The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the best "crop sensor" CCD back?

joelorbita

So to say I am a little confused is a bit of an understatement...

After having looked at the various MFDB manufacturers sites, I still do not know exactly what is going on..

Phase One seems to have a number of "full frame" 645 backs that are all Dalsa/CCD type sensors.

What is the difference between the IQ1 and the IQ2 lines? They both seem to have a mix of "crop" and "full frame" sensors as well as having a mix of Dalsa/CCD and Sony CMOS sensors?

So, yep, confused...

Is there even a current "crop" sensor (33mm x 44mm) that is a CCD/Dalsa type available at the moment?

O.K, thanks so much! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dogs857

Here is how I understand it;

IQ180 and IQ280 are basically the same with some minor changes to UI (addition of wifi).
IQ160 and IQ260 are different. The 260 added long exposures to its capabilities as well as the minor changes to UI experienced in the IQ180.

Both these sensors are full frame.

IQ140 was dropped and replaced with the IQ250. This went from a Dalsa to a CMOS sensor and all the bells and whistles that goes with that, along with wifi and the other UI changes.

From what I understand the IQ140 was an excellent back. I have never used one myself, but it had all the UI benefits of the IQ series over the P+ cameras. I have no idea if you can still buy one new but I am sure one of the dealers who post on this site could help you out with that. If not then I know that the Credo 40 can still be bought new and at quite a nice price. The Credo backs look pretty good actually.

As for what is the "best" crop sensor back that would depend on what you are shooting with and what you need it for. I bought a P45+ because I wanted the long exposure capability and could not afford an IQ260.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There is really no reason to be confused. In a single phone call I can answer just about any question which has an objective answer (on the topic of phase/leaf digital backs). That's literally why dealers exist. Feel free to shoot me an email to arrange a call, or give me a ring tomorrow - I'll be on the road waiting in LA traffic much of the afternoon and eager for distraction.

Credo 40 and IQ140 are the only two CCD Crop backs in the Phase/Leaf line that are "current". Both have fantastic user interfaces built around a retina touchscreen, are based on the same 40mp Dalsa sensor with a great reputation for skintone, and have USB3 as well as FW800 connectivity.

Previous generation crop sensor CCD backs have included P40+, P30+, P21+, Aptus II 28, Aptus II 40 and others.

If you were coming to me asking about backs though I'd normally want to back you up for a second. You're asking a very specific question when I suspect you're looking for a more broadly framed answer, and I'd want to know what you're really after. Are you asking about crop sensors because you know they are (nearly always) less expensive or are you asking about them because you want the crop for one reason or another? If so the Credo 40 Special is really the best thing going right now in Phase/Mamiya crop-sensor land. I've been on the road all week and I'm not on the sales team (so I don't get constant updates) but I believe we still had one in stock at the promo price when I left on Sunday.

Also the question "best" isn't really meaningful without context on what you value and prioritize. I'd want to give you raw files and a feature demo (in person or via our remote demo studio) showing you the pros and cons of the relevant models to help figure out what is "best" (meaning what fits your specific needs the best).

For instance if you shoot all in-studio and don't need high ISO, and are on a budget then a refurbished and warrantied P40+ kit might make more sense for you. It has the same sensor as the Credo 40 or IQ140; just with a crappy LCD instead of a great LCD (arguably not essential for studio tethered shooting where you have a large monitor nearby anyway).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As Jeff summarized above the difference between the IQ1 and IQ2 series is a longer and more inclusive warranty, and WiFi review/control/editing. On the IQ260 vs IQ160 there is also the addition of long exposure.