The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Camera Stitching & Tripod Head

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have a menagerie of heads including the Cube, D4, Z1g (giant) and Z1g+.

I choose the Cube as my main head and mount it on my most solid tripod legs (SS5561GT) but it's relatively heavy and bulky. It is also susceptible to dust/dirt in the field and so you need to keep it clean and lubed. Also, you must lock the head/base rotation for optimum stability if panning because there typically is some play in the head otherwise. Once locked it's rock solid.

The D4 is my smaller lighter geared travel head that I typically mount on my RRS 3 series tripod. It has the advantage of being significantly lighter and easier to keep clean plus in my experience is just as stable as the Cube. The ability to make quicker adjustments by releasing the locks and then fine adjustments using the gearing is really handy. It is a better balanced solution on lighter tripod legs too.

The Z1g+ is definitely the smallest head and if I want to travel and use a ball head then it's a great solution. Being a ball head though it is harder for me to get level but the rotational top plate works just as well as the Cube/D4 once in position.

At home I have a Z1G giant ball head. It is immensely stable once locked but it is the size of a sledgehammer head and weighs about the same. I used to use it with my giant tripod but it'll give you a work out if you carry it far plus upsets the balance of the tripod when hiking with it collapsed and the head on the top. However, when locked in place it's as solid as a rock. It now stays at home on a steel systematic tripod and I only use it indoors. However, there is no more stable beast.

The clamps are a personal preference. I actually like the Arca Swiss quick release over the RRS clamps but that's just because I've become accustomed to them plus they give me some element of adjustability if I need it such as when using a non-RRS plate. The RRS lever clamps have zero adjustment. I have some screw clamps and they obviously work well - if you're a klutz in the dark at 0'dark thirty you just have to make sure you don't unclamp the head vs adjusting your tilt etc. (hey, I realize that's just me .... )

Paul2660

I have never used a cube but have the D4 geared and use it on my RRS carbon tripod with no problems. To me very stable, can get wet, gearing is very solid. Still have the cube on my would like one day list however.

Paul

Geoff

I had the oportunity to hold the Cube and Linhof / Alpa 3D head and went with the Linhof, for what it's worth. A combination of the things Steve has mentioned, and the price Paula offered it to me for.
Have this as well, and very fond of it. You just set it up so that the knob that opens the dovetail is always on one side…. A favorite piece of kit, just a bit heavy to take on air trips….

GrahamWelland

Have this as well, and very fond of it. You just set it up so that the knob that opens the dovetail is always on one side…. A favorite piece of kit, just a bit heavy to take on air trips….
If you think that the diminutive Linhof is heavy then you'll find the Cube an enormous boat anchor.

tjv

If you think that the diminutive Linhof is heavy then you'll find the Cube an enormous boat anchor.
I certainly did when I held them, one in each hand. The Linhof is very robust, too. Never heard anyone with problems with sand, water etc.

GrahamWelland

Don't get me wrong regarding the cube and dust/sand etc. If you enjoy the silky smooth operation of the head you'll want to keep it absolutely clean. Do that and it's as smooth as silk. Don't do it and it'll get 'crunchy' or tighter than beautifully smooth. There will be more resistance in the knobs than normal.

Even when dirty it's still 10x better than a RRS BH-55 in terms of smoothness.

Ken_R

I'm using a Cambo WRS AE, IQ 160, and the excellent, huge image circle 120mm ASPH lens to create ultrahigh resolution stitched files by moving the digital back only.

My tripod until recently was an older Gitzo series two aluminum. The head is a manfrotto 410.

The problem is when I use the gear knobs on the camera to shift the back, the whole assembly and ultimately the lens moves and wiggles a little bit. I realized that the series two tripod was not up to the job so I switched it to a series 3 Mountaineer in carbon fiber. This was a nice improvement, but there still is a little wiggle to deal with .

As much as I like the 410 gear head, it does have some play. It is superb add dialing in a shot when I'm not going to stitch. But now I need a tripod head that will absolutely freeze the camera while I use the gear knobs to shift the back around.

Of course I've thought about the Arca Cube, but have yet to try one. Is the cube the way to go for a tripod head that will absolutely freeze my camera in place? What about a simple tilt pan head? Regardless of design style what head will absolutely freeze my equipment in place?

Thank you!
Mark
First off. With any setup there can always be some play or slight movement of the camera between on exposure and another if you touch the setup at all. That is normal IMHO. Only a studio stand can eliminate this. On the field it is very tough.

That said I have gotten great results with a Series 3 Gitzo Carbon and a RRS BH55 head with panning clamp. This provides a great, level, platform for shooting. It is quite rock solid. Similar setups provide similar results. What a head like the Cube does is make leveling the platform easier and more precise. With the ballhead one needs to look at the bubble level, loosen the main knob, level the bubble level as best one can and tighten the knob. When tightening the knob there might be slight changes in level but once tight I have found the BH55 stays put. With the Cube, just like your geared head, the head is always tight, ready to support the load, even when adjusting so once you adjust it it stays put. The Cube is arguably the best at this.

RodK

Is the Arca Swiss Z1, Z1g, or Z2 worth considering here? Are they possibly more solid and stable than the cube?
The Z2+ head is more stable though not geared. However in contrast to normal ball heads it has a separate locking knobs for both Horizontal and Vertical movements. You can also leave both knobs loose and it will feel like a traditional ball head.
It's leverage weight capacity is 140lbs.
It is still a bit heavy, but extremely sturdy. It also comes with top pan for stitching etc.

Rod

Last edited:

RodK

By the way the Linhof 3d head is approximately the same weight if not more.
2.17 lbs verses 2.04 for the Cube.
Both without plates.
Rod

marktomaras

Thanks Again everyone. I am relatively new to forums in general, and I think it is remarkable how many people spend time helping others in search of information. My hat is off to you all (if I wore a hat regularly, this would be more meaningful :)

I think I am looking now at the Arca Swiss D4 and the mostly unheard of KPS T5. Both seem excellent, the price range is high but not astronomical, the size allows the head to stay attached to my Gitzo 3542L legs and fit in my padded gitzo tripod bag, and both offer me the great functionality of both ball and gear head, so I can get one great head to handle all of my needs.

I plan on testing both heads side by side, and see which has the greater stability and greater user experience. I will be sure to report my findings back here.

Thanks for Ken Doo for recommending the T5! It is quite a product as far as I can tell from the reviews and videos that I saw. I think the showdown between the T5 & D4 will be very interesting - looking forward to it!

- Mark

LonnaTucker

No one has mentioned that top panning is essential for accurate rotational stitching. Arca-Swiss have this capability even on the smallest and most affordable P0 series monoball heads. Double pan, meaning the tripod head pans at the base of the head for rough composition and then separately pans at the top of the head for fine tuning of composition or for panning the head for stitching multiple frames for panoramic work. Once you level the camera on an Arca-Swiss double pan head, the top pan will keep the camera level through the panning.

The T5 doesn't offer top pan and it's design looks tallish. Any error in leveling at the base will be transferred up and it will be difficult to keep the head level when panning. Also why not state their load capacity?.. their specs only say "very high load capacity"

And -- honestly, is 2 pounds really that heavy for a head with the features and stability of the cube? While the Linhof might be slightly "smaller", it's heavier and has a restricted range of movement, for instance the model I tried would not tip down for a vertical shot. I believe these were designed as the base for Linhof's top of the line view cameras with the idea that the front or back standard would be capable of the remaining movement needed for table top work.

With that said, I do use a D4 for hiking with the camera. It's an all purpose head, very quick to use (clutch controls for fast X and Y separate movements as well as the gear driven fine tuning controls and double pan). It is more than stable enough for any tech camera use.

LonnaTucker

No one has mentioned that top panning is essential for accurate rotational stitching. Arca-Swiss have this capability even on the smallest and most affordable P0 series monoball heads. Double pan, meaning the tripod head pans at the base of the head for rough composition and then separately pans at the top of the head for fine tuning of composition or for panning the head for stitching multiple frames for panoramic work. Once you level the camera on an Arca-Swiss double pan head, the top pan will keep the camera level through the panning.

The T5 doesn't offer top pan and it's design looks tallish. Any error in leveling at the base will be transferred up and it will be difficult to keep the head level when panning. Also why not state their load capacity?.. their specs only say "very high load capacity"

And -- honestly, is 2 pounds really that heavy for a head with the features and stability of the cube? While the Linhof might be slightly "smaller", it's heavier and has a restricted range of movement, for instance the model I tried would not tip down for a vertical shot. I believe these were designed as the base for Linhof's top of the line view cameras with the idea that the front or back standard would be capable of the remaining movement needed for table top work.

With that said, I do use a D4 for hiking with the camera. It's an all purpose head, very quick to use (clutch controls for fast X and Y separate movements as well as the gear driven fine tuning controls and double pan). It is more than stable enough for any tech camera use.

kdphotography

The KPS T5 has a 44mm ball with a load capacity of 88 lbs.

The T5 is available for purchase without a clamp, allowing you to attach a clamp of your preference, i.e., Screw knob or RRS Lever release. If you want a panning clamp, you can simply attach one on top. I found a decent panning top clamp and will be putting that on my T5.

On a smaller/lighter set of legs such as a RRS TVC 24, the weight of the Cube is an issue and the tripod feels top heavy. The T5 is a better match with a lighter set of legs.

ken

kdphotography

There are only a few choices in panning clamps since it appears that RRS has discontinued their panning clamp (only available with a dovetail). I only have found one that has a quick lever release, by Heather Photographic, out of the UK. It seems pretty good so far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151273891316?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have one of the discontinued RRS panning clamps too----with a screw knob, and haven't yet decided if I'll keep it or sell it. I originally bought it with the universal leveling base as a compact tripod head solution.

kdphotography

Hi Steve, I saw that screw mount on the RRS panning clamp, but this new version isn't available without, or rather you can't remove the dovetail. While it's possible to mount it as a "top-clamp" it isn't as nice and pretty sitting flush as the previous RRS version. The previous version was nice, clean and flat on the bottom, except for the receiving female notch for the ball stem. Pretty counts, right? :D

ken