The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IO160 to IQ260 thoughts?

Pemihan

Paul, just to be sure - what you are referring to is when you have underexposed shadows you want to pull right?
When making a normal say 60 second exposure at twilight with no need for shadow pull it's another matter?

Peter

We all see things differently for sure. I see no way the shadow recovery of the 260 comes close to the 250. Even at base ISO. Pull the shadows and the overall loss of details is most noticeable. Not any difference in LEM either trust me I had really hoped that LEM at ISO 140 would be special I did not find that to be the case. If shot in bright to normal light or used with a longer exposure time and the 260 does an excellent job. Need 1/125 (on a tech camera) or faster shutter speed and again unless you are in good light the details are just not there.Take it to ISO 200 and any shadow recovery is pretty lack of details the CCD Nust did not get enough light. Believe me I wish it wasn't this way but it's a characteristic of CCD.

This is my perspective after 3 years with either 160 or 260 all on a tech camera. Using a DSLR body may may a difference since you have so much more control of shutter speeds i.e. 1/3 and 1/2 stops and a much more accurate speed on full stops. Not 1/90th when set to 1/60th or 1/350th when set to 1/250th as I tend to see on all my copals.

Obviously others opinions will differ.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks Graham, maybe a dumb question but I suppose the original exposure continue regardless of the nag screen?

Peter
Yes, it still continues. The problem is only if you are using the back to display the seconds timer because you lose it to the nag screen and the only way to dismiss it is to press ok which obviously you aren't going to do. It wouldn't be such a pain in the *** if it auto dismissed after a couple of seconds.

With respect to iq260 shadows vs iq250/150 shadows in long exposure - Paul is correct that it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. However, that knife isn't blunt by any means ... But it does get spanked by CMOS.

(Sorry I was adamant about not getting pulled into a CMOS love fest ... :facesmack: )

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I've had no doubt the CMOS is better than the CCD for long exposure. However, everything comes with the price.
At least to me, it's not well worth it to jump at the early stage of CMOS revolution in MFDB. It's still not a full frame. For landscape photography, at least to me, this is a reflag especially when I've invested in very expensive wide angle lenses and won't be able to maximize their capacity with less than full frame. I've strongly believe the best is yet to come for MFDB-CMOS. In the mean time, I've had to learn how to live in the shadow of CCD :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All good arguments here but just from a resale or upgrade position and leaving CMOS out of the equation for a moment. If there is no cost or very low cost going 160 to 260 than I would jump all over it for the simple reason its a newer back. It will have better upgrade opportunist and resale will be much stronger at least in the newer back area. Just this alone is a no brainer if no real money is involved. If upgrading later to say FF CMOS chip the 260 will have more value than the 160. Or at least easier to resell.

Pemihan

Thank you guys. Makes sense to make the change also just for the resale/upgrade position.
Now I just need to decide whether I should jump on the 260 or go for Pradeep's 180 instead :angel:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Peter...Just a thought. I've been following your photography and really admired your passion and dedication to B&W photography. You're the closest to me at GetDPI for the love of B&W. You haven't had much interest in long exposure, as far as I've observed.
To me, it's no brainer to go with the IQ180 (unless you've had an upgrade to the 260 for free). Why do you need an upgrade for the IQ180 when the quality of the images is equal to 8x10 B&W? The IQ180 guarantees the top quality of 44" prints. I don't need bigger prints! I can reassure you the shadow from the IQ180 for the B&W 44"-print is very fine.
When I get older with numerous responsibilities (family, academia, practices etc.), I've learnt to live like there is no tomorrow. It works somewhat and makes me feel happier. If I died today, my kids will certainly finish their colleges and collect the life insurance :) The price of IQ180 has fallen far enough.
People has forgotten making good pictures is more of dedication and creativity rather than pixel size. Lots of people were disappointed that their expectations were not met. I was the early acquirer of the IQ180 and cannot thank Phase One and Chris Snipes enough! This is the best thing for my photography although it comes with a hugh price :)
To be honest, I don't need the CMOS for my B&W photography unless I've got a great deal for an upgrade from my IQ260. I've learnt how to be patient.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If it were me, with all things being equal financially, and didn't need longer than 2 minutes exposure, I'd be all over an IQ180 vs IQ260 just for the image quality and tonality of the 80mp sensor.

Another $0.02.

Pemihan

Well the pot just got stirred now, my own damn fault I guess :cry:

Pramote, do you by any chance have any files with the 180 and Rodenstock 40HR you could share via Dropbox or similar (RAWs) straight on and with about 10mm left/right shift?
Would really like to test how it behaves with my processing style..

Peter

Last edited:

kdphotography

In a nutshell:

IQ260: if you really need longer exposure capabilities. Resale potential.
IQ180: top image quality and tonality. IQ180 allows for shooting at ISO35. Slightly larger file with Sensor+

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Well the pot just got stirred now, my own damn fault I guess :cry:

Pramote, do you by any have any files with the 180 and Rodenstock 40HR you could share via Dropbox (RAWs) straight on and with about 10mm left/right shift?
Would really like to test how it behaves with my processing style..

Peter
The time frame did not match as I traded the IQ180 to IQ260 and then just bought the 180 back several months ago. I bought the 40mm HR when I've had the IQ260 and haven't used that much with the IQ180. I can certainly take new ones for you this weekend or even earlier. I haven't used Drop Box for a long time too.
I know Ken has been using IQ180 and 40HR for a very long time. I think he can provide you files right away.

Pemihan

No worries Pramote..

Keeeeen? :angel:

I sent Don a PM as well as he have the same combo..

The time frame did not match as I traded the IQ180 to IQ260 and then just bought the 180 back several months ago. I bought the 40mm HR when I've had the IQ260 and haven't used that much with the IQ180. I can certainly take new ones for you this weekend or even earlier. I haven't used Drop Box for a long time too.
I know Ken has been using IQ180 and 40HR for a very long time. I think he can provide you files right away.

Guy Mancuso

From memory the 180 over my 160. More DR and the tonality of the 180 was much smoother in the transition areas. Obviously it has shift issues with certain lenses as we know but if your running all Rodies than not a issue. It's a great back for sure. Also buying from a forum member is always nice for our community here at GetDPI but you still have to consider trade value down the line but if IQ is the end goal the 180 has it in spades.

Guy Mancuso

Having said all that I adored my 160 and wish I still had it actually I just flat out miss MF but no funds to do that anymore. Things have not settled down here at the household we are still fighting the health issues.

Pemihan

Guy, I have 40HR, SK60XL, SK120 Aspheric and SK150.

I too love the 160, the only reason I began thinking upgrades was the possibility to move to the 260 basically for free. Then the upgrade bug and Pradeep's 180 came along. :banghead:

I'm sorry to hear you still have health issues in the household, all by best wishes to your wife and your self!

Peter

From memory the 180 over my 160. More DR and the tonality of the 180 was much smoother in the transition areas. Obviously it has shift issues with certain lenses as we know but if your running all Rodies than not a issue. It's a great back for sure. Also buying from a forum member is always nice for our community here at GetDPI but you still have to consider trade value down the line but if IQ is the end goal the 180 has it in spades.