The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stacking focus - Helicon or CS4 ?

anGy

Hello,
I'm not sure about upgrading CS3 to CS4. It cost some money here in Europe for a non english version. The only new function that really appeals me is the focus staking.

But I saw that Helicon focus is specialized in doing that.
I also believe Photoshop is not always as good with new functionalities as a specialized plug-in (pano stiching was not so good before CS3).

So the question is 'do you think CS3 will do the same (good) job as Helicon Focus ?'

(use = macro shots of jewellery, very few dof on each shot even at f16)

Maybe it's a bit early to ask this questions but if anyone already had the chance to compare, please let us know !

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So the question is 'do you think CS3 will do the same (good) job as Helicon Focus ?'

(use = macro shots of jewellery, very few dof on each shot even at f16)
Helicon Focus will do a better job most of the time based on my testing.

However, stacking macro shots from a steady camera stand is the least difficult form of DOF stacking. So either program should be able to easily handle it.

My vote would be for Helicon so that if you ever use it in trickier situations (e.g. landscape with moving leaves) you will have the more powerful tool.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

anGy

Thanks all of you for your comments. Sorry, I did miss the thread you mentionned Guy.
Very informative, you're all enthousiast about Helicon, and someone did complain about focus stacking with CS4. So I believe I now know where to point my Visa card !

Thanks