The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

advice for Studio flash and CFV 16

elrafo

Hello !

I am planning to buy a setup of 2 heads for a home studio, and wondering how many watts I need to shoot at 100 ISO with a 80mm Planar @ f/4.

I have been doing mainly outdoor shooting so far so now time to test a new world.

I tried 2x250W LEDs Panels, and this is way too low for my CFV...So I am in the process of buying 2 studio Flashs.

Do you think I can think like this = 2x400w, that would give me a 800W power ?

in your opinion , should I go for a setup of 2x600W for a better range of shooting with a CFV16 first edition (@100 max200W)

thanks a lot for the advice!

fotografz

Welcome to the world of studio lighting! I think it is a blast.

I used a CFV-16 v1 in and out of the studio for many years. It is a great back, and the Zeiss lenses are wonderful.

The answer to your question depends on what you are shooting, how much you will be modifying the light, and at what distance the lights will be from the subject.

For example, if you are shooting people you may wish to use a large modifier to wrap the light around the subject and soften it. Typically, this involves an Octabox or Softbox with an inner baffle and an outer diffuser … both of which soak up light. Modifiers are what studio work is all about. Beware umbrellas because they are very hard to control where the light goes … or better said, where it doesn't go.

BTW, are you sure you want to limit yourself to f/4 on a medium format camera? If you ever want to shoot closer you may be stopping down to f/8 or f/11 (which requires even more light).

I'd suggest the standard 500W/s units from most makers … or Paul C Buff Einsteins which deliver up to 640 W/s I think.

Also, if you are shooting people, you may want a third strobe to use as an accent or hair light.

- Marc

Shashin

With my Phase back, I use 400W/s and 600W/s Norman moonlights. The output is fine even with large light modifiers like an Octodome. The only thing with the Normans is that the IR output is relatively high and I have to filter the camera with an IR cut filter.

elrafo

thank you Guys !

I just bought 2x Metz 400W, and it works perfectly for what I need, now lots of practice to do and fun ;)

keep posted...