The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV50c Images

darr

As promised, here are a few sample images. This is not the best time of year to acquire a new digital back and expect to be able to find time for trying it out, but I did get to wander off to a country road yesterday for a couple of quick shots, and I was also able to shoot some lilies in the studio tonight.

I can tell you that I like the back very much, especially the Live View (LV) because I no longer need to carry my ground glass and loupe, and anything that lightens up my bag is a blessing. My eyes are not as good as they use to be and I am wearing bifocals, but I can focus just find with LV alone.

I tried to shoot with different lenses and some shots with movements. An LCC was made for all shots, even for ones I would not normally do. The images were brought into Phocus, an LCC was created and applied, and then the images went directly into Lightroom (LR). I do not have the time to learn Phocus at the moment, so LR is it.

In chronological order:

Centipede at Flipper Park, Thomasville, GA
Alpa Max + SK 28xl @ f/11 + CFV50c

Contrasty scene, no ND or polarizer filter, one shot exposure. I could see to focus with LV without having to use my Hoodman Loupe.

Setting Sun on Family Cemetery, Metcalf, GA
Alpa Max + SK 47xl @ f/11 + CFV50c + 5mm Fall

The red circle indicates where I want to focus. The screen looks much better than what is in the photo.

After I clicked the '+' button, the red circle area is enlarged; I then focused on Fred's memorial.

100% enlargement from the finished photo above of where I focused. The colors are different because I use a camera to make art. :p

Old Rickety Shack, Metcalf, GA
Alpa Max + SK 72xl @ f/11, 400 ASA + CFV50c + 5mm Shift, 10mm Rise

This was shot from across the road and between eighteen wheelers hauling logs to the lumberyard. This lovely shack is lopsided in all corners.

White Lillies
Alpa Max + SK 120mm M @ f/11 + CFV50c

Behind the scenes and in the studio.
The back is in the vertical position, and the Profoto Air remote is hanging from the studio stand.

I use my Alpa cold shoe with a cord bracket (left side), and do not want to add another attachment to my camera body (I like simplicity).
Lucky for me the CFV50c allows a 3.5 mini jack (second cord out of back) connection to my Air remote to set off the strobes. Piece of cake in the studio!

And the first shot I took with the back ...

Evening at St. Marks NWR
Alpa Max + SK 72xl @ f/11, 800 ASA + CFV50c

It was pitch black when I was loading my car. It was just me and the alligators!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you Darr . Very interesting .
You surely will have to learn working with the different crop factor in comparison to your "old" digital back .
The higher crop factor is the only reason for me, not to dream of a CFV-50c .
My wildest dream is a CFV with a CMOS sensorsize of 37x49 and not more pixels .

I wish you a Merry X-Mas and lots of fun with your new toy .:)

torger

Thanks for posting! Great images and nice to see some shots of the user interface of the back. When it comes to tech cameras this back deserves just as much attention as the IQ250 and Credo 50.

Having recently got the CCD H4D-50 I can say that the plain raw conversion in Phocus is considerably better than in Lightroom. I would expect less of a difference with the CMOS as there's less "black magic" in CMOS conversion, but still it can be worth evaluating carefully before possibly going for a Lightroom-only workflow.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Darlene,

Thanks for sharing images and experience!

Best regards
Erik

As promised, here are a few sample images. This is not the best time of year to acquire a new digital back and expect to be able to find time for trying it out, but I did get to wander off to a country road yesterday for a couple of quick shots, and I was also able to shoot some lilies in the studio tonight.

I can tell you that I like the back very much, especially the Live View (LV) because I no longer need to carry my ground glass and loupe, and anything that lightens up my bag is a blessing. My eyes are not as good as they use to be and I am wearing bifocals, but I can focus just find with LV alone.

I tried to shoot with different lenses and some shots with movements. An LCC was made for all shots, even for ones I would not normally do. The images were brought into Phocus, an LCC was created and applied, and then the images went directly into Lightroom (LR). I do not have the time to learn Phocus at the moment, so LR is it.

Paul2660

Darr,

Thanks for the posting. Nice to see the Live View features!. Looks like Hasselblad has a winner for sure.

I see it's on a Max, have you done any movements yets?

Thanks
Paul

PS, you do make photography into Art, love the flowers.

darr

Thank you Darr . Very interesting .
You surely will have to learn working with the different crop factor in comparison to your "old" digital back .
The higher crop factor is the only reason for me, not to dream of a CFV-50c .
My wildest dream is a CFV with a CMOS sensorsize of 37x49 and not more pixels .

I wish you a Merry X-Mas and lots of fun with your new toy .:)
Hey Jürgen,
I do have to get use to the new crop margins, but a new challenge helps keep the boredom at bay for a while. I understand the crop factor would be an issue for some people, but I really wanted the LV and the price was right. So far I am happy with the back. Now I am looking for a bag to hold the camera with back attached for traveling locally. The LV is that good!

Merry Xmas to you and maybe Santa's workshop is working on the 37x49 CMOS. :chug:

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

Thanks for posting! Great images and nice to see some shots of the user interface of the back. When it comes to tech cameras this back deserves just as much attention as the IQ250 and Credo 50.

Having recently got the CCD H4D-50 I can say that the plain raw conversion in Phocus is considerably better than in Lightroom. I would expect less of a difference with the CMOS as there's less "black magic" in CMOS conversion, but still it can be worth evaluating carefully before possibly going for a Lightroom-only workflow.
Thank you Anders for the complements and recommendation for Phocus. I will definitely start using it. It does look user friendly enough, especially since I have been using Sigma's SPP with my Foveon files for a while. Congratulations on your new back as well, as I know you were looking to acquire one.

Happy Holidays,
Darr

darr

Hi Darlene,

Thanks for sharing images and experience!

Best regards
Erik
Happy Holidays to you Erik!
Now the hunt for a Hassy classic system will begin after the first of the year. I appreciate all the files you have shared while I was doing my research.

Kind regards,
Darr

jlm

Workshop Member
ha! been classic hunting as well

i just secured a very nice 205FCC, 110/f2, 40 IF to go with the cfv50c, but am on hiatus for a week to mexico; no cameras going

darr

Darr,

Thanks for the posting. Nice to see the Live View features!. Looks like Hasselblad has a winner for sure.

I see it's on a Max, have you done any movements yets?

Thanks
Paul

PS, you do make photography into Art, love the flowers.
Hi Paul,
The LV is incredible! I feel like my tech camera just got a set of eyes. :D
I do believe Hasselblad has a winner as well. I feel competition in the marketplace may be on the MF shooters side for a change.

I have done movements with the SK 47 and SK 72, and I am happy to say at first glance their LCCs look clean before conversion. I do not do movements with the SK 28xl because it's LCC is very colorful without movements. I love the SK 28xl and bought it to use without movements. When I shot Nikon, I found the 20mm was the lens I used for a lot of landscape and structure shooting and wanted something similar in MF. I had to wait for the lens to become available used and was finally able to buy it from a photographer in Australia.

Thank you for the compliment; it is appreciated. :)

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

i just secured a very nice 205FCC, 110/f2, 40 IF to go with the cfv50c, but am on hiatus for a week to mexico; no cameras going
Congratulations! Hiatus to Mexico for a week sounds really cool too.
Happy Holidays John!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I so don't want to read this thread ... :D

I'm going to have to add one of these to my 503CXi and perhaps even the RZ. The Alpa with this looks like a fun combination and my Rodies should work just fine with it.

I just got a new camera bag so mine will have to wait until the new year but this is on my must-have list for 2015.

SHV

As an owner of a couple of 203FEs and about dozen CF, CFE, FEs, I will be very interested in the report of how well the legacy glass will hold up with the CFV-50c.

Steve

Swissblad

Hi Darr,

Thank you very much for posting this…. those white lilies are amazing.

I'm SO glad I kept my 503cx and lenses….. time to start saving.

BTW, where did you order it from…?

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I am using a few CF/CFE/CFi lenses with a P45+ and they do remarkably well, I think. Obviously the CFV-50c is a bit more demanding, as the pixels are smaller than on my P45+.

I have posted a few samples here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/BernardSamples/

And this is a discussion thread about those images:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...041-some-p45-hasselblad-v-series-samples.html

Best regards
Erik

As an owner of a couple of 203FEs and about dozen CF, CFE, FEs, I will be very interested in the report of how well the legacy glass will hold up with the CFV-50c.

Steve

danlindberg

Congratiulations Darr :thumbup:

I'm sure you are going to enjoy this back for many years to come. Live view is ofcourse a superb feature. I miss live view for tilt/swing scenes, but am pretty ok to work blindly for shift or zeroed comps. However, that little red dot on the screen for exact focusing is....mmmm......tempting...:eek:

Paul2660

It is tempting as all I would need is a Arca plate and the triggering solution which may be the same.

Does C1 work with the files from the Hasselblad? Or is their Phocus ghe only solution for raw, and how does Phocus work with an LCC?

One can still purchase these from ebay? At the 10k price?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

vjbelle

This chip is just too fascinating to let the crop factor get in the way. Its really no big deal... For most situations I don't even know its there. I've had instances of high wind where I never could have used my IQ back but with my Leaf I just up the ISO to 400 or 800 and still have a super clean file. Of course, tilt and swing are a breeze!

Happy shooting Darr......

Victor

Last edited:

darr

Hi Darr,

Thank you very much for posting this…. those white lilies are amazing.

I'm SO glad I kept my 503cx and lenses….. time to start saving.

BTW, where did you order it from…?
I purchased the back from auction seller, breguetcamera and from their Japan location. Read through this thread for additional info.

Thank you for the compliment and Happy Holidays,
Darr