The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90mm HRSW or 70mm HR

vjbelle

I would purchase an unmounted lens if one were available. You can always get it mounted - which is done by Schneider.

Victor

Paul2660

OK, I got the scoop. Schneider makes a 100mm APO Digitar, and that's still available, along with a 90mm. These are not the newer Aspheric designs like the latest 120mm.

All of last year it was rumored that Schneider was working a new "Aspheric" version of the 100mm, and it would have a larger image circle in the 110 to 120mm range. That lens has not been produced.

Schneider still makes the older APO-Digitar 90mm (90mm IC) and 100mm (100mm IC I believe) and those can be ordered from Alpa, Arca and Cambo.

There is an big optical difference in the 120mm APO Aspheric (better) and it will focus much closer than the older 120mm APO Digitar. In fact Schneider made both a macro and normal range version of the APO Digitar.

Back to the 90mm HRSW, it's all new glass, takes over a year to cool, so they are much more difficult to find. Supposedly by far the sharpest 90 Rodenstock has made. So it should be a great lens for you, just watch for the possible ghosting.

Older versions of the 90 Rodenstock,

90mm HR Pink band
90mm HR sinor digitar (supposedly built just a bit better) Pink band
90mm HR-W, Blue band, optically different and I believe it needs the back extension.

90mm HRSW, totally optically new and for sure needs the back extension, Yellow band.

Paul

dchew

I have both the 70 and the 90. I don't use the 70 any more, and have been on the fence about selling it. I purchased the 90 mid last year as a replacement for my 100hrs, which many of you know has a small image circle.

Once I got the 90, the 70 was a bit too close in focal length, especially given the 90's great large image circle. I have since replaced the 70 with the sk 60, which in my opinion fits better between my 40hr-w and the new 90hr-ws.

The 70 is a great lens. The 90 is better, and is literally stellar all the way out to the edge of the image circle. The 70 is just as good in the center, but not quite as perfect wide open at the edges.

As others have said, it is a lot smaller and a lot lighter. But the 90 is just so versatile because of the big, high-quality image circle.

Paul, I think you are correct above. I do not think Schneider ever made the 100 ASPH. Too bad; I was all excited about it last year.

Dave

tjv

I have the Rodenstock HR-W and currently use it on film. It's a wonderfully sharp lens, but the ghosting / flare drives me absolutely bananas. So, it's not a digital specific thing.
It was driving me so crazy, ruining so many shots that I had it sent to Rodenstock via Linhof Studio (who were BRILLIANT help in the matter) but Rodenstock said it was perfect. Ultimately, I'd buy it again because I need the image circle and like the focal length, but given an alternative, I'd prefer to stay clear.

vjbelle

OK, I got the scoop. Schneider makes a 100mm APO Digitar, and that's still available, along with a 90mm. These are not the newer Aspheric designs like the latest 120mm.

All of last year it was rumored that Schneider was working a new "Aspheric" version of the 100mm, and it would have a larger image circle in the 110 to 120mm range. That lens has not been produced.

Schneider still makes the older APO-Digitar 90mm (90mm IC) and 100mm (100mm IC I believe) and those can be ordered from Alpa, Arca and Cambo.

There is an big optical difference in the 120mm APO Aspheric (better) and it will focus much closer than the older 120mm APO Digitar. In fact Schneider made both a macro and normal range version of the APO Digitar.

Back to the 90mm HRSW, it's all new glass, takes over a year to cool, so they are much more difficult to find. Supposedly by far the sharpest 90 Rodenstock has made. So it should be a great lens for you, just watch for the possible ghosting.

Older versions of the 90 Rodenstock,

90mm HR Pink band
90mm HR sinor digitar (supposedly built just a bit better) Pink band
90mm HR-W, Blue band, optically different and I believe it needs the back extension.

90mm HRSW, totally optically new and for sure needs the back extension, Yellow band.

Paul
Alpa lists the Schneider 100mm Digitar as discontinued...... I'm still in shock! Of course, now, its around 15% more than two days ago if available. I toyed with getting the 120 but was very disappointed with the close focus range.... hardly what I would call macro - not even 1:2 so still requires an extender and I can duplicate all of that with my 150mm which is sharp as a tack.

Back to the 100..... its a killer lens and doesn't have any ghosting.

Victor

Paul2660

Don't forget, the 120 Schneider is now sold in the Aspheric and that is a totally different lens than the older 120mm, (non Macro).

The 120mm APO-Digatar Aspheric will focus as close as 5.5 feet.

Not too bad.

Paul

vjbelle

The new 120 will focus to 0.88m (2.88ft) but still not 1:2 so back to extenders. I'm sure its a great lens and I still slightly toy with it (enthusiasm dampened by 15%).

Victor

jlm

Workshop Member
took a close look at my 120:
marked: APO-DIGITAR 5.6/120 N-48ºMC and the close limit focus distance is 2.6M/8.5'

dchew

Just got home; size comparison...
Both include the necessary adapters for Alpa (17mm for the 70sb, 34mm for the 90sb)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Once more I have to cast my eyes aside from this thread and dave's 70hr & 90 hrsw. Lens lust is a terrible affliction. :eek:

dchew

Hehehe Graham,
You know I'm just Dante's pawn.

Here is an interesting comparison that shows just how much this new 90hr-sw is designed for image circle and quality, not size. f/5.6 90hr-sw on the left, f/4 100hr-s on the right. And that 100hr-s does not need an adapter; that is its full length.

Jamgolf

Good choice. The "buy once" strategy helps navigate Dante's Inferno a little bit.
Yes, pretty much that was the driving motivation.
I decided in favor of image quality at the expense of convenience, which is obviously a factor with the needed extender.

Time will tell whether overlooking the convenience turns out to be a frustration that I can't deal with. But at this point I feel confident that I've made the right choice.

Thanks again guys, for your candid advice and guidance.

Last edited:

jagsiva

with the 32HR and 90HRSW, if you are left wanting for a "lightweight" setup, the new SK60XL would be a great fit - large 120mm IC, super sharp, small, no extender, and fits nicely between 32 and 90. Now that you've acclimatized yourself to Rodie prices, the SK price won't seem that bad either :)