The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Complete Cambo Actus Spec

jlm

Workshop Member
couple of personal confirmations, using my actus, my Alpa lens adapter and my WRS lens adapter.

23mm Alpa would focus at infinity; 210mm long barrel Alpa would focus at infinity and 24" using the standard two-fold bellows. also any alpa lenses in between: tried the 72Rmm, 150R, 60mm Alpa. this was all with the standard monorail. admittedly the 210 was out there for the close focus , and the bellows was at it's limit of stretch, but it worked

with the 32mm in the WRS, could not reach infinity focus before the standards came together, suggesting the wide angle limit with the WRS is larger than 32mm. no problem with the alpa mount as noted.

in my flat lens board, (not the combo recessed board) the 32mm R and 60mm SK would reach infinity.

also i saw no way to raise the lens standard as Cambo suggests can be done with their lens boards. it might be possible by simply putting a second countersink in the mount, but it was not so with the cambo boards I had

Jim,

Since I don't own any Alpa or Cambo mounted lenses, I was more interested to see how a native lens with standard or your flat lens board will work. Native lenses definitely will reduce the overall cost of the system, so I was looking from that angle.
Subrata

Subrata

f8orbust

Thanks for the link to the PDF.

Looks like Cambo have produced their own WRS (ACB-WRS) and Alpa (ACB-ALP) adapter plates. No A/S one though (yet).

jlm

Workshop Member
re the sinar P method. as i recall, it works for tilts and swings on the rear standard. the mechanics of the base placed the axes of rotation in the film plane but offset to 1/3 across the ground glass. the idea being you would pick a point in your image on that axis line and set focus; then just tilt (swing) until other relevant parts of the image came into focus.

of course perspective changes as you rotate the lens plane.

seems like they suggested you do the movements with the lens plane and record them, the restore the lens plane to plumb and otherwise square and then set the same angles on the front standard.

that sound right?

RodK

Of course, if he wanted to, John could build his own Actus ... Hmm, how about one with an asynchronous rocker tilt like Sinar? :thumbup:
Actually, the Arca-Swiss Universalis has MicroOrbix tilt, which is yaw free and
geared. Yet weighs just over 2 lbs. Nothing extra to buy. If one already has an RM3di system, there is an adapter board accepting the R Bayonet lenses.
It is also multi-format with format kits for DSLR, MF, and even 4x5, available.
Also geared rise fall on both standards, Geared shift on rear, and dynamic swing on front.
Rod

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Rod,

So many great choices these days. The biggest challenge is having mounted lenses which often ties you to particular solutions. Mine are all Alpa mount so it would take a true Universalis that accepted an Alpa mount to tempt me since I can't afford another set of lenses even on flat lens boards.

Btw, I really hate my iPhone spell checker - asymmetric became asynchronous somehow ...

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I just wish that Cambo will come up with a battery supported MF focal plane shutter for the Actus, like it happens (shortly) with the universalis... It will be a pity to leave multishot shooters unsupported.

jlm

Workshop Member
i don't see why you couldn't fit the arca shutter unit to the front standard of the combo; there is an actus adapter for that.

then you would only need and adapter to fit non-arca mount lenses to the shutter...hmm!

T.Dascalos

Not Available
i don't see why you couldn't fit the arca shutter unit to the front standard of the combo; there is an actus adapter for that.

then you would only need and adapter to fit non-arca mount lenses to the shutter...hmm!
The use of a focal plane shutter on the rear standard would allow one to use some MF lenses (of wide image circle) on the front standard in case he wants to integrate the Actus with his MF system.