The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One A Series - A Roadtrip Diary

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The A Series represents the far end of the [simplicity vs. functionality] spectrum. In fact there is very little on the system that could be removed and still be called a camera (except the iPhone holder which I imagine many customers will remove). It is minimalism embodied. It is small enough to carry around with you, and eliminates LCC as a thing you have to spend any time or thought on. There is, as I wrote in the article, a real sort of freedom that comes with such simplicity.

On the other end of the spectrum I see the RM3Di as the embodiment of functionality. Rise/Fall/Shift built in natively for rear-only movement, tilt on every lens, high precision viewfinder, ultra precise helical, option for rotation without removal, built in rail mount for nodal point use, optional distometer built in and coupled with the helical, optional in-system electronic lenses with remote control, optional modular focal plane shutter, native inter-compatibility with a view camera line, and optional sliding ground glass.

There are many other good tech cameras in between, but those are, as I see it, the two extreme ends. In the same way that the A Series may be too reductive for some photographers it's inevitable that the RM3Di is too intimidating. My idea was that if you get through the article on the A Series and think "beautiful, elegant, sexy, minimilist, fun... but I need more controls and more functionality" then I wanted to introduce the other end of the spectrum.

I have made some edits based on the much appreciated feedback, especially at the end. Thanks for reading!

Shashin

I think the A series is very obviously a luxury product rather than a photo enthusiast product. It does look very special and luxurious and shot from a tripod you get wonderful pixel peeping, I think it will have an appeal on the typical luxury customer that thinks Leica is too mainstream.

If you're into tech cameras for real though you'd want movements. I've not understood why one would want to do handheld street photography with an Alpa TC, unless you already have a "real" Alpa body with movements and just have the TC as an extra.

But I guess there's not a law against liking tech cams without movements :)
Wow, that was really condescending.

But to answer your question about why use something like a TC for street photography because of the simplicity matched with the quality. A camera like this is very fast to shoot, quiet, and unobtrusive. Which is why the "new" Alpa is not really new--cameras like this have been produced for a really long time. For example: Ermanox - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

As for the TC being a technical camera, it is not. Not everyone wants a technical camera, even the so-called technical cameras built today--the original technical cameras were metal flat-bed view cameras, built by Linhof, Horseman, and Wista. Those were "real" technical cameras. Some folks are just looking for the optics and the back in a compact package and don't need movements.

torger

Yes, there sure must be an interest or else they wouldn't make the product. I'm being a bit categoric of course. I do think they will attract most interest from people wanting luxury rather than the utmost photographic tool, nothing wrong with that though.

The special thing here, unlike the older cameras of similar format, is that this produces resolution rivaling or even exceeding 4x5", and it costs, well, quite a lot. The lenses are designed for "large format" applications, ie small aperture with large image circles. It will be difficult to get all that sharpness in a hand-held shot with the shutter speeds required, but then at least you don't get aliasing. I don't think it's a discrete camera either, it looks special and will probably draw some attention.

A TC frame is a lot cheaper than a Leica M though, so it can be a nice option if you already have an Alpa system. And if the A series bundle actually had a rebate (ie would cost less than buying all parts separately, which it don't) it could be a good buy for one investing in an Alpa system.

And what's up with putting an iPhone on top? Couldn't they at least have a proper viewfinder, Alpa actually makes them. That would make the camera look a bit more serious to me. They could have it look like this:

(...and this version obviously also works without digital back battery and flash sync cable too, that's cool!)

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The special thing here, unlike the older cameras of similar format, is that this produces resolution rivaling or even exceeding 4x5", and it costs, well, quite a lot. The lenses are designed for "large format" applications, ie small aperture with large image circles. It will be difficult to get all that sharpness in a hand-held shot with the shutter speeds required, but then at least you don't get aliasing.
I found 1/60th to be enough with careful support and shooting technique and 1/125th to be enough shooting with a "normal" style. Given the IQ250 can shoot up to ISO6400 and the lens is beautifully sharp at f/5.6 (albeit with very shallow DOF when viewed at 100% resolution) maintaining a minimum hand holdable shutter speed was the least of my concerns. The lack of a mirror and the near-zero vibration from the shutter undoubtedly have a lot to do with that.

That's for 50mp with the 35mm where ISO100 is the base.

For the 80mp A Series with the 70mm lens where ISO35 is the base I would expect minimum hand-holdable shutter speed to become significantly more of a limitation. Then again, I think the 50mp is the appropriate choice for handheld/spontaneous shooting for several reasons.

torger

Yes the 50 sounds like the perfect match, as it has high ISO good for hand-holding and it also has live view, which can be nice if you don't get the viewfinder. I would surely get that viewfinder, I think Phase One should put it in the accessory list in the brochure (it's not there now).

jlm

Workshop Member
i gotta ask...but doug, are you holding the camera at arm's length and looking at the live view (chimping), then closing the shutter and shooting? all handheld? certainly doable, but seems like it would get clumsy fast.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
i gotta ask...but doug, are you holding the camera at arm's length and looking at the live view (chimping), then closing the shutter and shooting? all handheld? certainly doable, but seems like it would get clumsy fast.
Holding it around my belly button, shooting without live view, and reviewing the image on the iPhone which I have angled up toward my face for after-the-shot review.

Like I said in the article, it's more zen than exact science. It's Luke Skywalker blowing up the Death Star with his targeting computers off.

If you're looking for perfect framing or a 100% hit rate then it's very clumsy. If you're relaxing and "letting it happen" it's rather freeing. I wouldn't shoot a paid wedding with it, but carrying it on a wedding I was simply attending was rather enjoyable.