on how many images I've captured, it takes a little while before the images actually start appearing on my image processing machine because PM is traversing all the folders and files C1 has created on the laptop. That's why I want to get rid of that Capture One folder on my laptop.

Mgreer316

But Doug, if you know of a better solution please let me know. This is what I'd like to do. First my configuration.

I've got C1 loaded on both my laptop in the camera room and my image processing machine in my office. My laptop also drives a 55" flat screen in the camera room. So instead of using Capture Pilot on an iPad, I use my flat screen to view images as I'm shooting. So the laptop's only purpose is to run C1 for image capture purposes and to display the images on the flat screen. No image processing on the laptop. I do that on my PC in my office.

1) capture images to my laptop in the camera room.
2) have those images automatically copied (not moved) to my image processing PC in my office.
3) edit the images with my office PC

I don't know if I can use C1 to facilitate this, but nothing else I've investigated works. Photo Mechanic has the capability to set up a hot folder. But it's only configured to move, not copy files from the hot folder. That won't do me any good as I need to have the images available on the laptop during the shoot. I did set up C1 on the laptop in the camera room to capture images to a folder on my PC in the office, but because of the size of the Credo 60 files, it takes way too long for the images to be displayed back to the flat screen in the camera room.

I hope all of this makes sense.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sounds like you should stick with sessions.

Sounds like any number of general sync applications would work perfectly fine for this application. Even one using the web, assuming your internet connection was speedy enough. A sync'd google drive folder or dropbox folder would copy as you-go so moments after the last shot you'd be up to date in both places - and have a web backup.

Or locally there are any number of sync applications meant to work over any attached network device.

Either way, since you're syncing the session folder any of your modifications like rating, color tag, crop, development adjustments (which are held in the Capture One folder) will be maintained, and the previews (which are also held in that Capture One folder) won't need to be rebuilt on the new system.

"Ingesting" using PM seems, to me, to have no advantages over these options.

Mgreer316

Hmm.... Thanks Doug. Food for thought. I hadn't thought of using Dropbox. But here's why I use Photo Mechanic, renaming. C1 doesn't allow me to name the files consistent with how I've named to m for over 10 years. This is my naming convention: "YYMMDD-HHMMSS". I can get the yymmdd, but I can't get the hhmmss part using C1's renaming facilities. If I could, I wouldn't need PM at all.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hmm.... Thanks Doug. Food for thought. I hadn't thought of using Dropbox. But here's why I use Photo Mechanic, renaming. C1 doesn't allow me to name the files consistent with how I've named to m for over 10 years. This is my naming convention: "YYMMDD-HHMMSS". I can get the yymmdd, but I can't get the hhmmss part using C1's renaming facilities. If I could, I wouldn't need PM at all.
If that's the issue then you'll soon be a very happy camper.

I can't say any more than this... yet.

Pemihan

Doug, does that also means that renaming in C1 will be chronological?
I experience that renaming is rather random which totally screw things up when stitching or using LCC's

Peter

Mgreer316

Doug, if you were referring to version 8.1, I got really excited and just installed it. But alas, it didn't fix my issue with it's renaming capabilities. Here's my problem.

My file naming convention has been this for over a decade: "yymmdd-hhmmss-imagenum", where yymmdd is the year, month, date; hhmmss is hours, minutes, seconds, and the file section is the image number. So for an image captured today at 3:43PM and 56 seconds, a filename in my convention would look like, "141223-154356-2768" The problem with C1 is the hhmmss part.

In the previous and current versions, C1 offers a "time" renaming token. It comes in 3 formats; h-mm tt, HH-mm, and HH-mm-ss. None of them work with my convention as they have dashes in them. What C1 doesn't offer is what it offers with the dates. C1 offers "Current Date" with several different formats. None of which I can use because they have dashes in them. However, it also offers Current Year, Current Month, and Current Day tokens. So I use those to get my YYMMDD format. What I need are Current Hour, Current Minute, and Current Second tokens to get my hhmmss format.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Batch rename to HH-mm-ss ===> find+replace the dash with nothing ==> batch rename with image name token to preserve the result and add the additional info in front.

I could also think of several other more automated ways of dealing with this, a few of which are covered in our Capture One Masters Program, but all are a bit more involved than I would post to the forums.