The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need help with pricing a P30+ kit

I'm *considering* selling my Phase One setup, but need help with finding a realistic value for it, so any input you can give me will be appreciated :) This is NOT a for sale thread, I just need help with realistic expectations. I'm located in Iceland where the market for digital medium format is non-existant, and I've been using eBay, KEH, GetDpi & FredMiranda to try and create a price-awareness in my head for this setup, but P30+ backs are incredibly rare, few sales to give me pricing ideas. If you prefer, a private message with an opinion on prices would be great too. I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this thread and if I am, I apologise and expect this thread to be removed without further notice :)

What I have is the following, most bought in Iceland at the local Phase One dealer:

Phase One P30+ with around 40k clicks on it, great condition, 4 batteries. ($4000)
Phase One 645DF camera ($1100)
Schneider-Kreuznach 80mm f/2.8 LS ($1100)
Phase One 35mm f/3.5 AF ($1100)
Mamiya 120mm Macro f/4 manual focus with digital contacts ($900)
Mamiya 210mm f/4 ULD AF ($500)
Mamiya 80mm f/1.9N manual focus ($450)
Mamiya 150mm /3.5N manual focus ($100)

All of the above lenses are in mint or great condition, and I have both the Phase One hard case for the back+body+lens, and a Phase-One labelled shoulderbag. I put the prices I think are in the right ballpark in ( ), but need confirmation or tips from people with better price awareness than mine :)

Thanks for reading, and return I'll give you this pretty photo of a recent snowing here in Iceland shot with the P30+ and 210mm f/4 ULD lens. Thanks to global warming and slowing of the gulf stream, summer is arriving rather late.

f8orbust

Being in Iceland can help/hinder you. Not much competition, but equally, not much (local) demand.

Digitalback.com want $5490 for a used P30+ (65k clicks). I generally use the 25:25 rule: Buy used - I want 25% less than retail. Buy privately - I want 25% less than from a dealer. So, 75% of $5490 = $4100. Also, the last P30+ that sold on eBay went for $4k, so your price of $4k would seem to be about right.

Remember, you can buy a used IQ180 with VAW for ~$15k, so keep your expectations realistic (which I think they are).

Good luck with the sale.

torger

I think there's a move down in price now on the lower end backs, after being stable for a couple of years, more sellers than buyers I suppose when sub 50 MP is losing its sexiness in the broad layers. I'm selling an older back myself and a frequent visitor to buy/sale forums so I'm not just guessing, prices are reaching the "well, then I rather keep it" level. No reason to panic just yet though, and $4000 is a fair price. Having V-mount seems to be the best receipe to sell a lower end back, if one doesn't have that more patience may be required.

ChrisLivsey

prices are reaching the "well, then I rather keep it" level.
My M8 has hit that level.
I have contended elsewhere that V fit digital backs at a lower price are a larger market that has been neglected. The number of bodies made alone should be an indicator of that but it is price sensitive although I am always surprised how many "new" high MP V ft backs crop up. I suppose it sounds a good idea but then the reality of shooting without mirror lock sets in, if only mount changes were not just silly money.