The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV 50c vs Credo 50/40?

torger

LV is not accessible on 501CM, but there is an option for focus checking.
Huh? That sound really strange... you mean you can have live view when mounted to a tech camera like the Alpa, but no live view when mounted on a V body?

If so that sounds like a huge mistake from Hasselblad, it could be a show stopper for some... but it could be that they don't want the CFV-50c to have too many features of the much more expensive H5D-50c, and having tech cam as some sort of exception. Or it's just some firmware bug they haven't fixed yet...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Howdy Erik,
LV is not accessible on 501CM, but there is an option for focus checking .
Darr

According to the CFV-50c data sheet , LV view is available on rear display .
Allows for accurate focusing .
That seems to be the focus checking function you mention .
Now as the H5D-50c has WiFi , I assume we will see WiFi in the CFV-50c as well soon . I can't see why this would not be possible , as this will be independent of the camera .

Regards Jürgen

yaya

Hi all,

First off, I'm not a professional photographer. I take pictures for pleasure, and a substantial part of that is spending the time setting up and framing shots. That's why life never was better than when I had my CFV 16MP back, I was very happy with it, apart from the crappy low light performance. Then it died. That's two years ago now, and I've started shooting film again with my Hasselblad, developing my own C41/E6/B&W. Other than the latter type, this is messy, and expensive, and messy. And the results are not immediate.

So I bought what my budget allowed, and I got a Canon 5D MkIII with a few nice lenses. But that's just not working for me. I can't shoot with a tiny viewfinder.

Thus my decision to sell all of that gear, and bite the bullet, spend the money on a new digital back for my wonderful collection of V system Hasselblad lenses and bodies.

I've thus far essentially whittled it down to the CFV 50c (which is my preferred choice given my past history with their backs, and the negative experiences I've had with a PhaseOne that the salespeople so desperately were trying to push on me), then there's the Credo 50 which is almost twice the price, and the Credo 40, which 2/3rds the price, but also is just 40MP.

My quest for hands on reviews thus far has been met with mostly no results, in other forums (e.g. LL) there appears to be mostly a sales spiel being played by PhaseOne proponents, but nobody ever really seems to have first hand experience. To quote from a personal message I got on LL: the 50c makes wonderful pictures (as do all Sony chips - at least that was the inference), but the workflow is slow and outdated. That comes from someone who by their own admission has never held one or tried one.

Can anyone here with first hand experience of a comparative nature comment on my predicament?

Cheers

- Balt
Happy to provide first hand Credo experience (naturally...) and if needed to help getting one in your hands for testing and evaluation...

BR

Yair

jlm

Workshop Member
live view works for my 205fcc; you have to set the shutter(s) to bulb and hold them open then turn on live view on the back

darr

live view works for my 205fcc; you have to set the shutter(s) to bulb and hold them open then turn on live view on the back
Live View Works on 501CM
Sorry about that and thank you John!

Live View (LV) works when you set the lens to 'B', hold the shutter release button in, and press LV button. LV was implemented after the 50c hit the market so that is probably why the steps above are not in the instructions manual.

Focus Check has worked well enough for me for the small amount of shooting I have done thus far with the 501CM. I purchased this back to use 90% of the time with my ALPA cameras, so not a whole lot of experience yet with the 501CM + 50c.

darr

Huh? That sound really strange... you mean you can have live view when mounted to a tech camera like the Alpa, but no live view when mounted on a V body?

If so that sounds like a huge mistake from Hasselblad, it could be a show stopper for some... but it could be that they don't want the CFV-50c to have too many features of the much more expensive H5D-50c, and having tech cam as some sort of exception. Or it's just some firmware bug they haven't fixed yet...
[Highlight]EDIT: Live View is Accessible on the 501CM: set lens to "B", hold shutter release button in, and press LV button.[/Highlight]

darr

Darr

According to the CFV-50c data sheet , LV view is available on rear display .
Allows for accurate focusing .
That seems to be the focus checking function you mention .
Now as the H5D-50c has WiFi , I assume we will see WiFi in the CFV-50c as well soon . I can't see why this would not be possible , as this will be independent of the camera .

Regards Jürgen
[Highlight]EDIT: Live View is Accessible on the 501CM: set lens to "B", hold shutter release button in, and press LV button.[/Highlight]

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Darr

My desire for a CFV-50c is getting stronger and stronger but my gear wallet is currently empty . Waiting for WiFi to be implemented . Haha , good excuse .:ROTFL:

kdphotography

Darr, I hope this means you're excited about using Live View on your 501CM...:ROTFL:

Congratulations on your new MFDB!

ken

darr

Darr

My desire for a CFV-50c is getting stronger and stronger but my gear wallet is currently empty . Waiting for WiFi to be implemented . Haha , good excuse .:ROTFL:
Jürgen,
I was only able to spring for it because I started saving for a new back about two years ago. Coming from 4x5", we already have the MFD tech cam shooting technique via ground glass down pat, but when I saw the possibilities with the IQ250, I knew I was going to be buying a new back soon. I too have no need for WIFI, so that would be an excellent excuse for me as well. :chug:

Kind regards,
Darr

Last edited:

darr

Darr, I hope this means you're excited about using Live View on your 501CM...:ROTFL:

Congratulations on your new MFDB!

ken
Ken,

I always appreciate your sense of humor!! :ROTFL:
I will try to remember I have LV with the 501, but no guarantee I'll use it.

This back is wonderful with the tech cams!!

Kind regards,
Darr

jlm

Workshop Member
since the 500/200 cameras are SLR's, live view is not so important.

it is useful with a tech cam and the 903SWC however, and eseential with something like the Cambo Actus, where there are no focusing helicoids, distance scales, etc. on the lenses

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I think , I will leave the forum (for today) before I will sell my car to pick up the money for the CFV-50c .:salute:

jlm

Workshop Member
nasty winter day, wet snow, grey. from around the navy yard; 2 shot pano with 40mm in vertical

Last edited:

Uaiomex

I still remember the Hasselblad brochure with the drawings of a male photographer holding the camera in various positions: Arms up and camera upside down, squatting with the camera almost a floor level, etc. Of course always making full use of the waist-level finder.

That brochure sold me out back in the 80's.
Contrary to many, I believe the V cameras are immensely handicapped with an only-horizontal sensor.

Can't help it. If I have to use a "vintage" WLF boxy camera in a dslr fashion, I'd rather get a totally modern, weather-proof 645Z. For the price of one back I can buy the Pentax with a couple of good lenses.

But as I said before in other posts, I still keep my fingers crossed waiting for Hasselblad to finally come to their senses.
So far, it's been a long and repeating disheartening wait.
If there's life, there's hope, even for Hasselblad.

Eduardo

the kind of guy who shoots these cameras, c.1974