The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Best" tripod

Harry

Been out of photography for a few years. Just picked up a D810 today to hold me till I can get a tech cam setup.
I used to have a RRS tripod and ballhead. Need to buy something again.
Only thing is I want to buy one that will hold a tech cam in the future.
Uses would probably be landscape in dirty environments....Death Valley ...coastal areas..

Lets start with tripod first and ballhead or cube type setup for my second purchase

I do know that these 2 items will probably cost as much as the D810

Thanks in advance

kdphotography

You might want to consider RRS again. TVC3 series is a great match for a technical camera.

The Cube is a great combination for a technical camera. I'll be testing a new combination geared ballhead shortly----and expect to have a couple on display in Lake Tahoe with Capture Integration next month.

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I love my RRS tripods on many levels BUT after a few years of experience with them I have to say that Gitzo tripods kick their butt in the real world. Why would I say that? G-Lock and the really f-ing annoying tendency of the RRS legs not to lock fully unless you unleash serious pressure on twisting them. I haven't lost a camera to a sliding RRS leg yet but I've been very very close. By comparison a Gitzo g-lock is solid every time.

So, RRS legs with Gitzo locks and I'll be in tripod heaven. (And I'm a RRS fan boy most of the time)

Arca Cube or d4 are no brainer for the head IMHO unless you need rapid adjustments in which case an Arca Z1. I used to be a fan of RRS heads but compared to Arca they just don't seem smooth. Almost like they're missing some lube.

Pemihan

I have the RRS 24L and love it.
It is the perfect combination of weight and versability. Mostly I only use three sections but when I'm on a hill side it's really convenient to be able to use the fourth section and extract one of the legs even more.

I first bought a 34L but found it to be way too heavy for my kind of hiking and backpacking. And probably also quite a bit of overkill for a tech cam.

gazwas

You simply can't beat a Gitzo tripod IMO as like Graham said the leg locks are just the best. I never saw the value of owning a Gitzo tripod until I lost a camera (which very nearly hit someone) off a Manfrotto tripod when a leg slipped. The very next day I ordered a Series 3 and Series 5 Systematic and have never regretted it for a moment.

For the environments you want to use it in I'd look at a Gitzo 3 or 5 series Ocean Systematic for their added water, dust and corrosion resistance. Couple that with pretty much any Arca Swiss head as they are the best and you'll have the last tripod you'll ever need to buy. I use a Cube and Z1g+ head and I love them both equally but you will need to factor in an L bracket for the Cube as it is terrible without one for portrait orientation compositions. The Z1 is better with L bracket but not a nessessaty as with the Cube and can be purchase later to save on initial cost.

jagsiva

I have the Gitzo 2/3/5 series and the RRS TVL24L/34L.

The 24L is rated for similar capacity to the 3 series Gitzo but weight/size of the RRS is similar to the 2 series Gitzo. The 34L is similar capacity to the 5 series Gitzo, but weight/size is a little larger than the 3 series Gitzo.

I use the 24L with BH40 and it is a very compact kit. On the 34L I have a Cube and it is much heavier and bulkier, but at places like the racetrack in DV where the wind is howling, it does make a difference.

RRS service, even with me in Canada, has been fantastic.

jagsiva

BTW, if you are getting RRS heads, lamps etc., and plan on Arca Swiss tech cam at some point, go for the "screw" claps vs. the "lever" clamps. Lots of threads discussing this topic here.

dchew

I have the 2 and 3 series from both Gitzo and RRS. I agree with Graham above in regards to the leg locks. However, I never use the 2 series Gitzo. I think the 24L is a better option for backpacking. It weighs about the same but feels more solid and is taller (I'm 6'-5").

Still struggling with the 3 series. The Gitzo (GT3541xls) is crazy tall which I love and have used on hills, but it folds up about 3" longer than the 34L. That makes a difference in how it packs. Awkward for any pack less than about 65L capacity.

So for mostly day hikes where you will can carry the tripod in your hands, I think the Gitzo wins. But if you want one that can stow on/in a pack, I would go with the 34L.

Dave

dchew

Oh and as far as heads go, if you are getting a back with live view that you will use, then there are a multitude of options. But if you are planning to use the ground glass or just blind shoot/check/reframe/shoot*, I highly recommend the Cube/D4. I usually have the D4 mounted on the 2 series and the Cube on the 3.

Dave

*this includes going the Surface Pro route

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The one time you need that extra leg extension on a hillside or river bank makes up for all the extra size of the 3542xls. It's only slightly heavier than the 3-section version. I carry it strapped to the outside of the pack.

--Matt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use the RRS 24L which I really like a lot and I love there products but I would never buy there heads again. Too many times there ballheads on light pressure have the ballhead fallen over on its side. I use a Arca Z1 DP which IMHO is the best ball head you can buy. I never lost it to fallen over on its side with light pressure and more important works far better in vertical mode and I shot every piece of MF cams and 35 without ever a issue. I like flip locks as well as I almost lost 40k worth of gear falling off those screw down plates several times ( lucky I had camera straps in my hand at those times). The flip locks maybe a pain but I swear by them. I never lost a cam to them in the field.

My issue with the cube is it's not a fast head. Landscape maybe fine but I shoot fashion and pretty much everything in the business so speed is important to me. The Z1 does creep either like many ballheads.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Sho...C-24L-Versa-series-2-4-sections-leg-long.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469925-REG/Arca_Swiss_801114_Monoball_Z1_dp_with.html

jagsiva

he flip locks maybe a pain but I swear by them. I never lost a cam to them in the field.
Guy, I thought it was the Cube with the flip lock that almost cost you your gear a few years ago? The RRS lever clamps are just a tad too wide for the real Arca Swiss plates, so I have been using the screw clamps instead.

Aphoto

Tripod --> Gitzo
Head --> Arca Swiss
Clamps, plates and brackets --> RRS

That is, what works best for me.

RVB

I have a TVC-24L which is excellent and also a TVC-33 and TQC-14 with BH-40 for times I want to travel light,they're alll excellent for their intended application,the 24L is a great all rounder,I dont really use the TVC-33 since i got the 24L.

I also have a Gitzo Ocean Sysyematic 5series which is superb although the 3 series would be a better bet for most people as the 5 is 2.9kgs.

For heads the cube is great,the Acratech heads are also very nice.

Guy Mancuso

Guy, I thought it was the Cube with the flip lock that almost cost you your gear a few years ago? The RRS lever clamps are just a tad too wide for the real Arca Swiss plates, so I have been using the screw clamps instead.
No a RRS pano clamp . Piece of crap

Dogs857

Tripod - Really Right Stuff TVC-45. It's rock solid, can double as a weapon if attacked and if I get caught out in the rain I can extend it fully, throw a canvas over it and camp out. 3 in 1, can't top that :D

Head - Arca cube. You can buy other heads but you end up with a cube anyway so why not just start there.

Guy Mancuso

Not by popular comment but I had the cube and its a slow dog to work with and not very good for any type of fast work. Its great for landscape and archetecture work but it really ends there . Try shooting a model and its stupid slow. Depends on what type of photography you are doing but a ball head is far faster. Seriously my Z1 is as strong as a cube. Its rated at 130 lbs and it does not move when tightened down. People ignore this because the Cube is in Cult status. Thats fine but Im not into cults or anything that will slow me down.