The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Camera Stitching & Tripod Head

marktomaras

I'm using a Cambo WRS AE, IQ 160, and the excellent, huge image circle 120mm ASPH lens to create ultrahigh resolution stitched files by moving the digital back only.

My tripod until recently was an older Gitzo series two aluminum. The head is a manfrotto 410.

The problem is when I use the gear knobs on the camera to shift the back, the whole assembly and ultimately the lens moves and wiggles a little bit. I realized that the series two tripod was not up to the job so I switched it to a series 3 Mountaineer in carbon fiber. This was a nice improvement, but there still is a little wiggle to deal with .

As much as I like the 410 gear head, it does have some play. It is superb add dialing in a shot when I'm not going to stitch. But now I need a tripod head that will absolutely freeze the camera while I use the gear knobs to shift the back around.

Of course I've thought about the Arca Cube, but have yet to try one. Is the cube the way to go for a tripod head that will absolutely freeze my camera in place? What about a simple tilt pan head? Regardless of design style what head will absolutely freeze my equipment in place?

Thank you!
Mark

thomas

depends a bit on what the head should be capable of. I for one shoot my WRS only fully straightened and leveled (I don't tilit and/or swing the camera on the tripod).
There is a dedicated Leveling Base for the Cambo WRS which feels and looks like a "natural" extension of the camera. It's a perfect match for the WRS and mine is always attched to the camera: http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item21632.html
It is certainly the best tool to level the WRS and it is super rigid. But, again, it is limited in use.
For leveling and full tilt/swing capabilites of the head the Arca Cube is outstanding, of course. Personally I've favored the Acra D4 (geared) over the Cube. I use the D4 for my other cameras. But of course I've also tried the WRS on it and it works just great.
If you are going to spend that much money on a tripod head I would at least compare the Cube to the D4 before you order one...

tjv

I just got hold of a almost mint, ex-demo Linhof 3D micro head through Linhof & Studio at a substantial (read almost unbelievable) discount due to Linhof recently changing the pan locking mechanism on this series of head. I'm pretty sure they had a few there to sell, if you like that option maybe you could try them?

So far, I'm very impressed with the head. Bullet proof construction and ultra-accurate. More than I hoped for, espeially because the 12 degress on each axis doesn't bother me for my work. My one criticism is that I bought the Arca-Swill dovetail version – as it was cheaper, not because I necessarily wanted that attachment – and the pan lock and QR lock/release knobs can be easily confused if you don't have your witts about you. I haven't made the mistake of unlocking the wrong one yet, but I think this must have been the the main reason they changed the pan mechanism.

For the record, I have no affiliation with Linhof & Studio other than being a long time happy customer. And they are certainly cheaper than buying through a US dealership.

I shoot panos all the time. I use the Cube and I would now be lost without it. It takes seconds to level the head and once levelled you can rotate to tweak the composition knowing you are always level. Ditto for rotational panoramics. The head remains level as you rotate. Well worth the investment

marktomaras

Thanks for the reply!
If the cost was identical, would you prefer the cube or the d4, if you could only have one head?

Paul2660

Another head to consider is the geared D4 also by Arca. A bit less in price than the cube, but it also will allow the rotation around the top of the head, once level.

Really Right Stuff, has components that can be added to the BH-55 which allow the same effect, however they don't have a geared head to my knowledge.

When working with a tech camera, the gearing of the D4 to allow the final adjustments is invaluable, also you can do this with one hand where as with a normal head, one hand has to be on the camera, the other on the locking knob. With the D4, you can keep you eye on the view as it changes, this is even more impressive with a true live view capable back.

Paul

vjbelle

I resisted buying the Cube for years. After reading all the reviews I could find - some comparing it to the Linhof 3D - I bit the bullet. I have no regrets..... fast and easy to use whether you pan or shift the camera. Can't recommend it enough..... I would, though, only recommend buying it with the standard quick release and not the flip lever. I can't recommend any flip lever from any manufacturer.

Victor

kdphotography

Imho, the AS Cube sets the standard for a geared tripod head. But it's also expensive and heavy.

I've found a new head that works exceptional well. I've had the chance to work with it for about six weeks now, including at CI in Tahoe. My review is positive. I'd suggest also considering the KPS T5 geared ballhead. Essentially all the advantages of a ballhead, and with the ability to make small adjustments like a geared head. A less expensive and lighter alternative. I plan on buying one to work with my Cube. And the manufacturer has agreed to sell the T5 without a top clamp (no red loctite) so photographers can choose their own clamp!

ken

Chris Valites

The Arca-Swiss Cube is one of our most highly sought after products. We recommend them to every one of our tech cam clients shooting outdoors, and I've yet to hear anyone complain about the results they get with them.

I hear you talked to Chris Snipes about it, and we'd love to help you out if you have any more questions.

thomas

Thanks for the reply!
If the cost was identical, would you prefer the cube or the d4, if you could only have one head?
are you referring to "tjv", "Enda Cavanagh" or me?
If you are asking me my buying decision in favor for the D4 over the Cube was not related to the price in any way. I do like the handling of the D4 better. Both heads are exeptionally well built devices and, again, you should compare them by yourself.
If I'd shoot a lot with extensions (to support long tele lenses or so) I'd maybe go for the Cube. But I don't. I do use the D4 for pano work with my medium format SLR camera, though ... which is also relatively heavy and needs very rigid support when mounted vertically on pano rails. No problems so far with the D4.
IMHO you can't go wrong with either of the two... it's more a matter of personal preferences.

fmueller

I have a Manfrotto 410. It exhibited some "play" also and and couldn't believe this was quite right. It wasn't.

If I recall correctly, I had to carefully peel off one of the circular plastic decals to get to a bolt that needed tightening and that fixed it. I'm not at home to take a closer look at the head to give you more exact instructions but I'll do that and post it later tomorrow if you need it.

Fred

I'm using a Cambo WRS AE, IQ 160, and the excellent, huge image circle 120mm ASPH lens to create ultrahigh resolution stitched files by moving the digital back only.

My tripod until recently was an older Gitzo series two aluminum. The head is a manfrotto 410.

The problem is when I use the gear knobs on the camera to shift the back, the whole assembly and ultimately the lens moves and wiggles a little bit. I realized that the series two tripod was not up to the job so I switched it to a series 3 Mountaineer in carbon fiber. This was a nice improvement, but there still is a little wiggle to deal with .

As much as I like the 410 gear head, it does have some play. It is superb add dialing in a shot when I'm not going to stitch. But now I need a tripod head that will absolutely freeze the camera while I use the gear knobs to shift the back around.

Of course I've thought about the Arca Cube, but have yet to try one. Is the cube the way to go for a tripod head that will absolutely freeze my camera in place? What about a simple tilt pan head? Regardless of design style what head will absolutely freeze my equipment in place?

Thank you!
Mark

marktomaras

Thank you all for the replies. They are each quite helpful. One thing I have not seen in the replies however is a mention about the real need - ultra frozen in space camera! Perhaps that is a given, and the Cube as well as the Arca D4, and the other head or two that was mentioned all have the ability to completely freeze the camera better than my Manfrotto. (though fmueller's post about fixing the manfrotto has inspired me, and I will try that today)

As an experiment, I connected the camera directly to the legs. Of course, this is not a convenient solution, but it did certainly make for a stable camera.

So, beyond the convenience and the user experience of operating the heads, can you comment more on the experience you have had with the stability of the recommended heads, specifically when making adjustments such as the geared back movements on the Cambo, or perhaps similar - the movements on a view camera?

thanks again!
Mark

marktomaras

The Arca-Swiss Cube is one of our most highly sought after products. We recommend them to every one of our tech cam clients shooting outdoors, and I've yet to hear anyone complain about the results they get with them.

I hear you talked to Chris Snipes about it, and we'd love to help you out if you have any more questions.
Thanks Chris, yes indeed, I spoke to Chris Snipes yesterday. I love that guy! He always gives me so much of his time, experience, and explanations. He must be a valued member of the Capture Integration team. He mentioned that he may be able to bring me a Cube to demo next time he is in Miami, and that may be just what I need.

In your opinion, is there a stability difference between the cube and the D4? I will need a head that has the ability to handle a tech cam with 120mm lens, or, a Phase DF+ body and potentially a 300mm lens (which I don't have yet, but it is on my radar)

thanks,
Mark

kdphotography

The Cube will provide a more stable platform than the D4.

KPS T5 geared ballhead is very stable with an 88 pound capacity. I've used it with Cambo WRS and Phase DF. I have the Cube, but was looking for a lighter geared alternative for my RRS TVC24 tripod. The T5 is half a pound lighter than the Cube, yet every bit as stable. The T5 is not inexpensive, but still half the price of the Cube. Quality is on par with RRS and AS.

ken

marktomaras

Update: Tried to fix the Manfrotto 410 and remove the wiggle in the gears. I disassembled the head completely, cleaned and regressed it, and reassembled it. I have heard people say it has plastic gears - this is not the case. It is quite solid, and all metal. Alas, after spending an hour to do this operation, my 410 still has a little wiggle. As I said, it is a fine head, just not for moving a digital back around on a tech camera and expecting the camera to be perfectly frozen. Oh well. Looks like I will be trying a cube!

Chris Valites

Thanks Chris, yes indeed, I spoke to Chris Snipes yesterday. I love that guy! He always gives me so much of his time, experience, and explanations. He must be a valued member of the Capture Integration team. He mentioned that he may be able to bring me a Cube to demo next time he is in Miami, and that may be just what I need.

In your opinion, is there a stability difference between the cube and the D4? I will need a head that has the ability to handle a tech cam with 120mm lens, or, a Phase DF+ body and potentially a 300mm lens (which I don't have yet, but it is on my radar)

thanks,
Mark
Both are good heads, as they're both geared. We have a lot more customers go for the Cube because of the advantages in the zero shift in rotating around the lens nodal point, but to satisfy your needs for stability, the D4 is not as stable in our experience as the Arca Swiss Cube

tjv

I had the oportunity to hold the Cube and Linhof / Alpa 3D head and went with the Linhof, for what it's worth. A combination of the things Steve has mentioned, and the price Paula offered it to me for.

tjv

Not sure, to be honest. If anyone would know though it'd be Paula at Linhof Studio.

One thing I will say about the Linhof head is that unless you're price sensitive like me, I'd definately go for the updated version with the newer type pan locking mechnaism, especially if you want the Arca dovetail fit.

Is it possible to replace the clamp on the Linhof 3D head with a RRS clamp?