The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P/P+/IQ Silicon Protection Cases

f8orbust

Just noticed these on eBay (P/P+ series and IQ/IQ2 series).

Wondering if the degree of protection they (potentially) give a DB from being dropped is negated by the 'danger' from overheating? The seller says 'great heat dissipation,' but - without wishing to sound too cynical - they would, wouldn't they?

kdphotography

Actually, Steve---that's a Graham Welland MFDB cover, aka Op/tech hood hat, and it fits like a glove. Perfect for travel or in the pack and easily removed.

It seems to me that the silicone case would block dissipation of heat despite its claims---compared to a naked MFDB. Holy shi*t! Just checked the price---$139.00!! No thanks. Op/tech beats it hands down. I'd rather use the cash on an extra battery or other.

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gaffer tape along the bottom of the IQ also works a treat protecting against scraps from the camera tipping back on the bottom edge.

I can supply strips custom cut for $5 plus postage :ROTFL:

(Btw, I think that it was Steve who beat me to the Hood Hat - all credit where it's due. He also introduced me to a very nice towel for keeping the rain off too. :thumbs: )

Last edited:

kdphotography

Oops! Sorry, Graham. I stand corrected.

The Op/tech MFDB cover is actually the famed Gilbert MFDB Cover.... :D

More tricks and tips shared from our CI in Carmel outings. I've got some new tips/tricks for CI in Lake Tahoe in April 2015!

ken

f8orbust

...Holy shi*t! Just checked the price...
Yes, I think that's what you call 'optimistic' pricing ... but hang on a second, Alpa sells a 3D printed lens shade for $500+ so this actually looks quite good value (*ahem*).

buy insurance
True, but make a $20k+ claim and see what your rates climb to next year, and the year after, and the year after that etc. And then, whenever you take out insurance on pretty much anything else there will be the 'have you made an insurance claim in the past 5 years box' which, if you check, basically says 'I'm a liability, charge whatever you want'.

So...if there's a way to minimize the need for an insurance claim ever arising, I'd like to know. Not sure these are it, but with a little bit of a redesign/change of material, they'd be close.

I like the tin box BTW.