The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One - IQ1&2 firmware request

gerald.d

I thought it might make sense to have a thread for this so that Phase One can have clear visibility of customer demand for the automatic LCC correction released with the A-series to be made available to all IQ back owners.

So here's the request -

Dear Phase One -

As someone who has invested a considerable amount of money in products from both yourselves and ALPA, it would be great if you were to make the automatic LCC correction available to me.

On the Phase One side, I own IQ250, IQ180 and P45+ Achromatic. Now I suspect it's not realistic to expect a firmware update for the P45+ to include this functionality, but it would be great to have it for the IQ series backs.

On the ALPA side, I have TC, Max, FPS, and the Rodie 23, 32, 40, 50, 70 and 90.

Clearly people like myself who have already invested a considerable amount of money in Phase One/ALPA systems are not the target customer for the A-series, but I would hope that you would recognise that your long-standing customers should also have this functionality made available to them, and look forward to you releasing new firmware in due course.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

LCC is pretty dependent on movements. Why would you expect such function given that among the gear you have only the 23HR + IQ180 combo does not require shift? I wouldn't believe that Phase One would be able to implement an algorithm that is clever enough to guess the amount of movement (+tilt to get things even more complicated), since ALPA is still unable to pass any movement information to the digital back.

gerald.d

LCC is pretty dependent on movements. Why would you expect such function given that among the gear you have only the 23HR + IQ180 combo does not require shift? I wouldn't believe that Phase One would be able to implement an algorithm that is clever enough to guess the amount of movement (+tilt to get things even more complicated), since ALPA is still unable to pass any movement information to the digital back.
Actually, all of the lenses on either the TC or FPS would benefit from automatic LCC's.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

miska

Already a mechanism to be able to enter what lens was used would help the LCC:ing process a lot. If in addition, one could enter by hand the f-stop and movements, that would be really nice (and yes, make it sticky, don't want to enter it every time, just when something is changed)...
Thanks Phase One !

Pemihan

As I have stated quite a few times, also directly to Phase One, it would be really nice to be able to manual enter lens/shift/rise/fall and it really shouldn't be too hard to implement that in the IQ firmware, including the firmware for the IQ1 backs.
And yes make it sticky until you again change things.

kdphotography

I think the mere thought or hesitation by Phase not to offer "automatic LCC correction" for all IQ series MFDBs to be dubious at best. My understanding is that this function/capability is software/firmware driven along with C1Pro 8. What a great combination. It's not new hardware!

Why in the world wouldn't you offer this to your loyal clientele?

Anything that might make using a Phase ONE IQ series MFDB easier, no wait---"what the world's best photography is made of" should be offered uniformly on all capable MFDBs, specifically IQ 1 and 2 series backs. Why in the world the limitation to the "A-series?" :loco: Choice is a good thing: choosing which IQ series MFDB to use as well as other technical camera platforms such as Cambo and Arca. It's personal!

I would think this uniform capability would maintain Phase ONE as the best choice in a MFDB for any technical camera, primarily over venerable H who it seems is coming back from the ledge and more willing to open its camera platform. I could even see applications of auto-LCC going beyond technical cameras and being used with DF type cameras too. Btw where is that new Phase One camera body? :)

Phase has established the IQ series as its flagship MFDBs over the more economical Leaf Credo, and certainly here I could understand "automatic LCC correction" as being another distinction and offering (such as focus mask) not available on the Credo.

I think the folks at Phase ONE in Denmark "working behind the scenes" really do love photographic excellence and so I hope they think this through and support all IQ series MFDBs uniformly, because that's what the world's best photography is made of.

:) ken

Last edited:

Steve C

I agree strongly with the need for focal length, aperture, rise/fall, and shift as sticky entries on all IQ backs. I would add fields for shutter speed (the back sometimes gets this wrong), tilt and filters. It would also be useful to be able to edit EXIF data in Capture One to correct errors that are automatically entered or fixing time zone changes that some photographers forget enter.

Additionally, it would be nice to have a selectable delay for back "awake" time. Often, 4 seconds is not enough and Zero Latency is too long. Making the color codes that are available in Capture One able to be selected on the IQ back at the time of exposure would be useful as well. Finally, please move the Format function away from the first entry on the Menu screen! It is too easy to accidentally format a full card. Put it on the second page or at the bottom of the menu. These should all be simple firmware additions.

Phase One is showing an interest in supporting Tech cam users. These steps would prove their commitment.