The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P30+ Video Out?

jars121

Hi everyone,

I've owned a P30+ for the last ~2 years, and am yet to actually use it! I've got a GX680, which is my primary platform, which I've used with digital backs in the past with great success.

I currently have Kapture Group adapters in both Hasselblad V and Mamiya 645 mounts, but not in the Hasselblad H mount required for my P30+.

Study and full-time work have put my aspirations to turn my GX680 into a fully digital system at bay, but I'm looking to kick this project back into gear. My query is regarding the P30+ and outputting video/image to a monitor.

I'm aware that I can tether (via firewire) to a computer running Capture One software to get a 'Live View' image, but the nature of my work wouldn't allow for tethered use of the system.

What I'm after is the ability to mount a small HD monitor off the side of my tripod, which will allow me to view the captured images. This is the setup I'm trying to replicate:

Is this possible on the P30+? If not, which digital back(s) should I be looking for?

Many thanks!

Jamie

Don Libby

I may be incorrect however the only way you'll be able to actually view the images off the back is being tethered to a computer that is running C1. No monitor will work here.

Don

Don Libby

Actually looking at the last portion of your thread re would any back allow for this and as far as I know (speaking of Phase) the answer is still no. The files are shot RAW and must be converted by software in order to vie them and as far as I know there isn't a monitor available that has the ability to load software.

The closest thing I could think of is a small tablet that also has firwire port but then you run into problems with whether if has enough power in the port to talk to the back...hope that makes sense.

The P30+ is a great back the only drawback is the small screen. When I was shooting with one I forgot about attempting to view the image file and instead concentrated on the histogram.

Don

jars121

Thanks for the reply Don, much appreciated!

I figured this might be the case, but I have seen external monitor setups floating around the internet (like the one I shared in the OP), and figured I'd ask.

I imagine that for a generic HD monitor to be able to playback images from a digital back, the back would have to be able to output a non-RAW preview file, otherwise a software component would be required to render the RAW format.

MartinN

Well there is actually one DB with video out, the Mamiya ZD Back. This back has a 3.5mm video out (PAL/NTSC) and of course NO HD. The problem is that you can NOT use it on a GX680. The ZD Back is only usable on Mamiya AFD I /II/III or Mamiya RZ Pro II D.

kdphotography

With your current set-up, I think the closest you're going to get to a larger monitor on the side of your tripod--- is tethering to a small laptop with Firewire.

Otherwise, the smallest form-function is going to be with a USB3 enabled MFDB (IQ series or Credo), and tethered to a Surface Pro tablet.

ken

jars121

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated as always.

Steve, thanks for letting me know the link wasn't working. It was working fine for me at home, but it seems to be broken here at work and on my phone. Australian internet ey ;)

I've given it some thought, and I don't think the lack of external viewing functionality is a big deal for me. If I find that I really do require it, I'll simply tether to a laptop running C1.

The big question I have for myself right now is whether I keep my H-mount P30+, or try and swap it for a Mamiya 645 mount equivalent back. I already have the required M645 adapter for my GX680, and can easily see myself adding a 645AFD to my arsenal someday, whereas I have no interest in the Hasselblad H-series, and would need to source an H-mount adapter for my GX680 ($800+ Australian).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It's a whole different price category, but since a wide range of viewers might read your question, it bears mentioning that with an IQ250 you'd have wireless live view and image review/editing via any iOS device. This is, in my opinion, better than Video out since it allows asynchronous review (i.e. you can use it as the photographer for live view, and hand it to someone else for review/editing without requiring the camera to be monopolized during their review/edit.

kdphotography

Have all the bugs been worked out of wireless live view? Is there a difference with wireless capabilities (in practice) between the IQ250 and IQ260/280?

jars121

Thanks for that Doug. As much as I would love to move up to an IQ-series back, I just can't justify the expense for mostly non-professional use.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to get rid of my P30+, for a number of reasons. First and foremost I want a Mamiya-mount back. Secondly, given that the back will be used primarily on my GX680, the microlens sensor of the P30+ probably isn't the best match for shooting on a camera where movements will be used.

I've posted a 'Wanted to Trade' in the For Sale section, so hopefully there's a Mamiya-mount, non-microlens back out there with my name on it :)

Steve Hendrix

Thanks for that Doug. As much as I would love to move up to an IQ-series back, I just can't justify the expense for mostly non-professional use.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to get rid of my P30+, for a number of reasons. First and foremost I want a Mamiya-mount back. Secondly, given that the back will be used primarily on my GX680, the microlens sensor of the P30+ probably isn't the best match for shooting on a camera where movements will be used.

I've posted a 'Wanted to Trade' in the For Sale section, so hopefully there's a Mamiya-mount, non-microlens back out there with my name on it :)

About the conditions you're shooting in - are you outside of a studio without access to power? I'm just curious where a laptop or a desktop would be that much more trouble than an external monitor? Out of the studio I understand, although there are some pretty light laptops setups.

Regardless, some of the current P45+ ($9,990) or even P65+ ($12,490)refurbished specials might be worth looking at....

www.digitalback.com/refurbished P45+ & P65+

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

MaxKißler

I understand you would prefer a Mamiya mount back but you should'nt rule out your P30+ just yet. The microlenses might cause color shifts and other issues on tech cams with short symmetrical lenses but the shortest FL on your GX680 is a 50mm retrofocus design (all longer FLs will definetely work). So I highly doubt that you would ever run into any trouble no matter how intense your movements will be.
At least I didn't when I tested the HTS1,5 + HC 35mm in combination with my P30+. This seems to be a comparable setup but of course always test for yourself.

Regards

jars121

Thanks for that Max. I think you're right; I don't think I will have too many issues with the microlens sensor, given that I don't use extreme movements all that often.

I've given this topic some further thought, and I think I will try and stick with my P30+ for the time being. As such, I just need to try and find an H-mount adapter. I've spoken with Kapture Group, but I'm really hoping to be able to find a second hand adapter for the time being, given how expensive a new adapter is with the current exchange rate.