The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cube care and Lubrication

jlm

Workshop Member
finished up me cube and can pass along some info:

i completely dismantled mine, (not so easy, as arca took some design shortcuts making assembly easier than dis-assembly) i added a few holes so some buried screws are now accessible and replaced some pesky little e-clips with a setscrew to retain two tiny little shafts. my cube was an early model with slippery knobs using 2 O-rings on each knob for grip. i replaced those with homemade knurled knobs...

tweaked the fit of all the arc'd sliding parts and applied a thin grease to only those areas and the bearing areas for the drive shafts (left the actual gear rack dry, as i don't want grease there to collect grit.)

also to the base tilt mechanism sliding surfaces, which slides back and forth as you add the major base tilt

the friction wheels now work perfectly; turning them to the (-) direction simply disengages any additional braking. turning to the (+) direction all the way starts to put pressure on the nylon brake shoe which presses on the 1/2" wide arc'd surface, eventually enough pressure to hold it as a lock. no lubrication on the braking surfaces!

jlm

Workshop Member
never got around to posting a picture of my highly modded cube:
special bubble levels, much more precise
rotation top plane dead square to levels for 360 degrees;
bronze knurled and patinaed knobs never slippery, no rubber bits;
completely dismantled, all guideways lapped in and lubed;
tension +/- knobs now work: the action is so good, that when loose, with a firm movement, you can push through the arcs, spinning the knobs as it goes. then you can tighten the tension gripper as you see fit.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Those adjustment knobs look a lot better functionally than the rubber covered ones on my Cube. I had one of the ribbed rubber grips break on mine and I'm currently awaiting delivery of a replacement (Contact Rod klukas / Precision Camera Works for replacements).