The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommendation of a good tele

rayyen

I'm looking for a good tele for MFD setup. The longest I have right now is 120, I'm looking for range between 180-210, any good recommendation?
Many thanks!
Ray

torger

I have the SK180, it's fine. The SK210 is no longer manufactured but there might be some leftover stock somewhere. The SK210 is considerably larger than the 180, so the 180 is probably more practical.

I have some test shots from a P65+ using a number of different old-school analog teles, usable but you're clearly compromising quality then compared to digital lenses.

From practical reasons it's often hard to make sharp pictures with tele, due to atmospheric issues, or having to stop down for DoF etc, but the lens itself is sharp. I use the SK180 quite often, my next below is the SK120.

The only other real alternative I see is the Digaron-S 180, which probably is a little bit sharper, as it has a smaller image circle is more expensive and has more glass, it should mean something. I find it unlikely that you would find the SK180 to be too soft though.

vonalpen

Hi Ray
I second torgers comment: I like the SK 180mm on the ALPA a lot, it's perfectly allright even with the IQ180.
Before buying it in 2009, I was able to compare it to the Rodenstock Digaron-S 180mm, directly with ALPA in Zürich, on my P45+ at that time.
I didn't find any difference in sharpness and contrast and opted for the SK because it focusses down to 2,2m, the Rodenstock to 4m only.

Good luck!

Shashin

Why stop at 800mm? Nikon made the Nikkor-T 1200mm f/18 for large format cameras. I am thinking getting a helicoid focuser for that to match an Alpa might be a bit tricky, but if you have the money...

beano_z

I'm just wondering what kind of viewfinders you guys use with the 180 or the 210 lenses? Seems the standard ALPA finder is way too wide to be useful and even the iPhone would struggle.

Also, there seems to be very limited sample images available of both lenses, any chance any of you could post some?

Pemihan

I'm just wondering what kind of viewfinders you guys use with the 180 or the 210 lenses? Seems the standard ALPA finder is way too wide to be useful and even the iPhone would struggle.

Also, there seems to be very limited sample images available of both lenses, any chance any of you could post some?
I have the SK120 and SK150 and simply use the viewfinder mask for the 120 knowing that the frame is somewhat smaller.

Peter

rayyen

You can try the Viewfinder II app available for iOS device. It's a really handy apps for Tech cam users.

Ray

rayyen

Thanks for friends here recommendation, I guess I'll find a 180 or 210, but like a friend here said, the usage of this "tele" may comparatively low, depends on clarity of the sky...

beano_z

You can try the Viewfinder II app available for iOS device. It's a really handy apps for Tech cam users.

Ray
Thanks Ray, I've been given the same suggestion from another member here, guess that's the most convenient option.

Look forward to your shots after you get the 180 or 210 :D

Pemihan

Can anyone tell me what's the widest (4/3 aspect ratio) the Viewfinder II app can simulate? Without wide angle converter that is..

jlm

Workshop Member
my iPhone camera hits the wall at about 38mm using a cfv50c back (1.3 crop) when i was using the q160, i think it was about 45mm.

the app i use is viewfinder pro/MarkII, iPhone 6+