The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Pano's

fotophil

A question for Jack:
I would like to replace the ACRA QR Clamp on my Cube. THe CUbe is wonderful but the QR Clamp is scary!! Is the bolt holding the QR Clamp to the Cube Body set with thread sealant? What is the thread size of the bolt? Will the RRS B2-Pro II clamp with Metric 6 screw fit the ARCA Cube? Thanks for guiding me to purchasing the Cube -I LOVE IT!!!!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A question for Jack:
I would like to replace the ACRA QR Clamp on my Cube. THe CUbe is wonderful but the QR Clamp is scary!! Is the bolt holding the QR Clamp to the Cube Body set with thread sealant? What is the thread size of the bolt? Will the RRS B2-Pro II clamp with Metric 6 screw fit the ARCA Cube? Thanks for guiding me to purchasing the Cube -I LOVE IT!!!!!
Yes, the stock clamp basically sucks. I like screw clamps too and the RRS B2 Pro II is what I have on mine, the standaqrd version for Arca and RRS heads is a perfect fit :) You may need a thinner than normal socket to get the factory bolt off, though my deep metric socket did fine.

fotophil

Another Question for Jack:

My deep socket fit the ARCA Bolt and it is a 6 x 1.00 metric thread just like the RRS Unit. The ARCA QR Clamp has a milled slot which mates to the Cube. The RRS catalog shows a bottom view of their metric clamp which appears to have a slot similar to that of the ARCA Clamp. Is that correct?

jlm

Workshop Member
i just put a RRS B2-Pro II on my cube. it fits perfectly...it has a groove to match the cube "fin" and the supplied screw, though long, works fine. the screw clamp knob is sufficiently offset to clear the cube pan clamp as well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Another Question for Jack:

My deep socket fit the ARCA Bolt and it is a 6 x 1.00 metric thread just like the RRS Unit. The ARCA QR Clamp has a milled slot which mates to the Cube. The RRS catalog shows a bottom view of their metric clamp which appears to have a slot similar to that of the ARCA Clamp. Is that correct?
Yes, it has the slot and is an exact fit for the Arca Cube.

:),

woodyspedden

After having my RRS B55 QR clamp pop open and drop a 1DSMkII on its head in the parking lot at Arches National Park I resolved never again to use one. The screw types are very simple to use and way more safe. I guess there may be those who switch bodies often or go from horizontal to vertical framing often but i am not one of those.

Just some thoughts

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody I almost blew it on the workshop TWICE for not screwing the clamp down enough. Both times i caught the camera strap. Call me one damn lucky SOB that is for sure, the camera God's smiled on me. But I agree the clamp screw is the best way.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One of the downsides for the new RRS L bracket for the Mamiya is that the actual dovetail base portions are square so they can be inserted in either direction. Unfortunately, this also means it's relatively easy to get the base caught slightly skewed in the clamp and unless you wiggle the camera as you tighten, you inadvertently tighten at a slight angle. As the camera shifts to true in use, the clamping action is lost and the camera is free to slide out of the clamp.

Moral: Wiggle while tightening regardless of plate or clamp style!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Even though I prefer the screw clamps, this is one instance where the levers have a slight edge.
The Arca lever, if properly adjusted, just won't easily close if the base is skewed a bit.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

One of the downsides for the new RRS L bracket for the Mamiya is that the actual dovetail base portions are square so they can be inserted in either direction. Unfortunately, this also means it's relatively easy to get the base caught slightly skewed in the clamp and unless you wiggle the camera as you tighten, you inadvertently tighten at a slight angle. As the camera shifts to true in use, the clamping action is lost and the camera is free to slide out of the clamp.

Moral: Wiggle while tightening regardless of plate or clamp style!
Exactly what happened to me

woodyspedden

Woody I almost blew it on the workshop TWICE for not screwing the clamp down enough. Both times i caught the camera strap. Call me one damn lucky SOB that is for sure, the camera God's smiled on me. But I agree the clamp screw is the best way.
Guy

Man I tell you that this kind of accident is beyond the scope of reasonalness. When the camera finally hits the ground and you realize that you are sc..@$#d, you finally get the hint. No more stuff!!! LOL

It has happened to me and obviously to you. No more so long as I can have more room to grow. It has finally happened to me and you. God bless

Woody

Don Libby

I had the entire top of my tripod fall off as I was walking back to the car when I was at a beach shot. Camera, lens, back and a portion of the tripod all went sailing into the sand! Everything turned out okay with the exception of the cable release extension that was just ripped apart.

I've got the clamping mechanism turned tight enough so that it's a solid feel when I place the camera on the Cube. I now also carry a small tool to check the bolt on my tripod and have been thinking of maybe doing a slight welding job as I really don't ever see a need to take my tripod apart.

I was luck it fell on soft sand vs. something hard like my head

I just decided to look into RRS for a possible replacement head after I get back home

Don

Guy Mancuso

Honestly I use a Hassy hand strap on my Phase body but still keep a neck strap attached for these very reasons. It saved me twice in the same week and I also when throwing the tripod on my shoulder with camera grab that strap too just in case of such things. It really is a pain to have it on the body with the hand strap but obviously it saved my bacon more than once. Bottom line we are thinking image when in the field and even after all these years some things slip by you. Besides that age does not help either as we get older. We just need to learn to accept that fact as much as we all fight the age issue.

Don Libby

I just burst out laughing and Sandy came in with that look on her face. Too funny and somehow very painful

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Don

PeterA

Quick question guys. Do you find the nodal point of the lens in your panos using a slider, and;

supplemetary question: is there a neat way to use the Cube for this work.

t@
pete

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Pete:

Yes I use a slider -- just a simple RRS rail with screw clamp. As for the Cube, it is the same as any other panning head and sliding rail combo to set up; in that respect the Cube is not special other than the panning head portion (separate from its panning base) is built into it.