The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering Issue

Dogs857

I tried tethering today in order to do some further testing of my lenses to see how much movement etc I can actually get at my preferred apertures.

The only problem was I always ended up with an overexposed section in the top right corner. I checked everything to see if I had a light leak, changed out the lens in case there was some issue and checked and re-checked to make sure the back was attached properly. Nothing changed the issue.

It doesn't show up at all when shooting to the CF card, only when I am tethered and shooting to the computer.

Here is what I am talking about, I deliberately underexposed this shot to show what is happening. This is with all movements centred.

I turned off all the lights in case I was getting some weird light interference. Ignore the bluish glow on the left, that's my TV ready light.

Am I doing something wrong??

This is with a P45+ tethered to Capture One Pro 8.1

ChrisLivsey

If the CF save is fine I suspect a power issue. Lack of power, not sufficient power not no supply, can give some strange artefacts.
Phase One usually recommend:

"Do the following:
First of all go to:
Menu ->Configuration -> Restore Defaults ->Restore Defaults
Then
Menu ->Configuration ->Power Source ->Battery

Make sure you have a fully charged battery in the back and try again."

before anything else. As suggested the cable may be at fault if the above does not work, how long a cable are you running?

rga

Are you shooting your TV screen?
Maybe try a black wall or black matte paper?
Sorry, I missed why you're shooting a solid black object: some reason I'm missing...
Good luck,
Bob

Dogs857

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.

I kept everything in place and slept on it. This morning I fired everything back up and took a shot, same issue. Checked connections, checked the battery, checked everything else again and again. Same issue. :cussing: I had almost resigned myself to needing another Firewire cable. The preview on the screen did not have the blown out section, only the saved shot in Capture One. As a last resort I took an LCC for that shot to keep the process going. When I went to create the LCC I noticed there was one already applied. The one from the first LCC I created last night. So it tuns out it was user error from not understanding Capture One that well.

The very first shot I took was on my 43XL with 15mm rise and 20mm shift at f/11. I ran out of image circle but just for fun I shot and made an LCC anyway to see what would happen. It was obviously terrible and included a blown out section in the top right corner. This is because I was trying to get it to do too much. The second shot I took was with everything centred to get a proper test baseline, however Capture One added the LCC from the previous shot automatically. I didn't realise this was happening and instead saw the shot and freaked out. I then took a number of other shots and had the same issue, without ever looking at the LCC data.

So once I had that figured I took a shot, removed the LCC and everything is fine.

Is there a way to stop Capure One automatically applying LCC's when tethered?? At least I know what is going on now.

Thanks again

Paul2660

Glad to see you figured it out. I have never tried to apply a LCC tethered and its interesting to know this. I have realize that while tethered in session mode if you apply a shadow or highlight correction to one image that becomes the norm until you close out the session. I created a custom working space called tethered which maximizes the image view screen so I can get a good preview. It seems that if you make any corrections to exposure, shadows, highlights etc these stay on for all the shots from then on until you move the sliders back to 0. This is unlike how C1 works in session mode on a PC when you browse a folder of images. The adjustments only apply to the image you are working on. You can of course copy them to other images but they don't automatically apply to all images in the folder as is what happens to a tethered session.

Paul