The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many camera "systems" do you maintain?

Shashin

Pradeep, the excitement comes from the images, not the gear. I certainly have been fortunate to have great gear, but it is the images that keeps me working. And in that regard, I have great anticipation for the future.

Pradeep

Pradeep, the excitement comes from the images, not the gear. I certainly have been fortunate to have great gear, but it is the images that keeps me working. And in that regard, I have great anticipation for the future.
True, but if you've never had something like a Leica in your hands, and have always wondered about it, and then when you hold it the first time, it is indeed a magical moment. Yes, the honeymoon may not last long, but that's another story.

Life is about experiences and the journey, not so much about what gets you there, I agree. However, if you've just bought the best car/camera/television etc that money can buy, then what else is there to look forward to?

Once you've bought an S-500, your next car may not be that exciting any more (unless you've got the means to get a Lamborghini). That's what I meant.

Sorry, I've caused major thread drift I am sure, so will not talk about this any more.

Shashin

Predeep, it is rather a tradition around here to get off topic. Usually that happens by the end of the third post. ;)

I think it is a good topic and you raised an interesting question. Certainly the gear has a tactile quality that most photographers find rewarding. Unless you become a collector, not common around here ;) , I think the magic of photography is what carries you forward. Actually, I have found if you find that "perfect" camera, that magic of that camera never really dissipates. Lots of folks comment on how expensive this stuff is, but I have found in the long run that one expensive camera is cheaper than buying ten cheap cameras that don't quite work.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow! All of you pros. I am envious as hell of all the fun you guys must have had with these awesome cameras in the good old film days.

Growing up, I could only dream of ever owning a Leica. I remember when I bought my M9, it was a truly surreal moment, opening the box, as if there was a sacred relic inside.

The problem with getting good stuff is that there is little anticipation left for the future.
Are you kidding the Pros are the poorest of the bunch. Trust me. Lol

Godfrey

Wow! All of you pros. I am envious as hell of all the fun you guys must have had with these awesome cameras in the good old film days.

Growing up, I could only dream of ever owning a Leica. I remember when I bought my M9, it was a truly surreal moment, opening the box, as if there was a sacred relic inside.

The problem with getting good stuff is that there is little anticipation left for the future.
When I was twelve, my father had a Leica IIIf.
My grandfather had a Leica M3 and a Rolleiflex.
My two uncles had Exactas and Nikons.
My grandfather loaned me the Rolleiflex.
I was learning photography with my Minolta 16-Ps, my mother's Argus C3 and Kodak Retina IIIb.
A year later, I bought a Nikon F.
A bit after that, I bought two old, beat up Leica IIs.
I've worked with 6x6, SLR, and RF side by side for the past 48 years.

Each type of camera sees differently, works differently in the hand. Cameras don't adapt; humans do. Accept the differences and pursue your vision in the context of what the camera sees. Remember always that they are machines, not sacred objects of desire.

The photos are the important part.

G

jianghai

135mm Format Digital:
1) Canon 1D (12 Micron Pixels CCD Sensor)
2) Kodak 14n
3) Leica DMR
4) Sinar M/Nikon Module/Sinar 43H (Full Frame 6 Megapixels 12 Micron Pixels)

135mm Format Film:
1) Contax N1
2) Leica M3 SS
3) Leica R6.2
4) Leica R8 Black
5) Leica R8 Chrome (2)
6) Leica R9 Anthracite (2)
7) Nikon F6

Medium Format Camera with Integrated Digital Sensor;
1) Leica S2

Medium Format Technical Camera:
1) ALPA (Eventually)
2) Cambo (working on acquiring one)
3) Rollei X-Act2

645 Medium Format: I prefer camera that can shoot film and digital back.
1) Contax 645/P25/CF-39
2) Hasselblad H2/IQ160
3) Hasselblad H2D-39
4) Hasselblad H3DII-31
5) Mamiya 645 AFDIII/P25+
6) Phase One DF/P25+ (2nd Copy; if I wrote it again it means another copy)
7) Phase One DF/CF-39
8) Phase One DF (backup of backup)
9) Sinar M AF (full set of Zeiss Auto focus lens with 6 Sinar m shutters as backup)

6x6 Medium Format:
1) Hasselblad 202FA/E12CC
2) Hasselblad 205FCC/E12CC
3) Hasselblad 205FCC/E12CC
4) Hasselblad 2000FC/M/A12 Gold Anniversary
5) Hasselblad 500CM/A12 Gold Anniversary
6) Hasselblad 501CM Rudy Red/CFV-16 Anniversary
7) Hasselblad 503CW Black/P25
8) Hasselblad 503CWD/CFV-16 II (1st copy)
9) Hasselblad 503CWD/CFV-16 II (2nd copy)
10) Hasselblad 503CWD/CFV-16 II (3rd copy)
11) Hasselblad 903SWC/A12N
12) Rollei 6001
13) Rollei 6006
14) Rollei SL66 SE Anniversary

Medium Format 6x8:
1) Fuji GX680 III

Large Format:
1) Linhof 617 III
2) Linhof Master Technika with Hall of Fame lens collection
3) Polaroid Land Camera Converted to 4x5 Film
4) Sinar P2 4x5
5) Sinar P2 8x10
2 Questions:

a) (repeated) Are your cameras insured on an insurance policy?
b) if so, care to PM me your address? :ROTFL:

archivue

i've just sold my hasselblad stuff (503CW, 501CM)
My arca 8x10 as well

i just keep what i use...

RM3D + 28 - 35 - 45 - 55 - 72 - 90 - 120M - 135 - 180
Aptus II 7 / DM33
Aptus 22

DF Mamiya and 35 - 55 - 80 - 120M - 150

Nikon D800 and 35 ART 50 ART 70/200 4IS

By the way, my files coming from my Aptus have really improve over time, thank to Capture One 5 / 6 / 7 / 8.1...

I hope, i will buy a back that can handle longer exposure sometimes... IQ260... Or maybe i will buy a P45+ sometimes and wait for the next generation CMOS ! I've tried the hasselblad cmos and was impress by the live view but didn't like the output using a technical camera.

Pudintane2

First post. Been a visitor for 5+Yrs. Posting now so you get to know me because I have been fighting off the urge to sell my equipment for the last 3 years. Time is almost ripe. Turned 80 this year. Just do kids sporting events, birthdays etc. Kids and grandchildren not interested in anything more than the I-Phone. Probably smart. They send anything print worthy to me and frankly I-Photo does just fine for them for editing.
Sooo, now to the topic. I still have my first good camera, Kodak 35, purchased at age 16 ( still works ), Nikon F,( Purchased in US Army PX in Saigon 1966 after a war news photographer lost his gear and asked for my Pentax Spotmatic), Nikkormat, Leica M2 and M4-2, Leica R4 and R4 MOT ( latter still in original box, unused ). Purchased in St. Moritz after my 5 day old R4 electrocuted itself late in the day in Saalsburg, but Swiss Leica had it waiting for me at my next hotel 2 days later so never used backup. Also have a Hassy 500 C and 2 Minolta CLs. Digital is Nikon d90. Recently bought a Sony A6000 to use my legacy glass, but returned it when my 50 Lux showed a huge amount of CA ( tho the Minolta 40 did not----go figure----probably Lux not sufficiently coated )
Auditioned a Nikon DF to use my many pre AI lenses, but indoor focus was insufficient. Oddly, I had no problem with focusing the D750 manually. Just do not want to convert all my lenses at this point in my life. Also have an Oly om1 but film advance lever stopped working.
Nuff said.

PSon

I forgot to put on the list one of my favorite 503CW version. I love the mechanic of the 500 series cameras. I wish the 200 series lens would work on them. However, the 205FCC spot zone meter is also a very accurate and reliable system that never fail on me when I was a pro. The 205FCC and the 200 series lens remain one of my favorite system of all time. Later on the Contax 645 system came out and their lens functionality reminded me a lot of the Hasselblad 200 series lens and thus it was a new system to add but to never subtract the 205FCC system. Lastly, all my system are used despite some of them are anniversary. Just in MHO I believe it is important to keep an open mind for different systems to help your learning and to stimulate innovation and inspire creativity.

6x6 Medium Format:
15) Hasselblad 503CW Gold Supreme Kit.

Light is also important to go with all the camera systems:
1) Broncolor system
2) Profoto system (working on)

Last edited:

MaxKißler

Ok, here we go. :)

35mm:
-Leica M9 / black
-Leica M2 / in totally used condition, scratches and dents everywhere, the leather is almost completely gone
-CV 15mm f/4,5
-CV 35mm f/2,5
-50mm Summicron II

MF:
-Hasselblad H2
-FilmBack
-Phase One P30+
-HC 80mm

Light:
-Cononmark Ak4.0
-Broncolor Mobil A2R with Mobilite 2
-several Broncolor Universalleuchten

Wish list (in order of importance):
-HC 35mm
-HC 150mm
-P65+
-HTS 1.5
-H5X
-HC 24mm
-Grafit A2

Lately I'm often wondering whether it'd be wise to simply sell off the Leica gear and go for a D810 with appropriate lenses. I'm just too sure that I'm going to regret it. There are too many great features I'd be missing:
-If your're shooting outside with flash, you can add a 2 stop nd filter and stretch the exposure range without having a dark finder.
-The M9 feels like an analoque camera, the display is so useless that I keep it shut off permanently. It's like shooting film and instantly getting the scanned files.
-It's unobtrusive.

What I don't like:
-The symmetrical design of the CV15mm leads to color shifts and therefore to a greater post processing effort (sharpness is excellent though).
-Sometimes liveview could really save some time.

Regards

tcdeveau

I'm pretty scant compared to some of you...

MF:
Hassy H4D-40, 35-90mm

35mm:
Nikon D800e, D810, 24mm f1.4, 24-70mm (x2), 70-200 vr II, SB-910 (x2)

Mirrorless:
Sony A7R, 55mm FE

Wish list (in no particular order):
Hassy 503cx, Linhof 617SIII, Leica M Monochrom, Phase One DF+/IQ180 or 260

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Not counting my extensive collection of antique (film!) cameras which includes Rolleis, Periflex, Radix, Craftsman, Canon etc etc, I now keep just two systems.

Sony a7r and a7II with FE 16-35, FE 35-70, FE 70-200, FE 55, A mount 70-400G and Voigtlander 12mm. This my travel outfit.

For really serious stuff, Phase DF with IQ180 and 28 mm, 55 mm, 80 mm, 150 mm, 240 mm lenses, plus a recently acquired 45 TS from Hartblei.

I had a Leica M kit and Sony A mount system but I've downsized - honest!

Bill

rayyen

Compact:
- Sony
- GR
- iPhone
- Polaroid

135:
- Sony A
- Leica M
- Canon EF
- Canon FD

MF:
- Rolleiflex
- Alpa
- Ikonta

LF:
- 4x5

Godfrey

Re: How many camera "systems" do you want to maintain?

Thinking about this, what I'd really like by the end of the year is to have only two "systems" (Leica M and Olympus FT/mFT), with any other gear being either just a fixed lens camera to enjoy for its unique capabilities, a shelf queen for nostalgia's sake, or sold.

To achieve that, I have a lot of selling to do. ;-)

G