The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's your experience with SK / HR 150mm & 180mm lenses

I'm interested to add either 150mm or 180mm in my tech lens kit:

I intend to use it on IQ150/Credo 50 MFDB.

What's your experience with following lenses?

Rodenstock Apo - Sironar - digital

150 mm
180 mm

Schneider Kreuznach Apo Symmar L

150 mm
180 mm

Schneider Kreuznach Apo Digitar

150 mm
180 mm

Pemihan

I have the SK Apo Digitar 150mm. Got it recently and haven't really used it much yet but from my testing it is laser sharp!

vjbelle

The Schneider 150mm Apo Digitar is a stellar lens and has been in my arsenal for over 4 years. I would not be without it..... and it is very sharp.

Victor

yatlee

Schneider Kreuznach Apo Digitar - 150 mm - Sharp
Rodenstock Apo - Sironar - digital - 150 mm - slightly Sharper.....

Aviv1887

Is there any distortion, pincushion, mustache differences between the SK and RS lenses? On the wide lenses this is an issue to really look at, or are these lenses just to long? Just curious since the remarks are only about sharpness of the lenses.

dchew

Another vote for the Sk150 digitar. I have not used any of the others you list, but it ranks right up with the other lenses in my kit: 40hr, sk60 and 90hr (the new one).

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ditto with the 150 SK Apo-Digitar - absolutely sharp and easy to use lens with huge image circle too for any movements. It's a big lens due to the helicoid and mount but ultimately the lens/shutter itself is actually pretty small and light. I basically don't need to do any LCC's even with movements either.

When I bought the SK 150 I did also look at the SK 120 versions and the 180mm but in the end figured that 150mm was the more universal for landscape use. I can't speak to the Rodenstock versions.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Is there any distortion, pincushion, mustache differences between the SK and RS lenses? On the wide lenses this is an issue to really look at, or are these lenses just to long? Just curious since the remarks are only about sharpness of the lenses.
TBH I don't see any distortion with the sk150.

danlindberg

I read somewhere that the SK120N and the SK150 are identical except for the obvious focal length difference....I do not know if true, but if so, my take on the SK120N is that it is a razor at f8 and mid-distance to infinity, no dist, you can throw it around with movements and no probs. I shoot mine without LCC.
The only downside I see is that it is rather sensitive to stray light and looses contrast rapidly if you don't use shade and/or flag.

Since you bought a raw lens ... Cambo Actus??
I was thinking about Cambo Actus, but it is not modular enough to accept both MFDB & DSLR. Requires Conversion Kit to use with MFDB.

Since I'm moving into a MFDB with real live view [Credo 50], shooting with Sony A7r will become less important for me.

So the decision is to stay with trusted RM3di. Cambo Actus / Arca Universalis is untested territory for me, and I believe I will get more precision focusing with RM3di.

Sending it to France to get "R" mount. The reason I bought raw lens is, overall it is about $500 cheaper than buying from Arca, and not in stock with dealer as well.

Last edited: