The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC Help

0beone

Good day folks,
I am new here and after several years monitoring this site decided to join.
Recently retired I am beginning to find my feet in doing what I have loved since my teenage years. I have always had what I regarded as excellent camera equipment from the simple Pentax MX to Bronica ETRS and SK lenses now to DF+, Cambo WRS, Credo 40 and SK lenses. I use C1-8 for post.
My question today centres around the use of LCC profiles.
Is it common to create a standard set say for instance L5, L10, L15 - R5, R10, R15 for each lens and apply as appropriate, or is it really necessary to create LCC under the actual shooting conditions at the time?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated
Regards
Frank

Dogs857

G'Day Obeone.

Welcome to getdpi.

I find it far easier to take LCC at the time of shooting, that way I don't have to remember or write down my camera settings. I set the camera up, take an LCC (or 3 if I am flat stitching) and then shoot away. If I change camera settings I take another LCC and then keep going. The LCC doesn't really care about shutter speed, but it does care about movements. If you change your movements or aperture then take another LCC.

Having a bank of LCC files has its merit, but you would need to keep detailed notes whilst shooting. If you take a number of images and then adjust your rise or shift then you need to know exactly when that happened.

0beone

Thanks Dogs,
Kind of what I thought however user experience is always invaluable..
Thanks and regards

Paul2660

I would try to always take the LCC at the rime I'd the shoot. There are times I have been able to use an LCC from a different shoot on a shot but not always. It's a pain and does add time to a shoot but it seems to work the best.

This does go against the method that Phase One is now using with the A series of cameras where the stock LCC is being applied in the camera. You don't have to take the LCC frame.

Paul

jagsiva

I use both methods, but prefer to do it at the time the shot was taken. This takes care of dust, and arguably is more accurate since some movements are difficult to be exact with.

There are times when LCC during capture is feasible. Usually when I am in a rush due to sense/sunrise or if the exposure for LCC will be too long, then I do it later or use one from my library.

0beone

Thank you everyone, seems that apart from needing to take an LCC shot there is no right or wrong way to apply it. I think I will just have to get used to taking it at the time wherever possible.

Will post some pics from a brief visit to New Zealand in the next couple of days and look forward to your comments.

Frank

Chris Valites

The greatest advantage of contemporaneous LCC capture - dust removal!

--Matt
I am FULLY on board with this. Having come from the days of editing dust out of scanned files... good lord does dust removal help!

This may have been just flare or something unrelated, but I had a shoot on the top of Mount Kearsarge where I didn't shoot LCCs on location. I tried to shoot them afterwards with a flat light surface, but was still experiencing a magenta shift across the image. Imagined or not, this has kept me shooting LCCs at the moment of exposure since. It's not that hard for me with the landscape work, really, so I ever say I'd recommend against it.