The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Copal Shutter Operation/Care - Tips N Tricks

Steve Hendrix

In 2010, CI published an article warning about the practice of setting shutter speeds on Copal Shutters with the shutter already cocked. I thought it would be a good idea to refresh the article and bring it forward as a current reference.

https://captureintegration.com/copal-shutter-repairs-on-the-rise-updated/

There's lots of other tips that users can also provide to minimize repairs and failures, would love to see these practices published so users can avoid these potentially expensive repairs and the unexpected photographic show stopper that is a shutter failure.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Pemihan

Thanks Steve, I remember the original article but it is always nice to be reminded about it.

Peter

jianghai

Great reminder. I'm not old at all but that's one thing that I've definitely retained from my experienced in LF. Now if only I could afford one of these tech cams you speak of.

weinlamm

I had read, that never change the speed-time after loaded.
I know, I had done this sometimes in the past... :rolleyes: I hope, I will keep this in mind...

Thanks for the hint! :thumbup:

Dogs857

I am relatively new to the copal world so this kind of advice is very welcomed by me.
I had heard this in the past and try really hard to make sure cocking the shutter is the last thing I do. I have made mistakes before when the lens went back into the bag cocked (for reasons that escape me now). So first thing in my workflow now is to check the shutter is activated before I do anything else.