The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Fortitude ...

modator

Maybe it's about the new Hasselblad CEO,
the brand is taking care of making more appearance over tv and more advertising too..

Say that..

Today I've found that on the new blockbuster TV serie made by SKY Atlantic in iceland / north pole called "Fortitude"...

The actor (Michael Gambon) - photographer & bear hunter in this TV Serie is largely using Hasselblad camera's here's some shot from the preview...

H Camera With the HC 300mm f 4,5 ...

Hasselblad 503 CV maybe with CFV50c ??

H Camera, again with the HC 300 F4,5 , strangely hand holded....

In this image I find very hard to shoot too with heavy hand gloves hand holding the 300mm ... HERO !!

That's all...

Generally in many Telefilm and TV Series I've see they are using 35mm refex of the two popular brand..

I find it strange to see MF on such hard scenario...

Anyway good shot with H cameras Mr. Michael Gambon !!

jecxz

I have worked with my H and 300mm in extreme cold (as low as -19F degrees) and I can expertly testify that this photograph is ridiculous in so many ways!

1) It's extremely difficult to hand hold the 300mm and make a photograph worth anything (in perfect conditions!); considering the low/cloudly light he's working in, his exposure is probably f4.5 and 2-6 seconds!!!!

2) I wear gloves like that and to work the H (on my tripod) I have to remove one because the buttons are small!

3) Regarding the gun and H photo, I must admit, I laughed. So many thoughts came to mind: Does he expect to photograph an animal running? (I hope not!) The 300mm is the wrong lens after you kill your prey! If you're being chased by a polar big bear, I'd use the H with 300mm in self defense after I run out of bullets!!!

Thank you for posting this; it brightened my day while I sipped my tea!

Kind regards,
Derek

modator

.... I must admit, I laughed. So many thoughts came to mind: Does he expect to photograph an animal running? (I hope not!) The 300mm is the wrong lens after you kill your prey! If you're being chased by a polar big bear, I'd use the H with 300mm in self defense after I run out of bullets!!! ....
Derek
Me too !!

Derek, by who had experience in using the HC 300mm is a nonsense.

It is really really heavy, and using it in that way require an iron man....
maybe with the H5D-50c at ISO 6400 it's possible to shoot in this condition but definitely it's a form of advertising over a TV Serie !

jecxz

hey, it is TV, after all
I know, but it should at least get close to being accurate :)

Me too !!

Derek, by who had experience in using the HC 300mm is a nonsense.

It is really really heavy, and using it in that way require an iron man....
maybe with the H5D-50c at ISO 6400 it's possible to shoot in this condition but definitely it's a form of advertising over a TV Serie !
Iron man absolutely! Of course he might be making an abstract image, where focus is not required; we should consider that as a possibility. :angel:

Kind regards,
Derek

gazwas

I know, but it should at least get close to being accurate :)
But he wasn't actally taking pictures....... This is a TV show. :)

Great product placement for HB and refreshing to see it was an H camera rather than one of the fancy Sony cameras. Hopefully a sign HB has not given up on the H system in favour of jewelery.

Looks really cool to......

Last edited:

mmbma

Gambon looks miserable in the first two photos... maybe he's exhausted by the weight of the hassey

Stuart Richardson

I would assume that Hasselblad had little or nothing to do with this. The one professional camera store in this country is a Hasselblad and Phase One dealer, but mostly pushed Hasselblad bodies with Phase One backs in the early days. So of the advertising and professional photographers here that do have these kinds of cameras (only a few), most have Hasselblads. I assume that someone on set just asked the still photographer or one of the technical people involved in production to get a camera that looked big and professional for him to use in the filming...
I don't think it is very convincing to think that Hasselblad, with all their troubles these days, would seek out a TV show to place an extremely niche product.