The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ160 wide lenses for stitching with tech camera

dchew

What do you guys mean by "tiling" in this context? I understand seeing tiling of the 6-sensor structure, but I find that is not related to lens or pixel structure (I have an image with that type of tiling from a P65+ / DF / 150mm lens - which definitely does not have acute angles to the sensor).

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I faced the same issues when upgrading from Leaf Aptus-II 7 (33mp) to IQ160. I had the 35XL and 47XL and decided to sell them both and get the Rodenstock 40HR and Schneider 60XL instead, both in T/S mounts. Expensive yes but worth it (to me)
For stitching I wouldn't recommend the 35 and 47XL with the IQ160, not only because of the color cast but also due to issues with tiling when shifting, especially left/right.
Ditto with 35/47 -> 40 HR. The schneiders were good but both needed centre filters with the IQ160. Loved both lenses for a long time but the 40HR is significantly better overall IMHO.

tjv

Any chance someone could post an example of micro lens ripple? I've heard it mentioned but never seen what it looks like.

Paul2660

What do you guys mean by "tiling" in this context? I understand seeing tiling of the 6-sensor structure, but I find that is not related to lens or pixel structure (I have an image with that type of tiling from a P65+ / DF / 150mm lens - which definitely does not have acute angles to the sensor).

Dave
As I understand it, tiling is only going to be seen in the Dalsa sensors that have the readout lines. The readout lines are there to speed up the processing of the image on the 60 and 80MP sensors. However this readout has to be calibrated to keep the image even from all the sections. At times you will see a vertical line in your shot, this is from one of the readout's not being in calibration with the others. The issue is most of a concern on a solid subject, sky, water, etc and can be worse in a B&W conversion. The LCC taken during the process should give C1 the information to help remove this and the back is calibrated also. However many times a back, the 80MP seem more prone to this, needs to be re-calibrated. Sometimes this can be done by a dealer over the phone other times, the back goes back to Phase One.

At times, if you are zoomed into 100%, you can actually see C1 process out the readouts in that as you move around, you may see a large portion of a piece of sky seem darker or see a vertical line and then it will disappear. Most times, you won't see the tiling on the LCC at time of capture.

Some lenses are more prone to have issues with tiling on the Dalsa sensors for example, my 43SK did it almost everytime on a rise of 5mm but did not seem to have the same problem with shifts of up to 18mm.

Microlens ripple, is an issue with movements and most times is only seen on the edge of the shfited image. Very distinctive effect, hard straight lines looking like banding about 1/8 of an inch apart. The more the shift, the more the ripple. You tend to see these with all tech lenses, again the Schneider ones seem a bit more prone to it i.e. with a lot of movement. Here you WILL see the ripple in the LCC taken after the shot, if you zoom into 100%. However when you process the LCC in C1, the ripple should be taken out. Does it work all the time, no. On my 35SK, the ripple was very harsh and C1 never really got it out. On my 43 SK, it could be depending on the shot. With the 40 HR-W, you will get it, very faintly with large movement on a 60MP or 80MP sensor but C1 does an excellent job of getting it out. So much that you really can't see the effect of it on a solid color, like sky. I will try to post a shot later.

Paul

dchew

Thanks Paul,
I guess we are talking about the same thing, but I've just never seen an association with specific lenses. Maybe because I have not shifted the 40hr much. But as I mentioned above, I occasionally see tiling on a random list of lenses including a shot from a DF / moderate telephoto on a P65+. I'm not sure I can work out in my head why a more acute angle to the sensor fron closer exit pupils would make tiling worse. I totally understand lens cast, crosstalk and ripple. Just not the link between tiling and lens. I suppose there could be a larger gap where the sensors are joined together which might explain it.

Dave

Dcchurchill

My new 40mm HR arrived yesterday and I am extremely happy with it. It has enough image circle for the stitches I like to do and is much more usable right to the edges than my old 35mm and 45mm APO sironars. Thanks for the advice.
Does anyone have any experience with a SK Super Angulon 90mm XL with IQ 160? I would look at the rodenstock digital 90 but the image circle is too small for me.

jagsiva

Congrats! Always eager to help others spend their money wisely :)

The new Rodie 90HRSW has a 125mm IC and is sharp well into the corners. The other option may be the SK 120 ASPH. it has a 150mm IC and here a very large FoV with movements. It is also very sharp and quite small, and "relatively" cheap.

Paul2660

As I understand the 90mm HR-SW It has a 120mm IC as Rodenstock backed off the 125mm IC of the older 90mm HR and HR-W. The 90mm HR-SW also needs the back extension which adds a bit of complexity.

The 120mm Digitar APO is a much lighter lens, still needs the back extension however. As Schneider has stated they are getting out of the digital kens business, not sure how much longer this excellent lens will be available.

As the the 90mm Schneider, I am considering one of these myself. I have read good things about it but never used one. It's also very light and compact.

Paul