The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Initial Impressions :IQ260 from Hasselblad H5D40

triangle

Hello

As I have spent a lot of time reading these forums, I thought it appropriate to give something back. Thank you all for the information and debate :)

So, here goes. About two weeks I swapped over my Hasselblad H5D40 for an IQ260, 40-80mm SK lens, ALPA STC and Rodi 32mm HR. The ALPA and Rodi are on their way. This is just a couple of weeks' experience and just my initial impressions.

Why I swapped - Longer exposures (4min Hassy vs 60min PhaseOne); full frame; better screen; better camera workflow; CaptureOne support; more pixels.

What I found - Long exposures requiring a dark frame is a pain in the arse. Over the Hassy, I don't see any noise improvement but perhaps that's the price of a 60mp sensor.

Full frame -Yep, it's a huge and amazing change. The image perspective is amazing.

Better screen - Yep, the Hassy screen and UI are not so good.

Camera Workflow - Interesting. The PhaseOne is much more powerful but adds more time and scope for stuffing up, as a result. The Hassy workflow is much, much simpler. It's a film vs DSLR choice, I think. I like both.

Capture One - For the Hassy you must use Phocus for the best results, CaptureOne for the PhaseOne. Neither camera systems are compatible with each other's RAW processor. I've used Phocus for a year and CaptureOne for two weeks and CaptureOne destroys Phocus. I would do 20% of my processing in Phocus and the balance in Photoshop but with CaptureOne, it is the opposite. RAW files are way more pliable and this is an unexpectedly significant benefit.

More pixels - Makes a difference :)

Overall - Very happy.

So, hope of interest.

I've attached a shot from the IQ260.

A :)

Last edited:

jagsiva

For me, C1 is the game changer when comparing MFDBs. I think you'll be quite pleased with the 32HR/Alpa kit as well, can't wait for you to post some images.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

kdphotography

Congratulations on the new kit. You certainly *ahem* did not hold back. Dante is most pleased. :D

Please let us know more about your experiences with the new SK 40-80. Information (real world) is thin.

ken

triangle

Congratulations on the new kit. You certainly *ahem* did not hold back. Dante is most pleased. :D

Please let us know more about your experiences with the new SK 40-80. Information (real world) is thin.

ken
Punished my mortgage something terrible. You've only got one shot, after all :) Alpa and Rodi arrive tomorrow. I'll post in due time.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Camera Workflow - Interesting. The PhaseOne is much more powerful but adds more time and scope for stuffing up, as a result. The Hassy workflow is much, much simpler. It's a film vs DSLR choice, I think. I like both.
Can you expand on this? What pros/cons do you see and what suggestions do you have for future phase bodies?

triangle

Can you expand on this? What pros/cons do you see and what suggestions do you have for future phase bodies?
This is probably more a comment about me, Doug, than the camera body and back. When I switched from DSLR to the Hassy I had a very hard time adjusting to the simplistic camera features ie. far less functionality. In time, I adjusted and found that my workflow became very, very quick - focus, set aperture and shutter and shoot. With the Phase, it's a bit like going back to a DSLR - far more interaction with the back screen, more options, the requirement to enter LE mode for long exposures, the obligation to check the focus mask, the ability to set in-image white balance via the screen etc.

If I could change anything, I would like a far more prominent indication that I am in LE mode. I keep forgetting that.

I must say, though, that the camera feels like a quantum leap ahead. Far more sophisticated. I might be a bit in love.

Nice choices Andrew, look forward to hearing your opinion on the lenses too, I'll be making a similar purchase later in the year also having come from a Hasselblad 40, did you go through Team Digital or L&P?

tjv

It's interesting that you prefer the Mamiya body. I feel the extreme oposite, although I much prefer the interface of the Phase One backs. Hassey is quite behind in that area, I think.

As for the software, I don't mind Phocus, although admittedly I have not used it to process hundred of images at a time. In fact I find Phocus quite intuitive. I also like that Hasselblad works with Adobe to get better performance with their files in Lightroom, which is my preferred editing and file management software. It's not quite as good as using Phocus, but it's nearly there in most cases.

I have not owned either system, just rented and borrowed when I've needed them. For me it's a kind of Ford Vs. Holden thing (I see you're in Australia!) as both produce stunning products. If I wanted to go top shelf for my needs though, I'd get the same IQ260 you've got. No question about it! Looking forward to seeing some images made with your new kit.

triangle

Nice choices Andrew, look forward to hearing your opinion on the lenses too, I'll be making a similar purchase later in the year also having come from a Hasselblad 40, did you go through Team Digital or L&P?
Hi Will

I went through Team Digital who then went through L&P. Fantastic service and the trade in value on the Hassleblad exceeded what I paid for it and the one lens I traded.

Both lenses are better than I had hoped. The SK 40-80mm is sharp most of the way through the range but loses a bit at the long end, as you'd expect. Colour rendition is excellent, better than the 50-100mm Hassy lens. I've really
only messed around with the Rodi on the ALPA but it is amazing based on early experience. I'll post a sample in the next few days as just back from Dunsbourgh an hour ago.

A :)

will have to contact Ben then I think, I sold my Hassy but still have one lens, look forward to seeing the photos I love it down there! better colour rendition than the Hasselblad is saying something!

Pemihan

Andrew, you have an obligation to give us a detailed review of the SK 40-80 including ample sample pics at 40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75 and 80mm :lecture:

:worthless:

tjv

Haha, I love it. You forgot to mention at all apertures (1/3 stops) and multiple focus distances!

triangle

LOL ... I'll get round to it and post some images at varying focal lengths. Work is very busy at the moment which is unfortunate timing. I wold rather be out with my new gear!