The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LEE Wide Angle Lens Hood

gazwas

My LEE WA lens hood is a permanent fixture on my camera and would never shoot without it but todayI purchased the new LEE landscape polariser and adapter ring with the thought it would mount to the front of the hood as the specs suggest.

Just sat down, screwdriver in hand, hood in bits and I can't seem to get the adapter ring to fit to the front of the hood? The bellows material on the top and bottom of the hood where it attaches to the metal where the screw holes are seem to stop it laying flat. I know quite a few here use this amazing hood but just wondered if anyone here has successfully mounted the adapter ring and care to share some tips? :confused:

Paul2660

My LEE WA lens hood is a permanent fixture on my camera and would never shoot without it but todayI purchased the new LEE landscape polariser and adapter ring with the thought it would mount to the front of the hood as the specs suggest.

Just sat down, screwdriver in hand, hood in bits and I can't seem to get the adapter ring to fit to the front of the hood? The bellows material on the top and bottom of the hood where it attaches to the metal where the screw holes are seem to stop it laying flat. I know quite a few here use this amazing hood but just wondered if anyone here has successfully mounted the adapter ring and care to share some tips? :confused:
Yes, the material is just a bit too wide, I just trimmed it on mine, and lifted the bellows material up just a bit where the ring is interfering with the fit. That was 2 years ago, and so far the bellows is not pulling away or weakening. The new Lee 105mm thin CLPL is a nice addition with this ring.

Paul

Last edited:

gazwas

Thanks Paul, I've managed to get it on the hood and not trimmed anything but the adapter ring in sat on the bellows material on the top/bottom and sides so at least eaually slightly proud. Will see how I get on with it before I grt to trimming the hood.

The new polariser does look great and very slim with the nice addition that it adds some warmth to the image which I liked the sound of. Can't wait to give it a try.

I read stories of filters being very difficult to remove from the adapter ring and peopke recomnend vasolite (sounds messy) or graphite. Do you do anything with yours?

Paul2660

Thanks Paul, I've managed to get it on the hood and not trimmed anything but the adapter ring in sat on the bellows material on the top/bottom and sides so at least eaually slightly proud. Will see how I get on with it before I grt to trimming the hood.

The new polariser does look great and very slim with the nice addition that it adds some warmth to the image which I liked the sound of. Can't wait to give it a try.

I read stories of filters being very difficult to remove from the adapter ring and peopke recomnend vasolite (sounds messy) or graphite. Do you do anything with yours?
So far, I have not had any issues with the new Lee thin CL-PL, as there is just enough of the ring to get a good grip on, but I have larger hands. It's a bit tricky with the thin filter as you don't have as much of the non-rotating part to grab. I would hold off with any of the lubricants as they may possibly make it worse and the dry graphite may get into your camera or lens. It's a mess to work with IMO.

Paul

gazwas

Thanks Paul, have you noticed much difference with the added warmth and how do you store such an expensive filter in the LEE tin?

Thanks for the pictures by the way, especially your dog with the snazzy scarf..... :LOL:

Paul2660

I think it's a bit warmer than the B+W I was using. It's pretty similar to the Lee 4x4 CL-PL that fits in their standard holder.

Funny when I took the 2nd shot I didn't even see my dog was visible. She is a fashion statement with the bandana.

Paul

Paul2660

I finally got to use this CL-PL in the field a few times, and I can report the following;

It a very warm filter, adds as much as 1000K to a shot on CCD or CMOS, which I found a bit depressing. It can be adjusted out in C1, but still it's a bit of a pain. Also on bright sunny day, the warming effect is pretty intense. It's actually very similar to how the 4 x 4 Lee CL-PL works. However if you flip the 4 x 4 it become much cooler, can't do that with the 105mm.

It's pretty easy to get off, not as much to grab but you can get a grip on it.

I compared it to my B+W 105mm and B+W is much cooler.

Just a heads up.

Paul