The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filter Adapter Ring for SK 40-80mm f4-5.6

triangle

Hello

Long time reader but first time poster. I have an SK 40-80mm f4-5.6 on the way from Denmark, along with an IQ260, Alpa STC and Rodenstock 32mm HR ... but I digress :)

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has any experience fitting the Lee 100mmx100m foundation kit on this lens. The lens filter is 105mm and would like to know if the standard Lee 105mm adapter ring for long lenses will fit without causing vignetting.

If anyone has any advice, i would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Andrew

I've wondered the same thing about that lens. I don't think Lee do a 105mm adapter ring. One solution was something a German photographer I met in London a few weeks ago had done: he drilled two holes on the side of his filters and used elastic to hold them onto the camera. Worked well with smaller lenses and super wides but maybe not with the 40-80 monster.

stephengilbert

SKGrimes make custom slip-on adapters. They slip over the outside of the lens barrel and have threads in front. You provide the outside diameter of the lens, and the thread size you want.

See http://www.skgrimes.com/products/slip-on-filter-adapter (Note that the adapter shown is brass, but they're currently made of anodized aluminum.)

In addition, they've made me some plastic (Delrin?) versions that slip pver a lens and accept a round LCC that I'd made. I'd think they could make something similar to haold whatever size filter you want.

tcdeveau

You may have to go bigger. I've got the Hassy 35-90mm (95mm thread size), and even for that the 100mm Lee push on adaptor works but not great. It pushes on but not well with a UV filter in front. I have to be careful to make sure it doesn't fall off. It might be more snug on the 40-80 but then again it might not fit at all. I think it's designed for lens with a 100mm outer diameter (95mm internal thread).

I also have the Lucroit 165mm holder and that works much better and is much more secure...has a 95mm threaded adaptor that screws into the threads which the filter holder snaps into. They might have a 105mm adaptor for that for the SK 40-80. It's a tradeoff though because obviously the 165mm filters are much more expensive and more difficult to transport, keep clean, etc. I've also noticed some nasty flaring with the Lucroit holder and the larger filters, but I'm attributing that to user error at the moment. I've often resorted to simply holding my 100mm filters in front of the lens for exposures of just a couple seconds or shorter, but that also has its drawbacks too haha.

Looking forward to seeing some images from that IQ260/40-80 combo you got on the way...I think that's my dream landscape rig at the moment

triangle

Thank you all :) Lee do make a 105mm adapter and I've now got one to try out (i'm dubious it will be ok by the look of it). If it doesn't work, I'll try some of your great suggestions. Thanks so much. I'll post my results with the 105mm next week when the gear arrives and, should not that be a no go, whatever solution winds up working out.

Thanks again!

Andrew

triangle

!Q260 arrived last night and as promised, have tested with the LEE 105mm filter adapter ring for long lenses and can report it works fine without vignetting. Very good.

This lens is huge!

A :)