The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HC 50mm Version I

jmosier01

Picked up a used one today and I'm impressed. Hard to imagine how much better the MK II is, though I'm sure it is. I'm really impressed with the sharpness of this lens.

Camera Info

H3D-22

HC 50
ISO 100
f/5
1/60th

The HC50 v1 is a bit soft wide open. Not very much, but more than the rest of the range between 80 and 300 mm.
Of course I´d like to have the better lens, but at the moment I can´t justify the price of an upgrade.

Best,

Bernd

jmosier01

Thanks wavecrestphoto. Bernd, I have a few images I took with the MKII when I spoke at ShootNYC a couple years ago and I just don't really see it. Granted I'm shooting on a 22MP back. I'm sure there's a much greater difference on the higher MP backs. But there's no way after having shot this lens for 2 days that I'd pay the difference to get the newer one. At least not with my current system. I do notice a bigger difference between the 120 MK1 and MKII.

Cheers,
Jeff

I have an H3D39 which shows the slight weakness of the HC50 v1.

I also have an HC150 v1 and I find it amazingly sharp wide open. Can´t imagine that there is a better one.

Best,

Bernd

Dustbak

The difference in the HC150 and the HC150N is the material used for the coating AFAIK the lens itself is the same so there hardly should not be any difference. The HC50v2 is optically different from the version 1. I have the 2 and used to have the 1, both excellent lenses but the 2 is better wide open. It is remarkable with the macro converter!

Having said that the HC50vs1 is a really nice lens too! But.... With the version 1 I always ended up using one of the zooms. Now, with the version II I prefer using the prime.