The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV50c Images

darr

It is tempting as all I would need is a Arca plate and the triggering solution which may be the same.

Does C1 work with the files from the Hasselblad? Or is their Phocus ghe only solution for raw, and how does Phocus work with an LCC?

One can still purchase these from ebay? At the 10k price?

Thanks
Paul
Hasselblad RAW files are not supported in C1. Creating LCC files is very easy in Phocus. Phocus is license free software and can be downloaded here to see what the UI is like. I do not have a lot of experience using Phocus yet, but did use it for LCC creation.

There are currently two CFV50c backs available through Breguetcamera, but they are not $10k. They are advertised at $13.5k US, but they will accept offers. I did not pay $13.5k, but I paid more than $12k with shipping.

Kind regards,
Darr

SHV

"There are currently two CFV50c backs available through Breguetcamera,"
Will there be any "issues" with getting service/repair from HasselbladUSA with a back purchased from Japan? I assume the "Japanese" back has English menu as an option.

Steve

darr

"There are currently two CFV50c backs available through Breguetcamera,"
Will there be any "issues" with getting service/repair from HasselbladUSA with a back purchased from Japan? I assume the "Japanese" back has English menu as an option.

Steve
Hi Steve,

The CFV50c comes with a one year warranty from Hasselblad, and you register as owner on Hasselblad's website. My registration went through with no problems with the dealer's name, serial number and registration number. I received confirmation back from Hasselblad that I successfully registered the product. It is not an International Warranty, so if there is a problem it may have to go back to the original dealer. I did call Hasselblad tech support about using my studio strobe remote, and they were very helpful. If you have the concern over the warranty, I would call Hasselblad prior to purchase. B&H Photo sells the CFV50c as well.

The CFV50c's menu system is in English as well as other languages. There was a Xerox copy of a user manual in Japanese in the box, but included in the box is a CD with user manuals in English for the CFV50c and Phocus; a LR plugin; Phocus software and video tutorials. I uploaded a copy of the User Manual (pdf) for someone else, and here is the link if you or anyone else would like to review it.

Kind regards,
Darr

SHV

Hi Steve,

The CFV50c comes with a one year warranty from Hasselblad, and you register as owner on Hasselblad's website. My registration went through with no problems with the dealer's name, serial number and registration number. I received confirmation back from Hasselblad that I successfully registered the product. It is not an International Warranty, so if there is a problem it may have to go back to the original dealer. I did call Hasselblad tech support about using my studio strobe remote, and they were very helpful. If you have the concern over the warranty, I would call Hasselblad prior to purchase. B&H Photo sells the CFV50c as well.

The CFV50c's menu system is in English as well as other languages. There was a Xerox copy of a user manual in Japanese in the box, but included in the box is a CD with user manuals in English for the CFV50c and Phocus; a LR plugin; Phocus software and video tutorials. I uploaded a copy of the User Manual (pdf) for someone else, and here is the link if you or anyone else would like to review it.

Kind regards,
Darr

Thanks....I guess that I will go back to ebay and get up the nerve to make an offer.

Steve

tjv

Hi Darr,
Thanks again for posting your impressions. I'm really impressed, both with your photographs and also the performance your report of the back!
I'm intrigued about the performance of the lenses you use. I have a Rodenstock 55mm APO-Sironar Digital lens that I'd like to use as a standard lens on this back, but no one has been able to confirm the performance of it paired with the CMOS chip. If your 47mm XL is doing well, I can only assume the 55mm will do okay too. By any chance, are you able to post a series of LCC shots to demonstrate the colour cast etc at various movements with your 47mm? I guess I'm asking because I'm going off reviews by Guy etc that state that 12mm on surmise that the practical limit for movements with this back. It'd be great if you could confirm that with a different set of lenses.
In the meantime, I'll have to dream big about buying this back. As they say, timing is everything and in this instance I'm sorry to say my timing is off :-(

darr

Hi Darr,
Thanks again for posting your impressions. I'm really impressed, both with your photographs and also the performance your report of the back!
I'm intrigued about the performance of the lenses you use. I have a Rodenstock 55mm APO-Sironar Digital lens that I'd like to use as a standard lens on this back, but no one has been able to confirm the performance of it paired with the CMOS chip. If your 47mm XL is doing well, I can only assume the 55mm will do okay too. By any chance, are you able to post a series of LCC shots to demonstrate the colour cast etc at various movements with your 47mm? I guess I'm asking because I'm going off reviews by Guy etc that state that 12mm on surmise that the practical limit for movements with this back. It'd be great if you could confirm that with a different set of lenses.
In the meantime, I'll have to dream big about buying this back. As they say, timing is everything and in this instance I'm sorry to say my timing is off :-(
I have a shoot scheduled at the railroad depot in town this week. There is a unique brick wall there that I will try and setup shooting my 47xl with incremental movements in all directions and post the LCCs here. It is weather permitting, but I will try to do it. I cannot comment on any Rodenstock lenses. I did use them for many years when I shot 4x5", but made the switch to SK mainly due to compactness when I made the digital transition. Different strokes for different folks. ;)

Last edited:

Paul2660

Darr, one last question, does the chip have the same ratio 1:3 as the IQ or Credo version or is cropped to a square size like the older Hasselbald's? Edit, It appears to be the same.

If I can get over the loss of C1 support, this does appear attractive indeed.

If it's the same as the Credo 50 in chip size, then the value prop is hard to not consider, @ 15,500 US currently at B&H.

Many thanks again for the shots and feedback on live view.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Realistically if demand has been high, it's already discounted against US prices, you only have a couple left and there are people still making offers, then you're likely to hold out for your listing price.

At $13,500 I'd actually probably pay the extra for a U.S. dealer sourced back and remove any warranty issues. If the international warranty applies then this would be less of a concern but even premium Phase One backs I've owned have required support at some point.

If you've saved yourself a significant amount then I think that you're essentially self-insured against the worries of international support to certain degree. :thumbs:

Last edited:

SHV

"If you've saved yourself a significant amount then I think that you're essentially self-insured against the worries of international support to certain degree."
I figured, if they accepted $3k under US list , that would self-insure. I've had a CFV-16 for about 10 years and except for a repair of a loose battery contact pin, it has been "bullet proof".

Steve

Douglas Fairbank

ha! been classic hunting as well

i just secured a very nice 205FCC, 110/f2, 40 IF to go with the cfv50c, but am on hiatus for a week to mexico; no cameras going
You may need a small modification to the circuitry of the 205 to use it with a CFV back. Get in touch with Hasselblad in New Jersey who should be able to tell you more.

Sunchai

May I ask.
Is the CFV50c have the same mounting system to 500V.body like the previous CFV?

Best Regards,
Sunchai.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
May I ask.
Is the CFV50c have the same mounting system to 500V.body like the previous CFV?

Best Regards,
Sunchai.

YES . You can mount that back to any 500C series camera as well as to 2000/200 series and all V-Mount adapters . It has the V-Mount .

Merry X-mas to you . :) P.S Can't find the Santa Claus icon .

Sunchai

YES . You can mount that back to any 500C series camera as well as to 2000/200 series and all V-Mount adapters . It has the V-Mount .

Merry X-mas to you . :) P.S Can't find the Santa Claus icon .
Hi, thank,
so still no portrait mount like the one you have. then I have some hope for smart Flex-L plate.
Merry X-mas and may Gold bless you and your family.
Sunchai.:)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Santa Claus promised me to bring me a CFV-50c back next year .
Good to know , because every good boy deserves a favour .View attachment 85002

Merry X-MAS and a Happy New Year to all getdpi friends .

SHV

You may need a small modification to the circuitry of the 205 to use it with a CFV back. Get in touch with Hasselblad in New Jersey who should be able to tell you more.
An unmodified 203/205 will work with the digital back but will require the external wire cord. Modification by HB will allow it to work without the cord but eliminates the communication from the film back to the body. Not a major problem.

Steve

jotloob

Subscriber Member
An unmodified 203/205 will work with the digital back but will require the external wire cord. Modification by HB will allow it to work without the cord but eliminates the communication from the film back to the body. Not a major problem.

Steve
Additional :
My understanding is , that the unmodified body can only use C , CF and CFE lenses with their leaf shutters (C-mode) and a modified body can also use the F and FE lenses , but then uses the bodies focal plane shutter .
If you don't use or have F/FE lenses , you don't need the modification .

Dogs857

This is one of the most exciting things I have seen all year.
Thank you for sharing Georgia. As a tech cam user I would be interested to see how this handles movements.