The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HC 100mm f/2.2 with 1.7 or macro converter?

I used to use one with both a HTC (really nice) and a H26 macro. Take a look at my site, many of the older photos in the product section were taken with the H26 macro and 100 f2.2.

PS: I have an H26 macro adapter for sale for a lot less then brand new :)

Zerimar

I have only heard great things about using it with the 1.7X converter. It replaces the 150 f3.2 for some.

I haven't used the extension tube, but that may be a good alternative to the HC 120 if you do not have one.

The 100 f2.2 is my favorite lens on the system.

Dustbak

The 1.7 works very well with the HC100 and is a good substitute for the HC150, in most cases. Only with strong backlighting you will see the 1.7 with the HC100 loses contrast much more than the HC150.

The macro converter is a totally different piece of equipment basically only allowing you to focus closer. The macro converter with the new HC50 is really nice. I just started to discover it for product shots. It allows you to get really close but stull capture a lot including surroundings.

If you need to get close, the HC100 with rings is excellent. I often preferred it over the HC120.... Until I got the HC120II!

jmosier01

Thanks guys. Rick, I do have a 120 MK I and it's nice, but having used to own the MK II it's not quite as sharp. My primary lens now is the 100 f/2.2. I guess I'd almost rather have the 1.7 for added ready and maybe pickup a 26mm tube for close up work.

Cheers,
Jeff

Zerimar

I have a 120 Mk I and it's plenty sharp for my needs.. I typically shoot it f11-f16 in studio for beauty, and it's the sharpest lens I own for those purposes..

The only downsides is the size of it.. I only shoot beauty with it when using a Cambo UST camera stand. The 100 f2.2 is much more manageable, even with the 1.7x.

Chris Giles

I used the 100mm for portraits and it's lovely. For close up headshots though I found I needed the 13mm extension tube. This was very very good.

I'm moving over to Pentax so have this for sale here: My Hasselblad kit for sale

I have the 1.7x , 13mm extension tube, 100mm lens and the H4D50 body all on there.