The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lower Priced 'Surface 3' announced with full Windows

kdphotography

As a side note – and I know people have said WIFI connections are not so stable in the field – do Hasselblad or Phase allow for WIFI tethering of full resolution JPG or RAW files?....
Just a side note on tethering with the Surface Pro versus WiFi solutions:

The Surface Pro runs a full version of Capture One Pro 8, fully tethered, which means being able to view full resolution RAW files at 100% at a double-tap, or up to 400%. Try that with a WiFi jpeg and meet instant Surface Pro envy.... :eek:

No comparison in terms of performance abilities (without potential WiFi *ahem* issues). I think of it as a "super-extension" of the MFDB screen, but add better 100% Zooming for middle aged eyes. Great Loupe Tool and simply drag with a finger to position over the image, Focus Mask, highlight/shadow sliders approach to check details, and even Live View (vari-ND approach best) with new multiple focus points. All the tools of C1 Pro 8 at at your disposal in the field.

But you do need a USB3 enabled MFDB. I'm not familiar with Phocus' capabilities, but without USB3, venerable H missed the party!

The biggest challenge imho is glare, a difficulty facing any device with a monitor in the field. If anyone discovers a custom fit Surface Pro "hood" that is portable or folds flat----make sure to share it on the Surface Pro thread! http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...o-2-enabling-phase-iq-series-credo-mfdbs.html

ken

narikin

If you want a Firewire tethering tablet for a Hassy back, a good option is the ~5 years old Fujitsu Lifebook series machines, that have a built in mini-Firewire port (same as full size port, but no charging) and very decent Core 2 Duo processors, etc.

I used the Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 for C1 tethering in the field when Firewire was the only option on Phase backs. It has a touch screen which folds back completely on itself converting into a tablet form, with Pen interface, full windows, and does everything a Surface Pro does, but in a bigger & heavier form. They were $2500+ new, but unbelievably around $100 used on eBay now (!) though make sure you get a good working one.

narikin

A couple of people have asked about using mini firewire ports on the Fujitsu convertibles. I simply bought a mini firewire 400 to full size firewire 400 cable on NewEgg, for about $10. Power for my Phase back came from the battery, as you cannot charge through mini f/w. I presume Hassy has some autonomous power option of its own, outside of firewire power, so you'd use that.

The Fujitsu convertibles are excellent machines, but I can only say for sure that the T5010 has firewire built in, which worked perfectly with my IQ180. Later models are a bit lighter and have full touchscreens (rather than just pen) but I'm not sure they have a firewire port still, so double check that. Do note it is more than double the weight of a Surface Pro 3, but is a great option otherwise, especially if you need firewire tethering. I still have mine.

jerome_m

I presume Hassy has some autonomous power option of its own, outside of firewire power, so you'd use that.
Only on the H5D series and H4D-60. For the others, a firewire power injector and battery must be used (or a powered hub, which does the same thing).

The miniplug is also limited to 400 MB/s, while the camera can run at double that speed.

narikin

Ok, well if it must be full size IEEE 1394 Firewire for Hassy backs, then there is a PCMCIA card slot, which you can fill with a full size Firewire adapter card:

from the spec sheet of T5010:

Ports:
One 15-pin D-SUB connector for VGA external monitor
Three USB 2.1 (Universal Serial Bus) connectors for input/output devices
One DC In connector
One IEEE 1394 (4-pin type) jack
One LAN (RJ-45) connector
One modem (RJ-11) connector (on select configurations)
Docking port (100-pin, to dock with port replicator)
One stereo headphone jack
One stereo microphone/line-in jack

Card Slots:
PCMCIA Card slot for one Type I or Type II card
Memory Stick/SD Card slot
Dedicated Smart Card slot (requires third-party application) FIPS-201 Approved

There are many such cards on Amazon or NewEgg or eBay, etc:

BYTECC Model FW-PCMCIA-2 PCI to 1394 Card Add-On Card - Newegg.com

Wa-La, you have a touchscreen tablet with full firewire good for Hassy, etc. for about $200!
Good luck!

Surface Pro 3 - $200 off at Costco

What it includes:
• Surface Pro 31 – Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, 256GB storage2 with 8GB RAM
• Windows 8.1 Pro
• Surface Pen – for the best writing and drawing experience on a tablet
• Surface Pro Type Cover (black) – designed exclusively for Surface Pro 3, the revolutionary click-in keyboard also protects
your display
• Office 365 Personal – a 1 year subscription3 to the latest versions of the best-in-class applications that you know and love
like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote
• Surface Pro Screen Protector – made with tempered glass to offer premium scratch and chip protection for your Surface Pro 3

weinlamm

Anything new from the Surface 3 'normal'? Have seen, that it's avaible soon. Still intersted if it will work as the Pro. :)

Paul2660

Last time I checked it runs the atom processor, which is not really going to work well with applications like C1, and tethering. Also what is the max ram? I thought it was only 4GB, which I also don't think will work well with C1 and tethering. It's priced right for sure at somewhere near 400.00

Paul

kdphotography

Best bet if you want to tether with a Surface Pro "on the cheap"---is be on the lookout for a SP2 Pro or SP3 Pro when the new SP4 Pro is released later this year.

If Guy Mancuso had a Surface Pro---that's the first place to check. :ROTFL: Second runner-up, I'd check with Don Libby.:)

You definitely want Core i5 processor or better and 8GB of RAM to tether and run C1 Pro 8.

Btw, I'm working on what I think will be the last generation of new and improved clamping options for tethering with the Surface Pro. More to follow. ;)

ken

D&A

Best bet if you want to tether with a Surface Pro "on the cheap"---is be on the lookout for a SP2 Pro or SP3 Pro when the new SP4 Pro is released later this year.

If Guy Mancuso had a Surface Pro---that's the first place to check. :ROTFL: Second runner-up, I'd check with Don Libby.:)

You definitely want Core i5 processor or better and 8GB of RAM to tether and run C1 Pro 8.

Btw, I'm working on what I think will be the last generation of new and improved clamping options for tethering with the Surface Pro. More to follow. ;)

ken
I've been running Surface Pro 2 then Surface Pro 3 i5 256. What is the battery life differences as well as fairly intensive work speed between Pro 3 i5 vs. I7 when running applications like C1 or current Photoshop? It's these two parameters (just an approximation) that interests me the most between the two processors in the Pro3. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)