The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV-50c back not always firing when using Winder with 503CW...

bindermuehle

Hi all,

I've just received a long awaited winder for my 503CW body. Together with the 50c back this makes an awesome machine... except the back only fires about 2 times out of 3 when using the winder! This is most bizarre. The tab mechanism that fires the exposure moves in the exact same way as far as the eye can tell: same speed, same distance. And in manual mode without the winder, I cannot reproduce this behaviour, the back always fires.

Has anyone come across these symptoms before? Is there a cure?

Thanks

- Balt

bindermuehle

I think I fixed it. I noticed that when no lens is attached, the back always fires. I then looked at the pin that sticks into the back to trigger the exposure and measured how far it sticks out with a lens attached and how far without a lens. Turns out it's a fraction of a millimetre less far with the lens, and that happens to be extremely close to the trigger point for the back. I then wrapped several layers of paper tape on top of each other and cut them to match the size of the pin, stuck them on top, and now the back always triggers.

I suspect there are more elegant solutions, but I'm glad I found the reason... so if anyone else is having this problem, that's why.

Cheers

- Balt

P.S. I guess that's why some of my astrophysicist colleagues refer to me as "the engineer". That's not a compliment in my profession. But I do get stuff done...

Udo

Balt,

stupid question: are you using the cable which links the back and the winder? As far as I know this cable transfers the trigger signal to release the capture on the sensor.

I am not using a CMOS back but the older CFV50 (CCD) on a 503 with winder AND the sync cable.

Regards, Udo

tjv

Great you think you solved the problem.
But more importantly, how do you like the back!!! I'm 99% sold on it, just waiting for the right moment to jump.

bindermuehle

Hi Udo,

I'm not using the cable, just the pin that triggers the back. I think the older CFV50 needs the cable to trigger?

tjv, the 50c back is wonderful. The noise performance is really quite decent as compared to the CCD chips from the prior generation, those really were a disgrace as far as noise was concerned. But it still is nowhere near as good as e.g. the Canon 5D MkIII, or the Sony alpha 7.

Resolution wise this back will demand the best of your lenses. I really only have two lenses in my collection that perform to that incredible crispness like I've experienced with the original 16MP CFV. That's the 180mm CFi, and the 30mm CFi. All other lenses are just not quite there... of course I don't have any of the Superachromat lenses which I'm told are as good as it gets.

I'm often shooting with the CF 50mm, I wonder whether the CFi 50mm would be a substantial upgrade image quality wise? The MTF according to the Zeiss spec sheets look identical.

Cheers

- Balt

bindermuehle

Turns out my rigged solution didn't really work. I'm now using the cable, switched the back into "Winder CW" mode and all's working splendidly.

Cheers

- Balt