The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1P 8.1 & Focus Meter

jagsiva

So got around to trying this today with the newest fw for my IQ180. it is a great concept. You mark up to 3 zones in the frame and as you play with focus and tilt, you can see via dynamic orange indicators around each zone how the focus is doing.

Before I go try to wing this in Death Valley next week, anyone else try it? Any tips or traps I should look for?

I did search the forum, but looks like most people gave up as the fw at the time of the C1 release for IQ1xx did not support it.

Thanks for any help.

Chris Valites

Be aware that you may want to change the color of the focus mask depending on what you're shooting. That light green can be hard to see on lighter tones! You can adjust the focus mask color in the preferences tab as shown below:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So got around to trying this today with the newest fw for my IQ180. it is a great concept. You mark up to 3 zones in the frame and as you play with focus and tilt, you can see via dynamic orange indicators around each zone how the focus is doing.

Before I go try to wing this in Death Valley next week, anyone else try it? Any tips or traps I should look for?

I did search the forum, but looks like most people gave up as the fw at the time of the C1 release for IQ1xx did not support it.

Thanks for any help.
Use the highest position on the live view quality slider.
Start moderately out of focus.
Slowly move toward focus, and continue moving past it.
Once you've definitively passed peak focus move back toward focus and use the high water mark to determine when you're at peak focus again.

Works great for copy stands and tripod still life - the two applications I've used it for. Works more quickly for a Credo 50, IQ150, IQ250 since live view is so much faster on those.

Each time you make a change remove your hand from the lens/body so you're not touching it, since even a slight amount of vibration from your hand affects the image.

jagsiva

Be aware that you may want to change the color of the focus mask depending on what you're shooting. That light green can be hard to see on lighter tones! You can adjust the focus mask color in the preferences tab as shown below:

Thanks, I have mine set to a nice awful looking purple already :)

But the mask only works post-shot. The new implementation of focus points is in LV, so looking for any experience people can share on this. It is the closest to a LV focus mask so far. It also allows you to pick up to 3 zones that are relevant for the particular shot.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You're referring to the Focus Mask.

He's asking about the Focus Meter.

Of course, I have a head cold and can barely focus period! :(

jagsiva

You're referring to the Focus Mask.

He's asking about the Focus Meter.

Of course, I have a head cold and can barely focus period! :(
Sounds like you need a Scotch, of course given discussions around here of late, we could get into single-malts vs. blended :D Feel better soon.

Chris Valites

I always like to use both; the live view focus can only be enhanced with the mask afterwards. It also makes up for any signal loss in the live view video (although as was said, the Credo 50 and IQ250 are excellent for their live view and not as painful as some of the older CCD backs (especially in the sun, urk.))

Definitely make sure you've got no vibration in the image once you get the live view going and you want to check focus; that will indeed get you the best image to preview from and the most accurate results.