The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sandisk Extreme 32 GB 120 / 160 MB/s for IQ1 backs?

Pemihan

I'm looking to get some faster CF cards for my IQ160.

Has anyone tried the Sandisk Extreme 32 GB 120 MB/s cards for IQ1 backs?
SanDisk 32 GB Extreme CompactFlash Memory Card SDCFXS-032G-A46

They are not on the supported list from P1, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't work:
Knowledge base for Phase One and Mamiya Leaf users

Ohh, there's also the Extreme Pro 32 GB 160 MB/s:
SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro CompactFlash Memory SDCFXPS-032G-A46

I would like the fastest cards I can get that I know will work...

Peter

Pemihan

Re: Sandisk Extreme 32 GB 120 MB/s for IQ1 backs?

By the way anyone know what's the fastest the IQ1 backs can read/write?

I use this, since it's not expensive anyway, but people laugh at me asking whether I'm shooting JPEG when they see that I have space for 1.8k shots remaining on my IQ250.

Pemihan

I use this, since it's not expensive anyway, but people laugh at me asking whether I'm shooting JPEG when they see that I have space for 1.8k shots remaining on my IQ250.
Thanks Void..

I prefer to use smaller capacity cards though as I use them as a fourth backup when they are full (also have the images on my laptop + two external drives) and also for the "not all eggs in the same basket" rule.

32 gigs have worked for me but maybe I should get 64 gigs instead when I upgrade.

I take it you haven't had any issues with the 160 BG/s cards in the IQ250?

Peter

No issues at all, except that the digital back scans the card for a bit longer at boot-up when compared against the Lexar 16GB 1066x (due to larger capacity, as the Lexar is also rated at 160MB/s).

I prefer larger cards as for me it is more risky to swap cards in the field. I back-up any new photos in the card each day to my laptop so the risk of losing photos is very low for me to worry about. On the other hand I lost a 8GB CF card and the photos in it when I was swapping it out in the field - it ejected out of the Phase One digital back and fell off a cliff. After that I always only use a single large card to avoid any swapping operation.

Pemihan

I prefer larger cards as for me it is more risky to swap cards in the field. I back-up any new photos in the card each day to my laptop so the risk of losing photos is very low for me to worry about. On the other hand I lost a 8GB CF card and the photos in it when I was swapping it out in the field - it ejected out of the Phase One digital back and fell off a cliff. After that I always only use a single large card to avoid any swapping operation.
That is of course also a consideration :D

kdphotography

Peter, I use the Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro CF cards (160MB/s) cards you linked to on my IQ180. They work great, and yes, I can tell the difference with older Sandisk cards. I know Don Libby uses both the 32GB and the 64GB versions without issue. For my work, 16GB and 32GB are the sweet spot for memory size.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "all in one basket eggs" type thinking. I think it is more of a concern to think about the conditions (dust, rain) you may be shooting in---that having a larger card and not having to change it out is better. You are probably more apt to lose a CF card (having a handful in a pocket or bag) than knowing it is secure inside your MFDB.

ken

p.s. And the top-line Sandisks are relatively inexpensive---remember when a 1GB Microdrives cost a couple hundred dollars? :eek:

Paul2660

I have a 64 and several 32 extreme pros with my 260, no problems. I have had some problems reading them from a older Lexar card reader, USB3, rev1.1 Reading very slow, upgraded the the reader, rev 3.1 or so and no problems.

Paul

Don Libby

I know Don Libby uses both the 32GB and the 64GB versions without issue. /QUOTE]

Peter, Ken is correct, I began using both the 32 and 64 while I was still shooting on a IQ160 and had no problems whatsoever in all the time I've had them which is well over a year now.

Don

By the way I believe SandDisk is located in PHX! Maybe a trip there after you visit REI?

Pemihan

Thanks guys!
Sounds like it's a no brainer...

Don, yes maybe a trip to Sandisk is in order after I buy your GG and Guy buy my IQ250 (no ski mask)
How many 64 gig Extreme Pro 160 MB/s can I get for an IQ250? (after I have bought $50 worth of freeze-dried food at REI)

Chris Valites

Thanks guys!
Sounds like it's a no brainer...

Don, yes maybe a trip to Sandisk is in order after I buy your GG and Guy buy my IQ250 (no ski mask)
How many 64 gig Extreme Pro 160 MB/s can I get for an IQ250? (after I have bought $50 worth of freeze-dried food at REI)
Hey Peter,

Just jumping in here to add some fun info:

According to Phase One, the read write speed really doesn't matter of your cards until you fill up the buffer. As the buffer is typically 1GB on an IQ back, and the 160 shoots 60MB raw files at 0.7 frames per second, you're looking at wanting to get a card that's specced to at least write faster than the file size. By my art-school degree math, that means you'd likely never hit the buffer if you had something that wrote 80 mb/s or faster.

And get me some of that freeze dried food! There's no REI in NH :(

Pemihan

Hey Peter,

Just jumping in here to add some fun info:

According to Phase One, the read write speed really doesn't matter of your cards until you fill up the buffer. As the buffer is typically 1GB on an IQ back, and the 160 shoots 60MB raw files at 0.7 frames per second, you're looking at wanting to get a card that's specced to at least write faster than the file size. By my art-school degree math, that means you'd likely never hit the buffer if you had something that wrote 80 mb/s or faster.

And get me some of that freeze dried food! There's no REI in NH :(

Thanks Chris,

My main reason for wanting faster cards is to speed up the 100% focus check...

Regarding REI, you do know they ship as well :)
And the freeze dried food weigh next to nothing...