The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90mm HRSW or 70mm HR

Jamgolf

So I've got a Cambo 1200 and Credo 60 but no lens ... since Rodenstock 32mm is back-ordered

While I am waiting for my 32mm to arrive I have been thinking about a second lens. I think I'll stick to a 2-lens kit, so I have been contemplating either a 70mm HR or 90mm HRSW - but can't decide and am hoping to get some advice on this.

90mm SW is obviously more expensive and larger but optically superior and has a much bigger image circle. I am leaning toward 90mm but the general opinion seems to be that for longer focal lengths, the difference between a tech-camera lens and a MF-DSLR lens is minimal - so I wonder about the wisdom of such a premium.

70mm HR also has a decent image circle is smaller and seems to be optically pretty good.

I've evaluated my image library and notice a lot of shots that I like happen to be in the 45mm-55mm range. So both 70mm HR (~43mm equivalent) and 90mm SW (~56mm equivalent) should work.

Any practical experiences and observations with these lenses or focal lengths in field use?
Preferences - one over the other?

Cheers!

jlm

Workshop Member
i have the rodi 70 T/S for sale right now (for Cambo)

a particularly nice lens. i used it more than the 120mm SK, but that is pretty subjective

Paul2660

The difference will be less, however if you still want movements, shift or rise fall and not worry about correction for parallax, then the 90 Rod or 70mm Rod are both excellent.

One note, I have not use the latest, HRSW 90mm, as it's just too expensive for a focal range I don't use that much @ 7 to 8 K at least on an Arca mount and I am pretty sure if you add a T/S mount to the Cambo it will come close. Both the HR and HR-W versions of this lens will get a ghost flare that will basically ruin a shot. It happens with no warning and you need to watch for it. The ghosting till effect a large part of the image mainly in the contrast and it's very hard to get it back. This Not the same type of flare that a 23 HR or 40 HR-W will show. Use of lens hood can help, but there are times where you are shooting, where it seems the sky somehow will reflect back inside the elements and ghost. My 90mm HR does this quite a bit and I had hope that Schneider was going forward with their 100mm, but it seems that they are not.

Some report that the HRSW yellow band version has some improvements on the ghosting. I have never used one so I can't report.

As far as optical quality, the 90mm HR is excellent so I can't imagine the HRSW's quality. However for sure you would get very close with a 110mm Schneider LS lens. But no movements and back to the DF+ or DF body.

Paul

Jamgolf

i have the rodi 70 T/S for sale right now (for Cambo)

a particularly nice lens. i used it more than the 120mm SK, but that is pretty subjective
Yes I have been watching your 70 mm HR :)
I am surprised actually that its still available.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So I've got a Cambo 1200 and Credo 60 but no lens ... since Rodenstock 32mm is back-ordered
Cost and focal length aside I'd go for the 90HR-SW over the 70HR. They are both excellent lenses, but the 90HR-SW is part of the new UBER-good class of tech cam lenses along with the 32HR, 60XL, and 120ASPH.

Also: as of this morning we (Digital Transitions) have a 32HR for Cambo in stock and ready to ship.

Jamgolf

Paul:
The ghosting you describe would be quite troublesome, especially at such a high price point.
I wonder if 90mm SW is any better in that respect.

shortpballer:
Thanks for your input.
I've actually seen you make the same comment in several threads. So that indicates you've been consistently impressed with the lens.
Have you ever observed the ghosting that Paul (and others) have experienced with older 90mm HR?
I notice that most of your (posted) work is indoors, have you used your 90mm for landscapes or cityscapes?
What are your thoughts in such usage?
Thanks

Last edited:

Jamgolf

Cost and focal length aside I'd go for the 90HR-SW over the 70HR. They are both excellent lenses, but the 90HR-SW is part of the new UBER-good class of tech cam lenses along with the 32HR, 60XL, and 120ASPH.
Thanks for your input Doug.
What are your thoughts in regards to the ghosting reported with previous versions of 90mm?
Does SW version correct that?

I have not noticed significant ghosting like the old HR. There are some lens flare issues that can be easily solved with a lee filter hood :)

I don't know if someone mentioned this already, but the size of the 90HRSW and the 70mm are not even close. The 90 is quite a bit bigger and heavier.

Jamgolf

I don't know if someone mentioned this already, but the size of the 90HRSW and the 70mm are not even close. The 90 is quite a bit bigger and heavier.

I realize that. I think 70mm is quite compact (for a Rodenstock) and 90mm with its spacer would be quite a bit larger.

I've never seen one personally, or even a picture of one. Do you happen to have a picture that provides an idea of its magnitude?

Thanks

Last edited:

kdphotography

It may or may not be a concern to the user (it is to me---and I still would love the 90HRSW) but keep in mind you do have the rear extension to attach to the Cambo body and then reattach your MFDB. I'd rather keep it simple, especially in the field.

HR70 t/s is excellent and plays very well. No extension needed. I went with the HR70 and am extremely happy.

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I realize that. I think 70mm is quite compact (for a Rodenstock) and 90mm with its spacer would be quite a bit larger.

I've never seen one personally, or even a picture of one. Do you happen to have a picture that provides and idea of its magnitude?

Thanks
Weight and physical length (meaning how dimensionally long the lens is from rear lens element to front lens element, not it's focal length) for each lens can be found here:

Tech Camera Overview

jagsiva

I'd go for the 90HRSW (BTW, I'm not sure the you're going to get this any sooner than the 32HR, I waited quite some time for mine).

Second option for the same money would be to get the new versions of the SK60 AND SK120 ASPH. Both very sharp and quite small. Both also have very large IC's (120mm for the SK60 and 150mm for the SK120).

One other point to consider is that the 90HR (previous version) 70HR and 60XL do not need a back/lens extension. This makes life simpler for both transport and use.

The new 90HRSW and the SK120 need extensions.

I've never seen one personally, or even a picture of one. Do you happen to have a picture that provides and idea of its magnitude?

Thanks
I'd have to look to see if I have a picture of it on my camera. I think they have one on Alpa's website.

But here is a picture of the lens by itself on my website. This is alpa mount, so not sure what its like on cambo mount

Our Equipment | DosSantos – Lemone – Photography

Dogs857

I guess it depends on your shooting style.

I would go for the 70mm myself but that is because I shoot wider and will end up with a 120mm for the long end. In fact I bought my 70mm a week before John listed his and I am still annoyed at that as I paid more for a standard lens than he is asking for his T/S mount :mad: 40/70 is a fantastic 2 lens setup, so 32/70 should match.

How much stitching are you doing?? I have never wanted for more image circle with the 70mm, and I used to shoot it with an IQ180 on an Rm3di. Amazing optics and big circle. I guess if you are using a lot of rise/fall as well as lateral shift then the 90mm might be more effective, but it all depends on what you are doing.

You say most of your images are in this focal range so either is going to suit you well, it depends on whether you want to be a bit wider or a bit tighter. Spend a week with a DSLR at 45mm and again at 58mm and see which suits your style better.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

Why not the SK72 digitar. It's small, very sharp and quite flare resistant?
Well, mainly because I've read/heard that the rendering (drawing) of Rodenstocks and Schneiders is a bit different and for consistency I would like to stay with Rodenstock since I already have ordered a 32mm HR.

Jamgolf

How much stitching are you doing??
At this time I am not stitching much at all.
But everyone tells me that will change with the technical camera. 90mm does offer a much broader set of stitching possibilities, along with its reportedly stellar image quality even with large shifts. That does open up a lot of options.

70mm HR does that too but to a lesser extent.