The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenock Calculator

arvedg

After following this outstanding community about a year now I dare to come up with a first question here.

Has anyone used the Rodenstock calculator for measuring the optimal amount of tilt? I cannot get the theory untwisted in my head for using it with the Alpa Max.

Typically I figure out the amount of tilt with the ground glass and some iterations. But in hope of moving towards a technically more precise method recently I picked up one of those calculators and tried to make it work. Total fail even with reading the instructions ... I seem to miss something essential.

Inclination angle is the angle I bend my camera down instead of shooting straight leveled - or is it zero all time with the Alpa? Then second step I am stuck again. Focus on the two Scheimpflug points and measure the vertical distance on the camera. Is there a way to translate this for the Alpa?

Though the instructions of the Rodenstock calculator seem to be made for a camera/lens with rails and bellows I thought it should be possible to use it also with the Alpa. Or maybe the simple answer is: forget about the calculator - it will not work?

Guess I need a little bit of help, please.

Best,
Arved

Last edited:

stephengilbert

From the Linhof Studio webpage: "The Tilt Swing Calculator or Scheimpflug Calculator works simply by you focusing on the two Scheimpflug points and setting a few values (all perfectly described in the instructions) and it will tell you exactly how much swing or tilt to apply."

When someone tells you something "works simply," beware. :)

I wonder if this is better or worse than the "simple" iPhone apps?

arvedg

Re: Rodenstock Calculator

Hahahaha, Stephen, I totally agree. But once having started with trying to use this calculator I dug in deeper and deeper .... and when I had to confess that I won't figure out myself, I thought here one of you might have tried to use it earlier.

Thanks both of you for pointing me to the apps. Probably I can make an Android app work on the Blackberry. The Snapi tool looks fantastic, but there unfortunately is just an iPhone version I fear.

Still if anyone knows how to apply the Rodenstock calculator to shooting the Alpa I'd be really interested. Same if knowing it will not work - just to free up space in my brain again for thinking of something more valuable :)

Thanks,
Arved

jagsiva

Worst case, you can get the formulae and just build a simple spreadsheet for you BB or Android. Again, all these would get you to a starting point. Tripod height, focal length, CoC etc. all have a major role to play, so best to verify final image :)

Jamgolf

I will second jagsiva's advice regarding Snapi Tilt Calculator app.
I have been using it and I think its a really good tool.

arvedg

One day I'll have to switch to the iPhone community :)

I guess at least the Rodentock calculator I'll give up on. A good Android app I haven't found yet, but "worst case" there is still the iterative focus with GG tilt focus tilt approach as I do presently. It's not THAT bad until something better shows up. It was just a try.

Thanks all for your help!

Best,
Arved

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
From the Linhof Studio webpage: "The Tilt Swing Calculator or Scheimpflug Calculator works simply by you focusing on the two Scheimpflug points and setting a few values (all perfectly described in the instructions) and it will tell you exactly how much swing or tilt to apply."

I wonder if this is better or worse than the "simple" iPhone apps?
I bought one of these with its little blue pouch years ago - I never did work out how to follow the "straight forward" instructions.

The snapi tilt app fixed it all for me. Especially being able to measure body tilt as well as height to dial in starting tilt numbers. These days though it's a mechanical process with live view - but once you know the typical numbers you can more often than not just dial in the tilt, f stop, hyperfocal and pretty much nail it. Mostly ... :)

arvedg

I bought one of these with its little blue pouch years ago - I never did work out how to follow the "straight forward" instructions.
Hi Graham, I am glad to hear even you had the same problem - makes me feel (a little bit) less stupid.

Ok, I definitely have to hire an assistant with iPhone to get hands on snapi ...